• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Re: Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Guys,
I think this is still a good deal even though the preffered gunsmith doen't think it is worth his time to inlet these.

I just deleted a full page rant.

There is no need in commenting on things like this. How about everyone involved talk to their local Smiths and recommend some quality options to those who do not have any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
I think this is still a good deal even though the preffered gunsmith doen't think it is worth his time to inlet these.

There is no need in commenting on things like this. How about everyone involved talk to their local Smiths and recommend some quality options to those who do not have any.</div></div>

Some day people will learn the Golden Rule.

Don't hate the player, Hate the Game!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

There is no need in commenting on things like this. How about everyone involved talk to their local Smiths and recommend some quality options to those who do not have any. </div></div>

Chad Dixon is willing to do inletting for these. Based on his posts in the gunsmithing section he does some quality work.

Got both of mine yesterday! Colin had sent a shipping email while I was on a hunting trip. RobG's pix above are exactly like mine, and I'm pleased w/ the construction/look of the units. Prolly put one on an existing stick (long) and save the short one for an upcoming build TBT. Thanks to Atlasworks and the Hide for the opportunity to try DBM on my hunting rifles without breaking the bank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isptroop38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found a local smith that will do it for the same price as GAP. Saves me shipping too.

Michael Ware at www.ControlledChaosArms.com if anyone is interested. He has a good rep. </div></div>

Sweet!
grin.gif

Hey long action/magnum guys, what mags are you going to run? I wanted to use Alpha mags for both my 7mm rem mag and 308 but they don't make LA mags. I will use them for my .308, however. Is AI the only option?

some one posted a link to Mcree in this or the group buy thread....I am thinking about them since they make both SA and LA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey long action/magnum guys, what mags are you going to run? I wanted to use Alpha mags for both my 7mm rem mag and 308 but they don't make LA mags. I will use them for my .308, however. Is AI the only option? </div></div>

I'm planning on running alpha mags. According to their site they do offer long action mags.

http://www.alphaindmfg.com./store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are for short mags. I would need a mag that would fit an ~3.5" length. </div></div>

Gotcha, sorry about that. The website said they would work for 7mm and that's what I will be running. Hopefully they work for me!

Animosity towards GA Precision is completely unfounded. We certainly think it is 'worth the time' to service our customer's needs; but as I mentioned to several of our customers--we are just slammed with work and do not have the hours to devote to this new project.

OK a couple of things.
Its real easy to take someone elses hard work, developed over time with lots of money spent to develop and make a copy. Heck you can sell cheaper because you did not have to develop a darn thing. The problem is if you dont support who developed the design new designs dont happen. This is no different than lets buy the cheap China made goods. It will end badly.

I run Badger DMs on my rifles. Marty has done a ton for our military and shooting sports. His produucts are his designs and made in USA.

I am glad to hear GAP is not doing these inlets at this time. I have lots of work in there waiting to be done. They are swamped because they do great work. Heck I dont shop smiths by price either. I go with what works great for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK a couple of things.
Its real easy to take someone elses hard work, developed over time with lots of money spent to develop and make a copy. Heck you can sell cheaper because you did not have to develop a darn thing. The problem is if you dont support who developed the design new designs dont happen. This is no different than lets buy the cheap China made goods. It will end badly.

I run Badger DMs on my rifles. Marty has done a ton for our military and shooting sports. His produucts are his designs and made in USA.

I am glad to hear GAP is not doing these inlets at this time. I have lots of work in there waiting to be done. They are swamped because they do great work. Heck I dont shop smiths by price either. I go with what works great for me.</div></div>

So, by your reasoning, we should only buy IBM computers or Motorola cell phones I guess.

You're wrong about Atlasworxs not having to develop anything. They had to develop more efficient techniques of manufacturing to produce a comparable product at a more than competitive price.

There is nothing wrong with supporting those who design innovative products, but supporting those who innovate manufacturing processes is just as crucial.

Just think where we'd be without Henry Ford. There were lots of people making automobiles before he cane along. He just made it practical for people other than the extremely wealthy to own one.

How about these couple of things.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Badger does it one way, CDI another, Hooper another as well as Wyatt and HS Precision.

Badger Ordnance is a fine company and make qaulity kit. But not everyone is willing to pay 400 bones for an item that costs a few dollars to make.

These DBM's are NOT copies of Badger, obviously there are differences since the inlet is so much diffefrent.

If you want to run the badger stuff, more power to you. It is good to go, as is the company and it is top shelf stuff.

It appears that the company making this prodict is a very alrge caompany that specializes in CNC machining and other forms of manufacturing.
This is not some Chinese company ripping off a design, it is their own design amd made in their facility.

To add to what fdkay stated, the majority of all the dbm's out there are very similar in design; same basic layout, same lever type release, using the same AI mag profile. Hell, many are proud to state they use a "Badger footprint" in the description of their product. The only one I have seen that makes a significant change is Seekins with the push button release. A dbm is a simple piece, how much more unique can one be made?

It is shameful the way some of the most respected vendors here on the hide have handled this situation. I do not own an Atlasworx dbm nor do I plan to but that has nothing to do with my opinion of their product. I simply prefer another manufacturers product. I have however changed my opinion of a few vendors that i once respected. They will no longer receive my business or my reccomendation. There is a group buy being offered on another dbm at the moment that states it uses the exact Badger inlet and in the same sentence declares it is not a knock off. How exactly does that work? These vendors need to step down off their high horses and compete. This is what free enterprise is about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is shameful the way some of the most respected vendors here on the hide have handled this situation. I do not own an Atlasworx dbm nor do I plan to but that has nothing to do with my opinion of their product. I simply prefer another manufacturers product. I have however changed my opinion of a few vendors that i once respected. They will no longer receive my business or my reccomendation. There is a group buy being offered on another dbm at the moment that states it uses the exact Badger inlet and in the same sentence declares it is not a knock off. How exactly does that work? These vendors need to step down off their high horses and compete. This is what free enterprise is about. </div></div>

SnkBit, sorry you feel that way. I simply pointed out it looks like a Badger knock off to me. I dont buy knock offs because I have seen my hard work knocked off several times before.

Now folks say compete, well let me tell you the last time someone knocked my slings off in Asia they paid less than half my labor cost for the complete sling. There is no way I can compete with that cost while using USA made materials and US Labor, housed in a US Facility. Neither can Badger.

Now I ask am I supposed to never give an opinion for fear guys wont use my products? If that is the case we might as well move to China because good men should be able to disagree and still be friends.

Funny I never see Knock Offs giving to prize tables or donations for our wounded vets but I certainly see tons of Badger Products there.

I just dont see what the big deal is....as stated before, what difference does it make? Its a piece of freakin metal that holds another piece of metal which bullets go into....

I dont get what all the hoopla and lines drawn in the sand is accomplishing.

I dont plan on arguing with anyone but may I ask, If Atlasworx is manufacturing knock offs, which it has been stated they are different than Badger, would it have been better received had they have came on the market at a much higer price? More compariable to the others?
I have a budget, family and all the other stuff that most folks have and I dont feel bad for buying the "Knock-off" Atlasworx DM. Had I have had more money at the time or waited until others lowered their prices of ran a special, would I have went with one of them? Prolly....But, still....what difference does it really make?...I got one now and lets put all the bickering aside and do what we all enjoy...shooting, talking about shooting and all that goes with it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wards, no line in sand from me. </div></div>

Right on, I'm not saying you or anyone specifically, just seems like there has been lots of back turning on one another...I aint mad at anyone....just saying.

I find it almost humorous for some to claim "Atlasworxs is a Badger knockoff" but in the same breath, somehow, CDi is NOT a Badger knockoff? How do you reconcile that?

All three use different inlets, and there is only so many ways to manufacture a DMB that use a common mag.

I guess you guys who claim anything other than Badger DBM is a knockoff only own Colt or Armalite AR15's, right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK a couple of things.

I run Badger DMs on my rifles. Marty has done a ton for our military and shooting sports. His produucts are his designs and made in USA. </div></div>

Badgers 2008 action bears a startling resemblance to the accuracy international item. i remember a representative from AI posting here that they were quite miffed at the time.
Just sayin.

W O W ----

So does anyone have any pic of there mauser inspired knockoff rifles with there AIC inspired DBM manf. by Atlasworx installed ???

How about a durability and use report?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just dont see what the big deal is....as stated before, what difference does it make? Its a piece of freakin metal that holds another piece of metal which bullets go into....

I dont get what all the hoopla and lines drawn in the sand is accomplishing.

I dont plan on arguing with anyone but may I ask, If Atlasworx is manufacturing knock offs, which it has been stated they are different than Badger, <span style="font-weight: bold">would it have been better received had they have came on the market at a much higer price? More compariable to the others?</span> I have a budget, family and all the other stuff that most folks have and I dont feel bad for buying the "Knock-off" Atlasworx DM. Had I have had more money at the time or waited until others lowered their prices of ran a special, would I have went with one of them? Prolly....But, still....what difference does it really make?...I got one now and lets put all the bickering aside and do what we all enjoy...shooting, talking about shooting and all that goes with it! </div></div>

Simply, yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is shameful the way some of the most respected vendors here on the hide have handled this situation. I do not own an Atlasworx dbm nor do I plan to but that has nothing to do with my opinion of their product. I simply prefer another manufacturers product. I have however changed my opinion of a few vendors that i once respected. They will no longer receive my business or my reccomendation. There is a group buy being offered on another dbm at the moment that states it uses the exact Badger inlet and in the same sentence declares it is not a knock off. How exactly does that work? These vendors need to step down off their high horses and compete. This is what free enterprise is about. </div></div>

SnkBit, sorry you feel that way. I simply pointed out it looks like a Badger knock off to me. I dont buy knock offs because I have seen my hard work knocked off several times before.

Now folks say compete, well let me tell you the last time someone knocked my slings off in Asia they paid less than half my labor cost for the complete sling. There is no way I can compete with that cost while using USA made materials and US Labor, housed in a US Facility. Neither can Badger.

Now I ask am I supposed to never give an opinion for fear guys wont use my products? If that is the case we might as well move to China because good men should be able to disagree and still be friends.

Funny I never see Knock Offs giving to prize tables or donations for our wounded vets but I certainly see tons of Badger Products there. </div></div>

Mike, would it be right for me to say your slings look like a knock off of the TAB slings that I have? I doubt you are the innovator of the rifle sling, and by default are knocking off someone elses idea.

You are entitled to give any opinion you want, no one is saying you shouldn't, but as suspected by a few, of other vendors, politics may come into play here.

The way some current vendors have acted in light of another competitor, YOU may very well have cost the site another paid sponsor.

Hell, the way some have acted, I have thought about trying to become a distributor for this product, and at the prices you seem to bitch about, I could afford to flood the prize table with them, if that's the biggest bitch you've got.

I have to agree the way some sponsors have acted and commented, you have drastically changed my opinion of some of you.

Teggy1 said[

Mike, would it be right for me to say your slings look like a knock off of the TAB slings that I have? I doubt you are the innovator of the rifle sling, and by default are knocking off someone elses idea.

You are entitled to give any opinion you want, no one is saying you shouldn't, but as suspected by a few, of other vendors, politics may come into play here.

The way some current vendors have acted in light of another competitor, YOU may very well have cost the site another paid sponsor.

Hell, the way some have acted, I have thought about trying to become a distributor for this product, and at the prices you seem to bitch about, I could afford to flood the prize table with them, if that's the biggest bitch you've got.

I have to agree the way some sponsors have acted and commented, you have drastically changed my opinion of some of you.

[/quote]

No it would not be fair to say I ever knocked off TAB Slings. My company and sling designs came out more than a decade before TAB existed and his slings work completely differntly than mine, hence he has not knocked me off either. TAB Slings are TAB Slings and TIS Slings are TIS Slings. You just showed your lack of experience/ amount of prior knowledge

I also did not knock off any other design out there. I designed new slings from ground up

I said my piece on why I use Badger. I see differences in the other non Badger made DMs out there. Thats why I have never said they appeared to be the same. As I said before this Ausie version looks just like a Badger to me, hence I said it looks like a Knock Off to me. Knock off meaning looks the same.

Look I understand guys buy foriegn stuff. No problem when it is an original idea like the AI/Sako TRGs or scopes. I have a problem when something off shore looks like copy of an American product.

I wont buy a China made copy of a Remington 870 but I own a TRG42.

The industry is small with lots of guys with shallow pockets attempting to bring products into market for snipers. They spend lots of money researching and developing the products then sell them at fair price. Considering they have to cover all there costs and keep doors open. Someone who just takes a product out there and runs through CNC Machine, makes one small size adjustment and then brings to market I dont support.

I go off the eye test which this product failed for me. That simple

If some of you wont do business with me because of this stand its just the way it will have to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recieved mine today. They seem nicely machined, release lever nice and tight, anodize looks good. I have no mags at the moment to check fit.
DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg
</div></div>

You all be the judge. Badger below. Also is it me or does the mag well walls of the top Atlas look thicker than the bottom?

P1010124.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">W O W ----

So does anyone have any pic of there mauser inspired knockoff rifles with there AIC inspired DBM manf. by Atlasworx installed ???

How about a durability and use report? </div></div>

Lol....would, but no one wants to do the inlet for the said knock-offs..lol
(Just making a funny)
I personally am waiting on a mag and a friend has said he would help with the inlet, I've got access to a mill at work so we're gonna do it there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of you in this thread are effin clueless....

</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recieved mine today. They seem nicely machined, release lever nice and tight, anodize looks good. I have no mags at the moment to check fit.
DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg
</div></div>

You all be the judge. Badger below. Also is it me or does the mag well walls of the top Atlas look thicker than the bottom?

P1010124.jpg
</div></div>
Lets do 1 more
back-1.jpg

Also, it appears to be a long action and short action shown side by side, the Long action side walls are almost 3X thicker.

Rumor has it Alpha might be working on some 300WM mags but for now AICS LA mags work fine. They make 5 and 10 round mags for the 300WM. Triad sells them.

Thanks Rob, I think I just got excited because of the price. 10 round AICS LA mags are quite a bit more. It would be awesome if Alpha had those in the works. Guess we will have to wait and see. Thanks again.

Y E S,

I am the first to admit I am clueless on so many levels!!!!!

Now that it is out in the open don't we all feel better?????

Magazine option for 300 WM check it out-

I am sure the bashing about knockoffs will continue after this link is posted in: 3, 2, 1

www.mcreesprecision.net

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Y E S,

I am the first to admit I am clueless on so many levels!!!!!

Now that it is out in the open don't we all feel better?????

Magazine option for 300 WM check it out-

I am sure the bashing about knockoffs will continue after this link is posted in: 3, 2, 1

www.mcreesprecision.net

</div></div>
THanks! I'll check them out. They are just one state over from me.