• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
j741 - great rebuttal - I'm always impressed this this forum - people can disagree with each other and civil communication can occur. It's like we are all adults (yay for us!)

honestly, yes. I'd rather know less from PVA on the details. "we are working hard and building rifles as quickly as possible. here's a picture of the 20 rifles we are assembling today orders starting @ 1777" - perfect

complaining that their business partners and the government is the reason for slow delivery reeks of poor management on many levels and sounds a lot more like excuses made to calm the masses rather than reveal the actual issues.

I honestly think they've dug themselves a huge hole in this thread.

we are too busy to answer the phones, but we aren't shipping any products because our suppliers are holding us up. if you aren't building rifles, then why aren't you answering the phone? I work for a very large company (small but important cog in a very large machine) and I spend 5 minutes per day crafting an email to interested parties on where the $20m project is at with potential issues. simple, easy stuff. business/engineering 101.

I'm a PRS noob, fully admitted. I bought into the hype last spring regrading the JHR and pulled the trigger selling my with the preorder and I sold my Tikka. that was a mistake on my part. I fully expect to receive a rifle eventually, and I really, really hope it is awesome (most of the reports have been very positive so I'm hopeful). But, I don't know that I'd ever buy another rifle from PVA or American Rifle Company (why are they developing a new action when they cannot meet their current customer's needs?). I don't want my hand held, but this whole ordeal has been run pretty badly.

I understand that PVA is a small/new business. That's great on many levels, but I expect more/better communication from small/new businesses because they don't have the track record the other guys do and need to prove they can carve out their own space in the marketplace.

Reactions: patriot07
I come back here occasionally and read a bit of this thread. Almost as much drama as that tard from Utah and the Snipershide group buy rifle. Ok, maybe not almost but there’s enough here that has made me glad I didn’t order one of these when they came out.

I hope it works out well for PVA. It sucks relying on others for anything especially in the mfg world.

Reactions: Bender
I hesitate to speculate, fully admitting that I don't have all the info, but I will say that the amount of new products rolled out at SHOT by ARC when they're supposedly having trouble meeting Nucleus orders was... Troubling.

Boy you aren’t the only one. I was stunned at that shit. Why not save some face and release the action and chassis at the precision expo? Talk about tone deaf.

Reactions: timmirvin
Shit happens.

I think the first domino to fall was the ATF marking variance delay.

That made ARC have to sit on a bunch of actions which I bet wasn't a part of their contract. Together with the other difficulty I bet PVA wound up at the back of the line.

When the cash flow isn't flowing, the rifles don't either. Now they get hit with Rock Creek having a production slowdown and KRG not delivering chassis (which I believe, gun part lead time is always a crap shoot).

They will get this figured out.

I'm not worried about a rush in 2020, the Dems don't have anyone I would consider a real contender and the Democrat pretenders are going to be hurting each other all the way up until the end of primaries.

I think we have to worry more about RINOs passing stupid shit than the 2020 presidential race.

j741 - great rebuttal - I'm always impressed this this forum - people can disagree with each other and civil communication can occur. It's like we are all adults (yay for us!)

Are you calling me an adult? Now that’s just insulting. So much for civil communication! ?

I’m like you in being a noob. Only bought my first rifle about a year and a half ago. I'm more used to other industries and originally steered clear of considering any custom built rifle due to what I head about unpredictable timing and bad communication being the norm. With the Nucleus B/A deal, it was tempting enough in price for me to take the risk. Admittedly though, I figured even if they missed dates that it still would arrive before Dec '18. Shows how well I guess that one. My main issue with the handling had been the lack of updates on progress and timelines. It would seem that Josh is more aware of that now and hopefully it can improve going forward. Heck, I'd even be willing to apply some of my day-job experiences to help him automate that.

The reasons I'm steering away from ARC are not tied just to their handling of the deal here. I've read other negative feedback on Ted and how his admittedly good engineering is overshadowed by the customer service experience from ARC. When ARC did somewhat comment on their not shipping actions to PVA they still insulted the end customers in the way they worded their statement. Book smart and customer/market smart can be very different. Even in their Archimedes announcement thread there were a number of comments about avoiding ARC's v1 products and the numerous patches they have before being all ready to go. Sounds more like the computer software world with beta products being released and patched till they're ready. I get enough of that in my other live, for shooting sports I'm going to stick with more predictable and reliable actions.

Last edited:
Reactions: manki77
First, Excise Tax:
I think I read in here just recently where someone suggested a possible understanding for the fact that the non refundable deposits are instead accounted towards PVA products.

That is certainly something I can discuss with folks however there will be some limitations to it. It cannot be applied to custom ordered parts and it's not going to be applied to a different action or anything that has excise involved in it. It CAN be a credit towards shop labor or parts we have on the shelf such as brakes, barrel nuts, action wrenches, etc.

I take full credit for this awesome suggestion...:)

Reactions: FbSa and bohem
I pre-ordered a Nucleus last year. It was tough waiting for the delayed delivery but the final product is very good.

I pre-ordered again for the Archimedes and Xylo this year.

I'm not too worried this time. The Archimedes is mostly Nucleus so most of the small parts are currently in production, only the new bolt body/handle and a slightly different receiver have to ramp up and since they had to invest in new machines to get Nucleus production going, they already have all the capability they need in house. Since the Xylo is aluminum and doesn't need heat treat, I think that ramp should be pretty easy too.

One thing to realize is that both ARC and PVA are significantly bigger companies today than they were a year ago. They have had growing pains and it has shown in delays and some customer service shortcomings but beside the Nucleus bolt head issue (which has an exchange program), I've never heard of quality issues from either company.

I would much rather deal with a customer service shortcoming than poor quality so ARC is still on my good list and PVA is on my short list for my next barrel purchase.

Of course if people want to get upset and avoid those companies, that's their right but they will miss out on some fantastic products.

Is the an exchange program? I heard there would be, I haven’t seen outreach of any kind.
Ted announced it and said 500 bolt heads were going to be replaced.

I'm guessing that he's prioritized meeting the Archimedes pre-order ship date rather than rolling out the exchange program.

I think that is the right move because the bolt head issue is not a safety or function recall, it's just a product improvement for cycling feel as I understand it. If it makes my Nucleus feel better, wow.

Adding to what Padom said, anyone who is not a PVA customer and you come in here starting trouble you will be banned. This thread needs to remain civil and not take up Josh's time when he could be working on rifles. Too many in here have no rifles even ordered or customers of PVA but just starting shit. This is the only warning to stop.

think I am going to just get a 25lb spring for my JH from ARC, I am still getting the occasional light strike. I’d really like to not have the bolt lift get heavier but I need to not worry about light strikes.

Adding to what Padom said, anyone who is not a PVA customer and you come in here starting trouble you will be banned. This thread needs to remain civil and not take up Josh's time when he could be working on rifles. Too many in here have no rifles even ordered or customers of PVA but just starting shit. This is the only warning to stop.
I, for one, am a customer of PVA...and I agree with this... It is not a 'business management' seminar...Lol JSNS

Rob, I mean no offense, but since when did we have to be customers of a certain business in order to post on this forum? What about the countless other threads of other products/businesses? Must we have proof of purchase before we can post to those threads? Not seeing how people posting in this thread would affect Josh being able to work on rifles. He does have other means of communicating with his customers... email maybe?

There are threads that get messy all the time, not so sure why this one is a special case, given that most of the outcry seems warranted IMO.

Not to mention, good luck finding ANYBODY in this industry that would even agree to the terms people are suggesting should have been placed by PVA. There would be no JHR in existence if that was the requisite bc every other potential partner in this would tell PVA to go fuck themselves.
Spoken like someone who has zero experience w/ MFG contracts in this industry.

I keep seeing this "time answering questions on a forum could be used to build rifles" and always end up thinking - how long does it take everyone else to check a thread and reply? its like a 5 min process. Could easily be done on the toilet every morning. Id be willing to bet PVA isnt running a machine from a stall.

Rob, I mean no offense, but since when did we have to be customers of a certain business in order to post on this forum? What about the countless other threads of other products/businesses? Must we have proof of purchase before we can post to those threads? Not seeing how people posting in this thread would affect Josh being able to work on rifles. He does have other means of communicating with his customers... email maybe?

There are threads that get messy all the time, not so sure why this one is a special case, given that most of the outcry seems warranted IMO.

Because non customers are in here just sitting shit for no reason other than it's the internet. If a non customer wants to come in and ask a respectful question as they are interested than that's fine but the shit storm in here is done. Anyone starting anything will be banned. Plain and simple. Lots of other threads on the Bear Pit for people who just want to start shit. Keep it respectful and it will be fine.

Reactions: miles13242
Because non customers are in here just sitting shit for no reason other than it's the internet. If a non customer wants to come in and ask a respectful question as they are interested than that's fine but the shit storm in here is done. Anyone starting anything will be banned. Plain and simple. Lots of other threads on the Bear Pit for people who just want to start shit. Keep it respectful and it will be fine.

I understand what you're trying to get at, but at the time it seems stupid. I have read most of this thread and I haven't really seen people starting shit or being disrespectful. I see unhappy customers who have been waiting for months (or over a year?) for something that has been delayed time and time again for various reasons. I see a few non-customers making some smart ass remarks, but it hardly seems disrespectful, and I don't see how moderator intervention was necessary.

I don't think anyone was aware that this was PVA's "safe space" and I would like to point out that they started this thread, no one else. I would suggest that if they want to continue posting their order updates in this fashion, without input from non-customers and to keep on topic, they should become a forum vendor with their own subforum. They could have a specific "stickied" update thread that only they can post in where they could provide all these updates. I'm sure it would actually be a great benefit to PVA and to their customers who currently have to look at a 27 page thread to find out why they are still waiting for something they ordered many months ago.

I'm hoping you see the sense in what I am saying, but regardless I will not be posting in this thread anymore as I do not wish to offend anyone in here or cause any troubles.

It's hard being an FFL. Here in California I have seen a few fail or leave the state just because the overhead and paperwork requirements are too much.

Manufacturers have it even harder and that's before trolls stir shit and scare away potential customers.

We need to support FFLs and Manufacturers or else we won't have any guns to talk about.

Listen to Rob.

Reactions: wbbh
think I am going to just get a 25lb spring for my JH from ARC, I am still getting the occasional light strike. I’d really like to not have the bolt lift get heavier but I need to not worry about light strikes.
@TheMammoth -
yes, please let us know on the 25lb spring. I have been worried about the light strikes since Josh brought a 308 JHR to Scott's '18 ELR match in WY and experienced light strikes (which actually hurt his performance more than the cartridge choice ... his 308 load was his 198gr Flatlines at ~2800fps, meaning his exterior ballistics pretty closely tracked a 300WM w/ 230gr Berger. As I understand, he was the only 308 in the field of 100+).

In my mind, they have got to solve this light strike issue 100%, not 99%, for me to consider... I would love to get a JHR in 6 Dasher if its 100% solved.

Reactions: TheMammoth
@TheMammoth -
yes, please let us know on the 25lb spring. I have been worried about the light strikes since Josh brought a 308 JHR to Scott's '18 ELR match in WY and experienced light strikes (which actually hurt his performance more than the cartridge choice ... his 308 load was his 198gr Flatlines at ~2800fps, meaning his exterior ballistics pretty closely tracked a 300WM w/ 230gr Berger. As I understand, he was the only 308 in the field of 100+).

In my mind, they have got to solve this light strike issue 100%, not 99%, for me to consider... I would love to get a JHR in 6 Dasher if its 100% solved.

I will keep you updated. PVA has been in contact with me also. I have an email in to ARC for the stronger spring but I know they are slammed like everyone else right now.

Justin

The only company that belongs under the bus is ARC. They are the ones that have done back handed business by selling actions out from under PVA when they had open and past due purchase orders.

Ted never impressed me as that kind of guy. Either this did not happen or we are lacking context.

Since I've ordered a nucleus barreled action, can anyone tell me if they work with Bix n' Andy Tacsport Triggers? I ran it on my Bergara HMR-14 and loved it. Hoping this works out with the Nucleus I have on order.
B n A has a sear height listed for it so I assume they have worked with it.

I am also waiting on a Nucleus and hope my Huber jives well with it.

Reactions: Nathan11B
Since I've ordered a nucleus barreled action, can anyone tell me if they work with Bix n' Andy Tacsport Triggers? I ran it on my Bergara HMR-14 and loved it. Hoping this works out with the Nucleus I have on order.

The low sear is what u need. From reports, the best 3 running triggers so far have been the tacsport, mod22, and diamond. You'll be fine as long as u run the low sear.

I just received an email from PVA updating status. nothing pertaining to my rifle, and not much new info. Still happy to see that they are taking in feedback and communicating better..
my JHR is 2331 (4/1/18) so I'm probably a ways out still...

I just received an email from PVA updating status. nothing pertaining to my rifle, and not much new info. Still happy to see that they are taking in feedback and communicating better..
my JHR is 2331 (4/1/18) so I'm probably a ways out still...
I rec'd the same email... I think this will improve communications...IMHO...PVA is dealing with supplier issues as well as can be expected... At least PVA doesn't have Boeing's customer relations problems...:)

"
Good Morning,
We have received some feedback that our targeted updates are not reaching everyone. Sometimes they are landing in the recipient’s “SPAM folder.” We’re working with our Email provider to see if there’s a way to alleviate that specific issue. In the meantime, we’ve elected to send this status update to all customers with outstanding orders of any kind.

We know many of you have been waiting for barreled actions and John Hancock Rifles purchased in 2018. We’ve experienced on number of supply-related issues and we wanted to send out an update covering issues pertaining to fulfilling your orders.

First, Excise Tax:
If you placed a deposit for an JHR or barreled action, you were asked to pay a deposit. This deposit secured the order for action from the manufacturer and went towards paying the excise tax for these components. Some customers have suggested applying the nonrefundable deposits towards PVA products.
That is certainly something we can discuss with folks however there will be some limitations to it. It cannot be applied to custom ordered parts and it's not going to be applied to a different action or anything that has excise involved in it. It CAN be a credit towards shop labor or parts we have on the shelf such as brakes, barrel nuts, action wrenches, etc.

Second, Barrels:
We are experiencing delays in getting barrel blanks to fill orders. We found out earlier this week that Rock Creek is down 2 machinists in a shop of only 6 or 7 people to start. We’ve asked Russ about posting on it earlier in the week and he gave us the green light to talk about it so another email went out as fast as we could broadcast it.
They are working to get us more blanks, we got a crate this week with 60 barrels in it and those will be gone off to customers in the next 10-14 days. It also brings us up to the next 26 Nucleus orders that we have actions here and we will be filling those out immediately. We have another status call with them in the middle of the week so that they can get us an accurate projection of the blanks being shipped to us.

They're working to get more people in and trained up. We're trying to be patient with them as we completely understand what it means to have a person in the shop vs. a person who knows what they're doing in the shop. Believe us when we say, it benefits all of us to have the right work done the first time.

Third, John Hancock Rifles:
For the first time since the project started, we are not waiting on ARC for actions. We are building the batches of rifles and since we got receivers in the 2nd week of January we have shipped a complete batch of 20 on top of billed for the next batch and are currently cutting those.
This is true of Nucleus orders, we got in actions the 3rd week of January and are cutting those orders currently to get them out the door as fast as possible.
Just as a metric: The lead time from Actions to delivered rifles or barreled actions has, until this month, been under 2 weeks. Right now, with the availability of blanks we're looking to be about 6 weeks total time from actions arriving to the rifles shipping.
KRG notified us late last week that there will be a delay in BRAVO chassis though we didn't get a projection of the length of delay. We found out this week that it's going to be end of March before they will have stocks on a truck to us. In the meantime, we're simply going to cut and assemble Hancock barreled actions so that the arrival of stocks gets rifles out the door in the following week.

Fourth, Status Updates:
We have put together a new process with the help of Rick, our 'new guy' to have a lead time projection and "orders filled this week" email to folks weekly. Jeremy is finishing up the lists into a format that we can email out regularly. The website lends itself to products on the shelf and not products that need to be built.

Going forward:
We are aware that our communication has been imperfect. It has failed in several cases and unfortunately that's not time we can get back. What we can do is change that process so that we get the communication done. We feel that if we send an update and nothing has changed then another update is not necessary; only sending status updates when something changes. Apparently, this is not what the customer wants so we're going to update that and change that.

Not everything is quite so simple as some in this thread would suggest. Claiming how easy it is to sell something in the PX and not have problems is a red herring. Our order fulfillment rate is, based on overall order count, over 97% filled within 1 business day. Parts on the shelf ship next business day over 99.7% of the time. The customer complaints come from custom ordered pieces.
Our lead time isn't as fast as some but when customers supply the parts our lead time is quite short because we simply need to do the work as opposed to find all the parts and then do the work.

We've learned several lessons in this endeavor. In the past year our capability to push barrels through the shop has increased nearly 10-fold. Every month our actual throughput of chambering jobs goes up. We are not at capacity of the machinery, we are struggling primarily with parts availability. It's a hard pill to swallow that we're dropping the ball on our customers, that's the last thing we want to do.

One thing that we refuse to compromise and will continue to maintain is that the quality of the product will not be pushed behind the lead time. Things are right or they don't go out. If someone has an issue with something we made then we will support it. We think this is supported by the customer testimonials on the Hancocks. They are indeed late, there is a substantial delay from the government agency we've all come to love, but the rifle is exactly as advertised on the range... they are hammers. We will not sacrifice the ability to make the best product in the market for lead time. This is why we stick with Rock Creek as a barrel manufacturer. They make excellent blanks and even being behind on production they are not sending us trash just to appease the customer nor will we.

Thank you for your continued patience and support. We deeply value your business and look forward to filling your orders as soon as we can.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Patriot Valley Arms
792 Dorlan Mill Road
Downingtown, PA 19335
Shop: (405) 753-0608"

Email received this morning

"KRG notified us late last week that there will be a delay in BRAVO chassis though we didn't get a projection of the length of delay. We found out this week that it's going to be end of March before they will have stocks on a truck to us."

I was told this, by Jeremy, 3 weeks ago when I called to inquire about my JHR.

This question is for PVA. IF it comes to a time where everything is ready save the KRG bravo stocks, would you be willing to sell the rifles w/o the stock at the cost minus your cost for the bravo? I realize this for some would bump them out of the production PRS class, but for others that isn’t a consideration and there are lots of great stock options. I don’t know if this would violate an agreement between PVA and KRG - it probably would.

Reactions: TKO and diverdon
This question is for PVA. IF it comes to a time where everything is ready save the KRG bravo stocks, would you be willing to sell the rifles w/o the stock at the cost minus your cost for the bravo? I realize this for some would bump them out of the production PRS class, but for others that isn’t a consideration and there are lots of great stock options. I don’t know if this would violate an agreement between PVA and KRG - it probably would.
I think there’s a number of factors involved. Even besides the fact that probably can't disclose or hint at what their cost was on the Bravo. The whole Hancock idea was based on a limited set of options to keep production costs low It allows PVA to sell them at this price. When you
factor in that it is more than just not including the stock, but the logistical changes of pulling some items from assembly line process, having someone spend more time dealing with customer requests, and the manual time & costs of processing partial refunds (or just allowing credit toward another ARC item), I bet it adds up pretty quick. Even in the very remote chance it was offered, I would't expect to get back all that much of the cost of the Bravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.