• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rem 700 PSS?

Shootinsurveyor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
VA
I was in a pawn shop today and found a heavy barrel 308 with a cheap scope priced at 700. Do any of the remington tactical or sendero rifles have anything denoting what they are marked on the barrel or other visible places? It looked like a 5r or PSS. The gunstock buttpad just said remington so no help if it was a HS or not. Any help would be appreciated because I think I can ge tthis rifle at a really good price

Thanks

Re: Rem 700 PSS?

Sounds like it is the PSS. I don't think the guy knows what he has so maybe I'll just go in with some cash and see what can happen. It was very clean, hadn't been shot much. Not to mention that the pawn shop is in borderline ghetto. Doubt too many of the usual suspects around the area would even know what to do with a rifle like that.

If its an older PSS it'll have a 24" barrel BTW
wink.gif

Man... that could be ANYTHING! I'd look very closely at as many pictures of a PSS as possible. The 5R is Stainless so that's easy to tell. Make sure the barrel is marked "Remington". The PSS stock is fattened at the grip as well as the fore-arm. The bolt-body on a PSS is black also. Good luck. Hope it's what you expect. If you get it, be sure to post pics!

Oh... one other thing. I'd take down the serial number and check it with LE to be sure it's not stolen if it's in a questionable neighborhood. Sometimes Pawnshops make mistakes on serial numbers and sometimes they don't find out it's stolen until after it comes out for sale... At least here in FL. FWIW

It has the matte finish on the barrel like most tactical rifles. 10-4 on the check with LE. My next door neighboor growing up was a beat cop and he said the safest place to buy a gun was a pawn shop since they are checked so heavily at least here in VA. It did have the matte black bolt body as well. THanks for the tidbits of info. I'm going to go check some stores this weekend and if I don't find anything, might go see what I could get it for.