Rifle Scopes Red dot sizes

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
A little confused about the apparant sizes of red dots if someone could help clarify for me.

The reason why i'm asking is I am looking at the ACOG TA11H (horseshoe reticle) it has a 2 moa dot at the center. The scope is 3.5x magnification. There is another TA33H which is the same reticle, but 3x mag. Will these two dots appear different in apparent size?

The way I look at it, when sighting at a target at 100 yds, the dot should cover about 1" of space. However for comparsion sake say the scope is 100x mag with almost no field of view and the same 2 moa dot in the middle, would't that dot appear HUGE? Using that logic would it be okay to assume a 2 moa dot on the TA33H would appear smaller than the TA11H?

Also, does that mean a 1x mag aimpoint with 2 moa dot will appear smaller still compared to the TA33H ACOG?

Re: Red dot sizes

Someone will correct me if im wrong but a 2 MOA dot means it will cover a 2" circle on a target that is 100 yards away, no matter what the magnification.

A 100x scope with a 2 MOA dot is the same size as a 10x or 1x with the same 2 MOA specification...

A 2 MOA dot is a 2 MOA no matter what. Whenever you zoom in on a scope, the red dot becomes magnified and so does the target, so proportionally the 2 MOA dot at 3x and at 3.5x are the same size. Hope this helps!

You are correct, Mall Ninja. A 1 MOA dot at 100 yards covers a 1 inch circle, 2 MOA dot covers a 2 inch circle, 4 MOA dot covers a 4 inch circle, etc...

I see, that is what I thought as well. So that means the dot will cover the same amount of surface area on the target at 100 yards as long as they're all 2 MOA for example, however to the person sitting behind the scope the dot will sure look different size the 3x one will be a tiny dot in his view while on the 100x scope that red dot will literally take up most of the field of view.