• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Radio recommendations

Same here. Baofengs laying around in case kids lose or I break em, with 1/4 wave antennas.
Yaesu or kenwood mobiles in the house and vehicles.

Thankfully fcc doesn’t make a fuss over much unless someone is deliberately being a dork.

Hams on the other hand, yeah. I have been chewed out by old hams for saying “10-4” on the ham bands. lol. I think they are just upset cause we didn’t want to join in their boring old club of a dozen guys. So we made our own club and have 50+ members of all ages.

I like gmrs for its simplicity of pre selected channels, but nobody around here uses that. so for us, ham made more sense in our area with all the 2m amateur repeaters already in play.
I could any radio I want, but use GMRS. 40 watt in my vehicle and 5 watts on the talkies.

But that is not the point. It's the access. Especially in an emergency. Here in FL where we have hurricanes all the time, it's a must to have comms that are not dependent on cell phones. Been there learned my lesson the hard way.

About the access, it is superb - that is what makes GMRS so powerful. As of today we have 119 repeaters in FL, most of them open, so just tune in and talk. Those no only allow you to extend your range dramatically, especially with talkies, but you can easily connect with people outside of Florida, like say Nebraska. The Repeaters are linked via internet to other repeaters all over the country so you can always find someone talk to.

I'm never going back. GMRS is it for me.

I could any radio I want, but use GMRS. 40 watt in my vehicle and 5 watts on the talkies.

But that is not the point. It's the access. Especially in an emergency. Here in FL where we have hurricanes all the time, it's a must to have comms that are not dependent on cell phones. Been there learned my lesson the hard way.

About the access, it is superb - that is what makes GMRS so powerful. As of today we have 119 repeaters in FL, most of them open, so just tune in and talk. Those no only allow you to extend your range dramatically, especially with talkies, but you can easily connect with people outside of Florida, like say Nebraska. The Repeaters are linked via internet to other repeaters all over the country so you can always find someone talk to.

I'm never going back. GMRS is it for me.
I agree. I like gmrs. But there are zero in north central Idaho.
Florida has well over 100.