• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Question about.22lr competition build

So if I were to stop testing for practice ammo now and went with the info I had, the best grouping ammo I tested at 50, 100 and 200 had the following data.

50 meters 10 shots ES 25.7 SD 8.5

100 meters 20 shots ES 13.8 SD 4.1

200 meters 20 shots ES 25.4 SD 6

Is having an extreme spread number that high something to be considered with when considering .22 competition stuff?
And I assume that the SD numbers are looking good?

Those numbers look fine. If it's accurate stop testing and start practicing.

Reactions: 375fan and LR1845
So if I were to stop testing for practice ammo now and went with the info I had, the best grouping ammo I tested at 50, 100 and 200 had the following data.

50 meters 10 shots ES 25.7 SD 8.5

100 meters 20 shots ES 13.8 SD 4.1

200 meters 20 shots ES 25.4 SD 6

Is having an extreme spread number that high something to be considered with when considering .22 competition stuff?
And I assume that the SD numbers are looking good?
An ES of 25fps is not high, it's almost as good as you can expect from from 22lr.

It's certainly not high enough to lose you first place at a match.
I'd even venture to say CCI SV is good enough for most club matches, and unless you are constantly in the top 10 a high ES isn't going to be holding you back.

Reactions: mberlin74
Question about cleaning the barrel. Ive seen many posts and videos regarding cleaning and that you can go though thousands and thousands of rounds without needing to clean. Basically clean it when you start to see your accuracy dropping off.
What I’m curious about is all the lot testing that I did. I ran at least 7 or 8 different brands of .22 through it until I settled on one. Now that I’ve got my ammo to use, should it be cleaned to get all the different oils and other stuff that’s coated on the case out of the barrel and start fresh with my new ammo of choice? And then moving forward only clean it when it seems to be affecting accuracy?

Question about cleaning the barrel. Ive seen many posts and videos regarding cleaning and that you can go though thousands and thousands of rounds without needing to clean. Basically clean it when you start to see your accuracy dropping off.
What I’m curious about is all the lot testing that I did. I ran at least 7 or 8 different brands of .22 through it until I settled on one. Now that I’ve got my ammo to use, should it be cleaned to get all the different oils and other stuff that’s coated on the case out of the barrel and start fresh with my new ammo of choice? And then moving forward only clean it when it seems to be affecting accuracy?
I clean more frequently than just waiting for accuracy to drop off, especially the camber and the receiver/breach face.
If I'm going into these areas with cleaning compound it's going to get into the bore so I may as well clean that too.

There is no right or wrong way to do cleaning, you'll need to find a process that works for you.
Just don't get hung up on the though that cleaning is bad and to be avoided if possible.

I would clean the barrel now you are starting on a new case of ammo, no good reason not too.

I clean more frequently than just waiting for accuracy to drop off, especially the camber and the receiver/breach face.
If I'm going into these areas with cleaning compound it's going to get into the bore so I may as well clean that too.

There is no right or wrong way to do cleaning, you'll need to find a process that works for you.
Just don't get hung up on the though that cleaning is bad and to be avoided if possible.

I would clean the barrel now you are starting on a new case of ammo, no good reason not too.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely keep this in consideration as I move forward.

Imo waiting for accuracy to fall off before cleaning is rather foolish. How many rounds does it take to decide accuracy has deteriorated versus just plain missing the target?

Anyway. I have been very happy with Greg Roman's (Vudoo) cleaning approach: remove carbon and crud from the chamber and get loose powder residue from the bore without removing the coat of lubricant. Cleaning is quick and easy - I very seldom disassemble my rifles' bolts; I just don't find enough debris in them to justify every-cleaning disassembly.

Here's Greg's video.

I clean about three hundred rounds, barrels and brakes (Brakes on centerfire rifles) to keep the carbon ring down. 22’s in general and 6GT’s using Varget are famous for acquiring carbon. That’s what I shoot.