Remington 700 model questions

kaptain86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Normal, IL
Hi,

I have been looking to get a Remington 700 chambered in .308.

The majority of shooting will be done at steel at distance (can go up to 1000 yards where I shoot). Most shots will be prone, I might do some hunting with it, but in IL I don't know of much around me that I can hunt with it.

I was looking at synthetic stocks for ease of cleaning and maintaining.

Am I correct in that extended barrel length can help increase muzzle velocity? I was looking for a barrel length longer than 20".

I was looking between these models and wanted to know any input on them.

Remington 700 SPS - 27359
Remington 700 SPS Varmint - 84218
Remington 700 VTR - 84371

15mfs6p.jpg

I do own quite a few OD framed firearms so I'm not turned off by the OD frame on the VTR.

Re: Remington 700 model questions

Are you looking to keep the stock 100% stock, or are you goin to make mods?? I suggest picking up the SPS and look through the threads on here for mods that can be done. Some are cheap and some are expensive, but all will help you with your target of punching steel at 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you looking to keep the stock 100% stock, or are you goin to make mods?? I suggest picking up the SPS and look through the threads on here for mods that can be done. Some are cheap and some are expensive, but all will help you with your target of punching steel at 1k. </div></div>

I looked into upgrading the stock to the B&C A5 stock - that I would like to keep it a possibility - http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-108/mcmillan-a5-stock-tactical/Detail

I am mainly concerned with being able to get a clean scope picture, I have been looking into the SWFA SS series (I have an AR-15 that I wouldn't mind using a scope on so I looked at the 3-9x42 quite a bit) Would a 3-9x42 be in adequate for targets out to 1000 yards? Maybe more of the 5-20 series would be a better scope for it?

I'd recommend a Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20x50mm. I like it more than my 5.5-22x56 Nightforce. It is also almost a pound lighter.

Have you considered the Remington 700 5R model? They're not listed on the website and is a low production higher end model. Quite a heavy stainless steel barrel and less apparent fouling due to the unique rifling would make it a great target rifle. Not so much a hunting stick tho.

A number of Hide members love their 5R including myself.
smile.gif

I should note that I am not planning on spending more than $1500 for the entire setup, hopefully I can keep it somewhere around there or under.

Rifle wise I'm looking to spend around 500-700 pending on what it is. Scope I'm looking to spend about the same amount (600-700ish) and then add a Harris Bipod (60-90ish)

Ive got the stainless version of the SPS, the SPSS, fitted it with H-S PSV096 in desert camo, TPS 20moa bases and TPS rings, Burris 6-24 Signature scope and a Jewell trigger set at around 9oz. I absolutely love the new stock, feels great, and its so solid. Its heavy but its pretty accurate, too.
2011-10-04-61140.jpg

Out of those three the SPS Varmint is the clear winner for your use.

The 24 inch barrel SPS has a sporter (medium light) contour barrel. Nice for hunting (I have a few) but you sound like your main use for it will be target shooting. Better to go with the 26 inch Varmint (medium heavy) contour barrel on the SPS Varmint.

As for the VTR, there is no reason to spend money on a triangular barrel unless you are into triangular stuff.

The stocks are plastic crap on all of those rifles (I actually dig Rem factory stock designs but not the construction). That is fine though. IMHO when buying factory go with the one with the cheapest stock since you are going to replace it with an aftermarket stock anyway.

SPS-V, got one, it can shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA when I can. The stocks are crummy, but you can shoot it until you can upgrade it.

Thanks for the information, I will continue to search, but you are correct in that it will mainly be a target gun. Can I buy the action and the barrel without the stock and save some money by doing so, or does it have to be purchased with the stock?

Buy one of the 700 Varmint rifles as a compromise, alternative to buying just the action. Upgrade the barrel, or go big and get the 5R or P for out of the box performance.

I will probably get a SPS Varmint and upgrade the stock from there. Time to look into accessory costs. Cheapest I can find a new SPS Varmint is in the $550-$575.00 shipped price range, I'll keep my eyes open for 'gently' used 700 SPS Varmints while I search for the accessories.

Dicks is running a pretty good deal on the ADL varmint right now which is the same thing as a SPS-V but with a blind box mag. It's $500 with a $50 mail in rebate plus $30 in scorecard points. If you have to upgrade the stock anyway it may save you some extra cash. You will need a BDL bottom metal and mag box in addition to the stock but those can be found used for about $50.

Understand that when you buy most model 700 SPS rifles the stock is pretty much free after you factor in the cost of the barreled action. I am starting a nice collection of injection molded model 700 stocks. I think I might give them to my kids to use as toy "shooters" (my daughter's term for a gun).

Dicks sells 2 model 700 ADL rifles that, when they go on sale (which they do several times a year) are a good deal. Both come with cheap chicom "Remington" marked scoped and Leupold Rifleman 2 piece bases. One is their ADL Varmint (available in 223, 22-250, 243 and 308), which is an ADL version of the SPS Varmint. The other is an ADL SS which is an ADL version of the SPS Stainless. I have only seen these in 270, 30-06 in long action, and 243 and 308 in short action. There may be others.

I went to my local store yesterday and they only had the scopped version and I was not looking to spend what they were asking. I'm going to keep saving my pennies and keep watching the FS forums.

I'm trying to find a SPS Varmint in .308.

As said earlier check out Dicks if you have 1 in your area or near by. I was just over their the other day and they are having the sale on the varmints, which is about 500 out the door with tax.

I don't understand why people are so afraid of Wood Stocks. The wood that came with my BDL 223 was impregnated to seal the wood. I got it in 1978.

Since then its bounced around the back of my patrol car (until I retired in '94). I've use it rain and shine, dry and humid, cold or hot (sub-zero and 100* plus). Even jump out of airplanes with it. Now its retired to shooting PDs but it never lost it's zero.

P1010001_1.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaptain86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to my local store yesterday and they only had the scopped version and I was not looking to spend what they were asking. I'm going to keep saving my pennies and keep watching the FS forums.

I'm trying to find a SPS Varmint in .308.</div></div>

The Dicks 700 ADL Varmint comes with a scope, but like the cheap stocks on ADL and SPS rifles it really isn't reflected in the price. Just give it away if you don't want it. When the gun is on sale (there are different tiers of sale prices at Dicks), with the rebate Dicks has been giving on it, it is a good deal for the barreled action.

The barreled action on the 700 SPS Varmint and the Dicks 700 ADL Varmint are identical. The only difference is the magazine and bottom metal.

I appreciate your help with me trying to find a rifle. As of right now I'm saving for one, so that is why I am keeping my eyes open for the best deal. I'm not a big fan of buying things that I don't need so buying an ADL model with a scope leads me to think I'm being wasteful in that regard.

I will be pricing out the options I'm looking to add and make sure I save accordingly before I decide to purchase anything.

I think to pass the time I will make some steel targets to shoot at...
smile.gif