• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Recommendations for a powder measure solvent

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
My powder measure is apparently gummed up to the point that I can't use it consistently. I've only loaded about 1000 rounds through it so far but it needs a cleaning. What is your favorite non-petroleum based solvent for cleaning your powder measures? Any recommendations are much appreciated.

Re: Recommendations for a powder measure solvent

Which measure and what caused it to "gum up" so quickly? I rarely clean measures. When I do, I disassemble them and throw the parts in the tumbler for several hours.

Well, first off we need to know WHO made your P/M.
FWIW: I clean the metal parts on mine with actone or MEK(OUTSIDE!)
Also to keep powder from sticking to your P/Ms inside ground your press/powder measure. The dryer sheet thing is a temp fix AT BEST.
Respectfully,
LG

I don't use the drier sheet thing for static for this very reason. I use a mechanical ground. When I clean a powder measure I use alcohol and an air hose on a lower pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would start with nothing stronger than isopropyl alcohol (the 70% stuff::rubbing alcohol) and let dry. </div></div>
If you use ISO go with the highest "%" you can find.
It will have less water in it.
Respectfully,
LG

I'm using the forster powder measure. I'll try the rubbing alcohol first and see if that does the trick. If not, I'll go get some carb cleaner. I'm really jonesin' to load some rounds so I've got to get this fixed ASAP.

I usually use mineral spirits/oderless paint thinner for cleaning oily things (dies/presses) and something like Windex, 409, household ammonia, etc, for "dirty" things like measures and scales. A light dusting of powdered graphite to lube a powder measure after cleaning helps too.

MEK, acetone, carb/brake cleaners will instantly and permanetly blush any plastic and often softens & removes paint too. That's some good stuff for anything all metal but it's much to strong to be around plastic powder hoppers and measure paint for my taste.

Take it apart and swab the inside down with isopropyl alcohol, then make sure it is dry.

I have been loading 20+ years and never had a powder measure gum up!! I have used everyone on the market from the $$$$ to the cheap Lee perfect powder measure. Not one of them ever gummed up.

Something sounds off!

I typically do not like to clean out the measure with any harsh chemicals. The more you use the powder measure the better they typically get due to graphite powder film that builds on the parts from the powder. It acts like a lubricant! I personally would avoid doing that if possible! I would bet there is another reason for the measure not working properly. Contact Forster and tell them your problem before cleaning it with a bunch of chemicals!

Just my .02

Terry

Using a fresh drier sheet for static will leave a film that will cause a gummy buildup. Since I cleaned my Harrell's about a year after I got it, I have never had a problem with buildup either. That one time I cleaned everything with alcohol, cured the problem. But I still use a wire to ground off the static electricity.

Well, I used the carb cleaner and had the same results. I think some of the lubrication I used to get the swing arm a little more consistent is somehow getting into the chamber. I'll be tearing the whole thing apart and starting from scratch. More to follow.

I would not use any kind of liquid lubricant on the inside working parts of the powder measure. Most lubricants will "kill" propellant powders. As well as cause the powder kernels to gum up in closely fitting areas that might get access to the powder.