• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Re: Remington 700 bottom metal alternative

Guys, sorry for starting all the crap with getting involved in this and having a big issue with it. I never meant for it to get out of hand like it did. I just figured, hey, it's a good deal, I'll let ya'll know some more info on it. I figured in todays economy, for me at least, it's nice to save some money so you can spend more on ammo and such.

Well, that's all I have to say. once again, My apologies for the mess that this has created.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, sorry for starting all the crap with getting involved in this and having a big issue with it. I never meant for it to get out of hand like it did. I just figured, hey, it's a good deal, I'll let ya'll know some more info on it. I figured in todays economy, for me at least, it's nice to save some money so you can spend more on ammo and such.

Well, that's all I have to say. once again, My apologies for the mess that this has created. </div></div>

Mess? Are you talking about the whole "Buy American" topic in the Bear Pit? No apology necessary! I didn't get in on the GB but I bought one before hand so you saved me ~$150 on a DBM...I'd say I owe you a beer or two.

I couldn't ever afford a DBM but now that I have one, some American companies are going to get my American dollars due to the sale of some of their foreign made magazines! I think that's a win all around right? My $0.02 anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, sorry for starting all the crap with getting involved in this and having a big issue with it. I never meant for it to get out of hand like it did. I just figured, hey, it's a good deal, I'll let ya'll know some more info on it. I figured in todays economy, for me at least, it's nice to save some money so you can spend more on ammo and such.

Well, that's all I have to say. once again, My apologies for the mess that this has created. </div></div>

Shay, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm new to this forum but not forums in general. People are always going to find some sort of issue with something. I am American and will buy American if and only if the quality and price are right. I am a student and have very limited resources. So if someone alerts me to a deal that allows me to purchase something that I wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford, then that's fantastic. Someone will inevitably point out the fact that the other DBM is about the same price, but that is only because this became available. If I were you, I wouldn't lose sleep over anything that happens on the internet. Life is way too short for that. My $0.02. Now you have $0.04!

Shay, I know how you are feeling.. this started a shit storm that I did not expect... I sent a message to Lowlight and others explaining my original intentions. I wont be the good idea fairy again.
At worst we have upset a few bigger makers when I linked and you reviewed the product.
Look at the positives.. Probably helped a few out getting into a piece of good kit at a good price.
Also for those that didnt want the atlas Other forum vendors are offering there products a little cheaper for awhile..

Also spurred another group buy on mags.. 3 wins in my opinion..

It was not my intention to undercut anyone here. I just thought a few shooters on a budget would benefit from it (after all we are here to share good and bad right?)

I am sure you have had pm's like mine with unhappiness inside..
I honestly hope everyone gets what they want out of this and enjoys there purchase whether it is an atlas, cdi, hooper, or just a mag from the group buy.

Good Luck to all Thanks MLH29

I figured, hey, I'm a teenager, I can't afford the top of the line gear, so I might as well try this out. I'd like to have DBM on my rifle, so I took the deal and ran with it. Good luck to ya'll who got a good deal on some bottom metal too, I hope we aren't disappointed with the purchase.

Shay, no apologies necessary to anyone other than Lowlight for not clearing the GB with him. Others that became "uneasy" with the price and/or origin of manufacture need to see this GB for what it is; a lower priced alternative in DBM's. Nothing more.

Don't worry about it. Competition in the market place is always a good thing for the consumers. Don't apologize for helping others.

O,K...

1.I will be happy to post my message to Lowlioght clearing my request to start the group buy with ATLASWORXS...

at the time I requested the GB price was still being negotiated so it was not included.

2. Per instructions it was limited- 2 weeks and I controlled it.

3. I do not see that apologizes are required we all bigboys (some bigger and older than others)

If any APOLOGIZES are required please contact ME and I will, with an open mind, hear your belief on how I transgressed against you

and

How I am responsible for the economic problems in this country by trying to help those with limited resources (many of who are supporting a family while pulling guard duty in some sandy location)

by putting together a deal to get them a price break on an item that was already being discussed favorably on the HIDE.

Please direct your negative and unpleasantries to me.............

THANK YOU

Charles

Mlh 29 Thank you for starting the thread!!!!!!!!!

and

Shay thanks for all the intial postings!!!!!!

You guys got me motivated to get involved...I wanted to try to do something good.............

And Guess What ..............

Thanks to the work by the Two of You----- WE DID!!!!!!

Now could we see some T&E as well as range reports?????

Thanks Charles.
smile.gif

I am in the GB and sent my payment 20 minutes ago.
Just bought one because I have to have enough to be able to buy a magazine or two. I can't wait to get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shay, <span style="font-weight: bold">no apologies necessary to anyone other than Lowlight for not clearing the GB with him</span>. Others that became "uneasy" with the price and/or origin of manufacture need to see this GB for what it is; a lower priced alternative in DBM's. Nothing more. </div></div>

Oops, forgot kytrapper set it up. I only brought it up because LL was not happy about the GB happening without Atlasworxs being a paid vendor on the site.

On a positive note, Colin e-mailed stating my two are on the way
cool.gif

Hey Very big thanks on the Atalas works group bye! I spred the word and have had several people jump on it. Very nice quality product. Thanks again. For the info.

the fact that anyone feels they have to apologize for the deal of the year is totally whacked out. if our aussie brothers want to make an affordable product, ill be damned if im not going to help them out. if they do so by cheating someone or being an all around dick then fine, ill keep my money, but they gotta make a living in this world too and if theyre willing to cut me a deal im willing to do business with them. colin has been a completely upstanding guy to everyone involved. if other makers can't justify that low of a price for theirs then either too damn bad or they need to start using their machinery for more things to make their money back faster. thats basically what colin does, they dip into a little bit of everything. its called good business practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cofox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'd say I owe you a beer or two.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured, hey, I'm a teenager,....</div></div>

Oops! Disregard my above! You'll have to wait a few years so I don't get in trouble!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cofox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'd say I owe you a beer or two.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured, hey, I'm a teenager,....</div></div>

Oops! Disregard my above! You'll have to wait a few years so I don't get in trouble!
wink.gif
</div></div>

I've never been one to drink anywho. I've never tried it, don't really want to; doesn't appeal to me at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, any pics of your stock Shay? I'm going through withdrawals being away from mine... </div></div>
Not yet, George told me that it has shipped today though, so hopefully I'll have pics by next week.

Any spots left over from those that didn't pay in the GB? I'd be down for one or two.

And wow, the greed here is amazing. I had a long reply typed out implementing two vendors but I'll refrain to keep from getting banned over some dumb crap. Talk about snakes in the grass though!

I will however says this to one vendor... How could you call something a cheap knockoff when you started out the same way? You made a similar product other companies offered but selling it for over $100 less cutting out a portion of their sales. Don't give me that "well its US made crap" either, everybody here knows that some of the best kit is made overseas, AI, Sako, S&B, or NF ring a bell?

redneckbmxer24, just shoot an email to Colin at Atlasworxs... He will be able to tell you if any are still available...........

Thanks

Charles

So, Seeing as I did not get in on the GB, how about some help. I don't care what the cost of the bottom metal is at this point. I just want to buy the one that will be the easiest/best for me to install myself if possible. I would also like it to take common type mags (AICS, etc.). How about some recommendations? Thanks guys.

Broken Sailor,

My Advice grab a couple of cold ones and read all 8 pages here;

There is some good info and some real options....

If you want to join the outcast downtrodden and despised send an email to Atlasworxs... however there is a group buy going on some home grown stuff that is killer!!!

CDI and Rad both have GB listing...both top notch!!!!

All Mteal is going to have to be inletted check the bolt rifle thread and you will find more info on it...

Good Luck!!!

GROUP BUY UPDATE:

Just got an email from Colin asking me to post that deliveries have begun...... It will be the next couple of weeks before all are finished and shipped.....

The guys first in on the GB--- let us know when you start receiving them.....

He also wanted to thank everyone for being patient

Thanks

Charles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds good Shay how about some pics? </div></div>
Still waiting on my stock from GAP... soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those in the GB- do we know a rough ship date? </div></div>

I recieved an e-mail that mine are on the way last week. It seems as though they will trickle in inline with your order date/payment.

My understanding is that You will get an email when it ships.

You can check and see that payment was received on your account.

If it did you will be in line as RobG stated.

Colin asked that we be patient.... he has started shipping and hopes to have all shipped in the next couple of weeks......

I am last in line and will post when I receive my email....

If anyone has been missed I will help them work it out with Atlasworx at that time!!!!!!!!

Those with them keep us posted on your progress!!!!!!

Thanks

Charles

Shay, do you mind telling me whom at GAP you dealt with?

I emailed them to verify they would do it, and they gave me this reply:

"We do not offer inlet service for the atlasworx DBM. It is a different inlet than the Badger M5 and we are unable to devote man hours to writing a new program or doing it by hand.

please let me know if you have any questions!

Ken Lin
G.A. Precision"

I'm trying to find a reputable smith that will do the inlet for a decent price. I had really wanted to use GA Precision as the price was right too.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kytrapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is that You will get an email when it ships.

You can check and see that payment was received on your account.

If it did you will be in line as RobG stated.

Colin asked that we be patient.... he has started shipping and hopes to have all shipped in the next couple of weeks......

I am last in line and will post when I receive my email....

If anyone has been missed I will help them work it out with Atlasworx at that time!!!!!!!!

Those with them keep us posted on your progress!!!!!!

Thanks

Charles </div></div>

No worries at all- just saw the reference to emails going out and since didn't get a confirmation just wanted to verify a confirmation wasn't the norm!! I'm patiently waiting here!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isptroop38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shay, do you mind telling me whom at GAP you dealt with?

"We do not offer inlet service for the atlasworx DBM. It is a different inlet than the Badger M5 and we are unable to devote man hours to writing a new program or doing it by hand.

Ken Lin
G.A. Precision"

I'm trying to find a reputable smith that will do the inlet for a decent price. I had really wanted to use GA Precision as the price was right too..... </div></div>

Interesting. Maybe if enough purchasers of the AW contacts them they'd be willing to spend some time writing a new program??? I have no idea what it takes to do so, just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isptroop38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shay, do you mind telling me whom at GAP you dealt with?

Ken Lin
G.A. Precision"

I'm trying to find a reputable smith that will do the inlet for a decent price. I had really wanted to use GA Precision as the price was right too..... </div></div>

Interesting. Maybe if enough purchasers of the AW contacts them they'd be willing to spend some time writing a new program??? I have no idea what it takes to do so, just a thought. </div></div>

I'll send them an email. Was planning on having them do mine too. May have to rethink it now,,,
frown.gif

Well, I emailed back and told them I was confused as they had already done one. This is the reply GAP gave me:

"Yes we did one, that is why we know it is a different inlet and do not plan on taking additional at this time.

Ken Lin
G.A. Precision"

Dam$ It!!! Guess I'll send someone else my money!!!

It would be great if someone with the means could take our stocks to inlet. That would be a great followup to this GB, someone coming through with an affordable inletting service. I just don't think I know anyone local that can do this for me.

I'm disappointed to hear about GAP not doing the inletting. I'm sure it does require a new program, but they are probably not willing to do it to provide solidarity with the domestic makers. This gets more interesting every day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gap Is right next to Badger...

In fact I think they share buildings......

</div></div>

This would explain everything. Can't blame them for supporting their friends, but it is unfortunate for the buyers of the Atlasworxs. I guess I was luckier than I knew, having a local guy around to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coyote223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the same response, not taking them. If anyone finds someone willing to do the inletting work, post it up. They will get my business,,, </div></div>

Try posting in the WTB and/or gunsmithing section for willing participants. I won't be ready to have mine done for a while or I would solicit myself. Worth a shot.

I'm guessing that since GAP is a larger company, that they're pretty automated in the process for inletting the most common type DBM. Yes, the Atlasworkx one is slightly different.

I took mine to a local gunsmith in Erie, CO (Dave Sullivan of West Wind Rifles, close friend and fellow smith with Mark Chanlynn and AJ Goddard of Big Horn Custom Actions, a 'Hide sponsor) and he does it by hand and had no problem accepting it. I won't have it back until December because he's installing a new barrel and truing my action as well.

I would suggest finding other or local smiths if you can. I don't think it's that hard of a job for a competent smith, since some folk even do it themselves. YMMV.