• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Question: How many scope clicks.....

Play Fair

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2012
Question:

300 yards with -21.6" Bullet Drop.....how many 'clicks' with a .25 MOA Scope?

Is the math POI .... Bullet Drop / Range = MOA
then .... MOA x 4 (for 4 clicks on scope)

I know this sounds stupid, but that is exactly how I feel right now.

(S&W 5.56/223, 1-8 twist, Sierra MK HPBT 69g Varget 24.0
Leup 6.5x20-2.5"scope/bbl, Elev 785')

Re: Question: How many scope clicks.....

28 clicks plus 2 fer good measure

the 2 fer good measure was a joke

( Bullet Drop / Range in Hundreds ) / 1.0472 = MOA

In the scenario you gave, you would multiply MOA by 4.
6.8 MOA times 4 = 28 clicks.

The guys on here advise - to think in MOA or MILS.

First off Welcome to Snipershide!

Second there is no stupid question, so don't feel stupid.

My iPhone programs tell me 21.6 inches of drop is about 6.75 MOA, how it figures that I don't know, and I don't care, to me inches of drop is useless information, how many MOA do I need to dail in my scope is whats important, I don't count clicks, if I need 5.5 MOA I simply turn the knob on my scope to that and send the round, 22 clicks is 5.5 MOA, so yes MOA x 4 = how many 1/4moa clicks, but what you'll find out is its very easy to get lost by counting clicks, this is why Target Knobs were invented.

Here is a free online ballistic calculator that is very powerful but easy to use.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
The information it spits out will be spot on if the information programed in to it is spot on.

Welcome......best advise, switch to mil
wink.gif

For what it's worth, I use this formula;

Deviation in inches / (range/100) / .262 (true quarter MOA value)

In your question it goes like this:

21.6" / (300/100) / .262 or

21.6 / 3 / .262 = 27.480916. That rounds down to 27. This formula is dead on with Ballistic FTE on my iPhone.

HRF

Are you counting clicks? I'd get completely lost doing that.

The formula is not hard to use, it's just a matter of getting used to using it. The nice thing about it is it's extremely adaptable. As long as you know your distance from the target in yards, the deviation of your trajectory in inches, and the MOA value of the clicks on your sight (scope), you can work the formula.

It's especially helpful when you get into scenarios where you're shooting at odd distances. Let's say a Sniper is set up at 283 yards from a given target. With a quick check of his ballistic table (and probably a bit of extrapolation), he determines his bullet will drop 12.7" at that distance. Does anyone have their ballistic program set up to give a precise sight adjustment for a 12.7" correction at 283yards? No? So what's our sniper to do? Simple, he just runs this formula (or, more likely his spotter does). Since he already knows the click value of his scope is 1/4 MOA (.262"), the formula would go like this:

12.7 / (283/100) / .262 or

12.7 / 2.83 / .262 = 17.12 clicks of elevation to compensate for the drop at that distance (the decimal remainder actually works out to more than that, but it doesn't matter because you can't put .1283684 "clicks" on your sight, so you simply round it to the nearest whole click, in this case that's 17).

This formula also adapts to any sight so long as you know the MOA click value for that sight. Just substitute that value for your last division factor. If you have a sight calibrated in 1/8 MOA, that factor would be .131". If it's half MOA then the factor would be .524. And, for you MIL-Mil guys, if you use 3.6 as your final factor, your solution will be expressed in Mils. If you use .36 your solution will be in .1 Mil clicks. In my example above, the formula would look like this for a .1 mil solution.

12.7 / 2.83 / .36 = 12 clicks of adjustment to correct for the 12.7" of deviation at 283 yards (I just ignored the decimal remainder and did the rounding for you).

This is a great formula, it works for any sight, at any distance, and so long as your numbers are correct and your click values are precise, it will put you POA/POI at any distance.

Did I happen to mention I hated math in school?

HRF

There are numbers on the side of the scope so you don't have to count clicks.