• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Pulled Pills ?

Big_les

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2024
new zealand
Why is it that people feel the need to tell me that such n such projectiles are pulled ?
Is there real evidence that pulled pills don't fly straight ? I notice occasionally a grip mark , or maybe a light scuff , but i have never seen one land sideways or do anything other than i ,d expect in a normal group ? some pills north , west , east and south . Some pills touching , but nothing that leads me to think ' yep that 2 inch flyer to the left " that ll be that pulled pill for sure "
or am i missing something ?
le

Depends on how the bullets were pulled.

Using a kinetic hammer you could have a slightly deformed ogive.

Using a collet bullet puller, you could have the lead core deformed without seeing it, depending how much force the user used. The copper jacket springs back slightly; the underlying lead not so much.

Both those cases do increase the dispersion of the affected bullets. Whether you would notice it depends on how well you and the rifle shoots and how bad the damage is.

I load lots of them for plinking rounds and the like.

Cheap, adequate and fun for short range stuff and beltfeds. It’s one of the only (affordable) sources for .303 British bullets, which are .311-.312”… not .308”.

I would definitely not use them for precision rounds!

But nothing wrong with pulled bullets.

Cheers, Sirhr

PS have not heard them called pills since the 2009 days when everyone was calling their rifle a stick. Ah nostalgia…

thanks for the rapid response, and insight .
So , i put a hundred more rounds in paper than i do in deer ! Mostly cuase i like to shoot well , and from time to time i will load just to keep my eye in rather than absolute accuarracy .
your post seems to suggest that pulled pills might be best for practice ?
cheers
les

Depends on how the bullets were pulled.

Using a kinetic hammer you could have a slightly deformed ogive.

Using a collet bullet puller, you could have the lead core deformed without seeing it, depending how much force the user used. The copper jacket springs back slightly; the underlying lead not so much.

Both those cases do increase the dispersion of the affected bullets. Whether you would notice it depends on how well you and the rifle shoots and how bad the damage is.
I load lots of them for plinking rounds and the like.

Cheap, adequate and fun for short range stuff and beltfeds. It’s one of the only (affordable) sources for .303 British bullets, which are .311-.312”… not .308”.

I would definitely not use them for precision rounds!

But nothing wrong with pulled bullets.

Cheers, Sirhr

PS have not heard them called pills since the 2009 days when everyone was calling their rifle a stick. Ah nostalgia…
Where b you to be shooting a .303 ? 50 yrs ago that was the only rifle i could afford and fired a shit load of FMJ thru deer , goats in new Zealand. Yep , memories .....

I'm against using second-hand bullets for anything other than practice or fouling shots. I believe it is irresponsible to use them for hunting and shortsighted to use them for competition.

Reactions: simonp
Where b you to be shooting a .303 ? 50 yrs ago that was the only rifle i could afford and fired a shit load of FMJ thru deer , goats in new Zealand. Yep , memories .....

USA. Enfield’s, Ross, Brens, Vickers….

‘Merika! We shoot British stuff too! (We stopped shooting the actual British a bit after 1812. But that could still change!).

Cheers!

Sirhr

• Haha
Reactions: XP1K and Aftermath
thanks for the rapid response, and insight .
So , i put a hundred more rounds in paper than i do in deer ! Mostly cuase i like to shoot well , and from time to time i will load just to keep my eye in rather than absolute accuarracy .
your post seems to suggest that pulled pills might be best for practice ?
cheers
les

I generally consider them best in non-critical applications.

Practice with a “non-precision” rifle on a 100 yard gong range… definitely. Belt fed where the accuracy is not world class… for sure.

Practice on a 500 yard precision range with a tier one rifle… not much point because unless you are just practicing trigger squeeze, the margin of error in the bullet may not let you know if you are improving.

And I generally would not use pulled FMJ for hunting except maybe in close brush or small game. Just because there are superior options for clean kills. That said, culling goats isn’t hunting pronghorn or elk.

Pulled bullets are a good cheap way to have fun when you don’t need a box of BTHP match rounds to go 1000. But as this is primarily a precision forum, most of what folks do here (myself included) is load a lot of rounds using what some might think is extreme attention to detail… in order to increase the performance of our shooting.

But again, plinking is fun too!

Cheers,

Sirhr

USA. Enfield’s, Ross, Brens, Vickers….

‘Merika! We shoot British stuff too! (We stopped shooting the actual British a bit after 1812. But that could still change!).

Cheers!

Sirhr
Noted your statement of quality ...
"Revera, vera nobilitas in qualitate et cura cuiuslibet operis, quantacumque sit magnitudo vel notabilitas, consistit. Et .303 Britannicus per centum annos accuratissimus erat!"

I used pulls in the 50bmg for plinking. Never had an issue with FMJ or API. Used a lot of “surplus” pulled powder as well. Feeding that monster is about efficiency
I was once a soldier .... a very long time ago . In training we fired , Brens , . More about training than any expectation of ever using them in action . The "real " weapons were M16, and the 7.62 SLR,s .

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I have used hundreds upon hundreds of pulled bullets for nighttime animal control out here with zero observed terminal performance issues (when compared to new bullets of equal make). Back in 2020, that was what I used to search for.

I am also shooting at relatively close distances. I probably wouldn’t try it on long range shots at animals. However I wouldn't hesitate to use any again.

I have used hundreds upon hundreds of pulled bullets for nighttime animal control out here with zero observed terminal performance issues (when compared to new bullets of equal make). Back in 2020, that was what I used to search for.

I am also shooting at relatively close distances. I probably wouldn’t try it on long range shots at animals. However I wouldn't hesitate to use any again.
thats pretty much my experience as well .... never found anything i could say was definetly to do with the fact it was a pulled projectile . What i was wondering though , is there real evidence that pulled projectiles dont fly straight ?

I've shot a lot of pulled 175s. A lot. Yes I like to know if they are pulled. I've seen a lot of variability in bullet ogive and length.

I think it just comes down to one maybe was produces 15 years before the other etc. Maybe were made during machine warm up or whatever.

I definitely think it matters if one is running cartridges hot and close to the lands.

All that said, I load pulls accordingly and love them very much lol...