• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Re: Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Just got back to the inletting project as have been busy. Seems to fit well and feed but I need to either cut down screws or order shorter ones.

I would prefer to keep original screws as they work with original stock.

Anyone have the specs on the screws that will work after inletting. Also an online source would be appreciated.

I got my new screws at the local ACE hardware store. I used 1" hex cap screws (1/4-28) for the front and had to get a 1 1/2" screw for the back and cut it down to about 1 3/8". Worked like a charm.

Ok, I managed to take a few pics but they're not the greatest. For some reason my camera couldn't focus on the stock so they might be slightly blurry.

DSCI0589.jpg

DSCI0590.jpg

DSCI0587.jpg

Finally got my scope back from Vortex. It's done for now. Time to learn to shoot it.

Thanks! I really like it, but i'm having trouble with my mag for some reason. Every 3rd and 4th round wont feed. The bolt just stops and gets hung up on something, but I dont know what.

What mags are you using? I'm using the Accurate Mags from the group buy and haven't had the first hiccup with the 5 rd. Haven't tried the 10 rd yet.

When I was testing the setup during inletting I did notice the bullets would bind up when the unit wasn't seated deep enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like he'll have the 5's ready around the holidays. </div></div>

That's perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KC117</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! I really like it, but i'm having trouble with my mag for some reason. Every 3rd and 4th round wont feed. The bolt just stops and gets hung up on something, but I dont know what.
</div></div>

Hey Shay, I'm having the same problem. I'm also using 10 round alpha mags, to me it seems like the mag spring isn't strong enough. </div></div>

For me, the spring is strong enough, but the bolt is stopping about midway through chambering the round. Not sure what it's catching on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KC117</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! I really like it, but i'm having trouble with my mag for some reason. Every 3rd and 4th round wont feed. The bolt just stops and gets hung up on something, but I dont know what.
</div></div>

Hey Shay, I'm having the same problem. I'm also using 10 round alpha mags, to me it seems like the mag spring isn't strong enough. </div></div>

For me, the spring is strong enough, but the bolt is stopping about midway through chambering the round. Not sure what it's catching on </div></div>

Is the angle of the round while feeding, causing the tip of the bullet to jam in the chamber?

Shay, if you have a set of feeler gauges, see how much clearance you have between the top of the mag well and the bottom of the action. When I was testing mine, prior to inletting, I had problems if it wasn't within .010" or so of touching the action. The cartridges would feed at too steep of an angle and get bound up against the bolt recess in the barrel.

I just measured mine and I have .006 clearance at the front and .010 clearance at the back. I haven't had a single problem yet, but like I said before I haven't tried the 10 rd magazine yet either. With the 5 rd magazines I've shot maybe 4 or 5 mags through it so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cartridges would feed at too steep of an angle and get bound up against the bolt recess in the barrel.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the angle of the round while feeding, causing the tip of the bullet to jam in the chamber?</div></div>

What's the fix if the round is not feeding like this?

I have run about 300 rounds thru and no problems with my AI 5 rounder, but the 10 rounder will hang a little on the last 2 or 3 rounds. Just pull the bolt back a hair and it jumps in place and it is ready to go. It does this just ever so often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cartridges would feed at too steep of an angle and get bound up against the bolt recess in the barrel.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the angle of the round while feeding, causing the tip of the bullet to jam in the chamber?</div></div>

What's the fix if the round is not feeding like this? </div></div>

If this is happening, it is likely because the unit is not seated deep enough, IMO.

Here is a thread I started in the gunsmithing section discussing the inletting. It has some useful info.

That may be the case. I had to bend the feed lips on the mag so the rounds could seat high enough so the bolt could chamber a round without passing right over it. I havea good feeling the metal is not deep enough in the stock, which i have no way to fix since it's bedded into the stock.

Didn't you have GAP inlet yours? If so, try contacting them to see if they're willing to look at it.

You could do it by hand (with a Dremel and maybe a drill press), that's how I did mine. It's a little tricky, but not too bad if you have a little patience and don't get too aggressive with things.

UPDATE:

I have been contacted by Colin. This metal was designed to hold a detachable AI Mag and feed rounds into a a rem style bolt action rifle.

The stock is a variable that is beyond his control. It is beleive that this is causing what few issue that have been noted.

I have asked that some specs on fitting the action to the metal. I will take a guess and say the will be real close to those already posted by "Kewes".

This metal was designed to work, but as with many parts some fitting may be required.

In the interest of making this installation easier I have requested a template and the metal to receiver spacing.Magazine variances will come into play here.

I am the last on the list to receive mine. When I receive them I will get a local smith to install and post all the detail about the installation. Hopefully it will prevent any future failure to preform.

The purpose of this was try provide a viable option to shooters on a budget--THE ONLY REASON I BECAME INVOLVED--- not a Badger knockoff.....

It is obvious this is not, as a knockoff is to the same dimensional specs as the original. A knockoff is generally made out of substandard material.

I have told Colin I will try to help with problems with these.

EVERYONE WITH GOOD INSTALLS------- Would you please help by provideing as many details on the fit function of your unit, stock manf and model of rifle ( adl, sps ect.)

Lets make sure everyone who got on this venture can enjoy this it!!

Thank You

Charles

Hey kytrapper, let me know when you get yours, I want to make sure I don't get left behind. I haven't received mine either and since I pretty much got in for people who didn't pay, I know there's a chance I can be forgotten about since I didn't do the group buy in the normal procedure. Thanks.

got the inletting complete, first issue was some rounds getting caught under the feed ramp area (using accurate mags) removed about 1/16 inch from the receiver in the feed ramp area, that and working the bolt firmly is giving reliable feeding

tried the 223 rifle/magazine, it will be more difficult to get to feed properly, the in-letting will need to be about .08 in. deeper and the top of the DBM will have to have a round groove cut in to match the round receiver( allowing the parts to be closer) the same detail still allows good function with the .308 rifle/magazine

Nevermind kytrapper... I got mine today in the mail and it looks great. Nicel packaged (and I don't mean just for the shipping) and seems to work perfectly with my accurate mags. Thanks.

Mondo no problem.....

Jlaw973........... it should run about 10 days or so once they are mailed....These are being made in small batches to insure quality. I have been told that the last of our orders should go out next week.

Keep me posted.....

Thanks

Charles

Was just curious kytrapper. Pretty sure I got in before some and haven't received anything yet. Not complaining or worried, just checking. I sent Colin an email to make sure he received my payment and info.

Just received an email back from Colin, quick response, mine shipped with the last batch. Just haven't made it here yet, should be here any time.

How reliable is it feeding Soups1978..........

You under estimate your skills: I was informed by Colin that someone and their Gunsmith ( who reportedly has 26 years experience) could not make it work in 3 different stocks........

Waiting to get mine to see how hard this is. Some of you are making it look real easy!!!

Thanks for the post.

Charles

Both of mine showed up this morning. They look good the best I can tell in the packaging. Haven't taken them out yet and have nothing else to compare them to, but suspect them to be fine. Now I need to find someone to install one of them, or by a Dremel and try it myself.

I had a feeding problem when I made the metal flush with stock. I took it down a 1/8" deeper and also had to bend fees lips slightly(used a rag between pliers so I didn't mark any metal). Had to also take a little of my action bolts since they stuck out to much. Now it loads and ejects fine at my house, but haven't taken to the range plan on heading out Friday. I just took my time at the kitchen table(wife was out of town :)) plus I was watching the LSU vs. Bamma game(good thing it was boring). Don't underestimate yourself if you think you can do it go ahead and try. I'll report back after the range----below are all the tools used---Oh sorry about the set up. M700 5R .308 A5-adj stock action beaded
408d3262.jpg

UPDATE:

I was informed today that mine are on the way..

.They are part of the last to ship.

I hope by the time I have mine everyone else is GTG.

Thanks
Charles

I couldn't wait to get down to Wichita and use a mill, so I borrowed a friends dremel and went to work. As promised, here are the pics of my install. Didn't turn out as aesthetically pleasing as I would have liked, but I can always fix that later. So far it functions flawlessly!

DSCN1132.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

Had a couple of assistants for the pictures.
DSCN1129.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1123.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

Update: Just receive mine......

If anyone else is still waiting please let me know....

All Orders concerning the GB should be complete.

Would like to see some more installs and start hearing some range reports...

Thank You Charles