• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rate of fire on a precision semi-auto

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
Do the same rules of rate of fire apply for semi-auto precision rifles as bolt guns?

I would hate to damage a precision semi using it like a standard AR.

Beyond common sense, are there any specific parameters to follow?

Advice?

I emailed xcaliber asking about diffrent rifling and twist rates for a 6 arc whenni was shopping barrels.

"It generally depends on what type of bullet and what type of shooting you're doing. The differences are very slight, however, the 6 groove tends to handle the very heavy bullets a bit more consistently, while the 5R and 3R/3Groove afford a better gas seal behind the bullet, are easier to clean and allow for ever so slightly higher and more consistent muzzle velocities and reduced spin-drift at distance, at the expense of faster heat-generation. In ARs, I tend to prefer 6 Groove because it is a bit more robust and can handle the relative higher volume of shooting. If I was using a 5rd magazines and shooting very, very slowly, I might lean towards 5R or 3R."

Best Regards,

-Steve
X-Caliber Barrel & MFG

• Wow
Reactions: sloporsche
If you are really interested in this subject - read up on 'Heat Checking'. A more bottle nosed cartridge will (generally) induce more heat; couple this with an advanced rate of fire and you can get a situation where checking or cracking in the subsurface layer of the finished barrel can occur. With subsequent firing these cracked layers flake off. Needless to say - there are a lot of variables on all that.

Pound out an occasional full mag on steel - sure. All the time...probably going to shorten the life of barrel.....which is a consumable....

Cue the video of the black guy and the queer larp’r comparing AR meltdowns or whatever that video was about
IMG_6100.jpeg

I only use Colt original crome lined 5.56 barrel for mag dumps. 16.5" cut down 20" Hbar and fluted, with rifle length gas and .122" dia has port.
It has a titanium carrier, so it's really fast, like 1080 rds per minute, without hammer follow through...it gets smokin hot. But it's for fun.
More serious ARs, I do not do mag dumps, but don't worry much about barrel heat...generally,...except the AR 10 in Ruger 338 Compact Magnum has done a few mag dumps,...for stump removal.

• Haha
Reactions: oldrifleman
You always shoot a gasser faster than a bolt, even if you try to shoot slow you cant. Its like having a fast car and
and not punching it out. Im not talking about mag dump bullshit just more rounds fired per minute than a bolt gun.

Reactions: 45-90
While I don't "mag dump" my precision AR's , I do want to know what 10rd rapid fired groups look like.

When I say rapid fire I mean, on POA at the target, fire , on POA at the target, fire... repeat..
That’s how I shoot my groups on a cadence. I don’t sit around and wait for something magical to happen, I just repeat the fundamentals rapidly and get .3" - .6” 5rd groups from rifles that will do it.

I wouldn't call it a mag dump but I definitely rapidly checked function on my PRS rifle last year, and occasionally fired off 15 round magazines in less than 15 seconds as soon as I was on target for fun, because I could. If you make a habit of it you'll surely see decreased barrel life but they make more barrels.

One fun thing I enjoy is seeing how far out you can double-tap a steel target with AR-15s, especially from different positions.

It’s especially fun at night through wide FOV NVDs on the gun, suppressed. Was doing it at 700yds from seated position in one of the courses last year.

Reactions: bfoosh006