Remington 700 SPS Stock

jslaser

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2017
I am new to long distance shooting and new to building a gun. I have a Remington SPS in .308 and I'm looking for a stock. There are so many options out there and its hard to pick my first 1. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Are a there any other people you know that shoot at your range? Stocks are somewhat personal and what I like you may not and visa the verse. Like you said, there are very many choices. If you like standard style stocks, anything from McMillan, Manners, Greyboe and even GRS is a good choice, unless you want to go the extra $ (and time) to buy a KMW or J Allen.

Tons of choices in the chassis arena, including AICS, Cadex, ELX, KRG, MPA, AO and more.

The best way to make a choice is truly to try some out.

What lash said, try some out if you can.
An adjustable cheek rest and adjustable length of pull are nice features to look for.
McMillan usually has some stocks on sale on their website.
DW

I was originally looking at McMillan but the stock I was looking at is out and I cant find a way see when they will be making another run. As a second choice I'm gravitating towards AICS. They are very different style stocks but after trying a friends McMillan and down selecting to the one that I would prefer and it being out of stock its hard to say if i have a strong enough preference to stick with it or change to the AICS. Does anyone have positive or negative feelings of McMillan vs AICS?

Wow, this is kinda like saying "I've been thinking of buying a car, what do you recommend"? So many choices even within the parameters of either chassis or a more traditional style of stock. I personally think an A5 (McMillian) style is a great stock, very ergonomic especially if it's an adjustable model (cheekpiece, LOP adjustment). There's a good reason its so popular! The Grayboe stocks are great value and incorporate some new technology (made by McMillian's son, nothing like givin' the 'ol man a little competition) are very stiff and incorporate the A5 style and look, I don't think they offer an adjustable version of it yet though. Manners makes some great stocks as well. Long waits though for special orders for either (McMillian right now is 6 months). Depending on the inletting and/or DBM you could luck out with an in stock model and let you smith "fine tune" the inletting. Chances are good though that something set up for a remington short action would be readily available. I'd recommend you take Lash's advice and "try some out" first. I don't know any shooters that would take offence at letting a guy try out a stock for fit, ergonomics, etc. You just gotta ask around at a public range or maybe attend a PRS match as a spectator. Many gunsmiths have several models of stocks in inventory as well, my smith usually has a dozen or so laying around as well as 20 0r 30 completed personal rifles.

Last edited:
I've put my name on McMillan's waiting list and never had to wait more than four or five weeks. I may have just gotten lucky.

I was originally looking at McMillan but the stock I was looking at is out and I cant find a way see when they will be making another run. As a second choice I'm gravitating towards AICS. They are very different style stocks but after trying a friends McMillan and down selecting to the one that I would prefer and it being out of stock its hard to say if i have a strong enough preference to stick with it or change to the AICS. Does anyone have positive or negative feelings of McMillan vs AICS?

You didn't mention budget. With this in mind, I highly recommend getting behind an AICS stock before making a decision as they are not for everybody. They seem to have a love/hate relationship with many shooters, myself included. This is nothing against the quality of the stock, just the ergonomics and how it feels to a shooter. If you decide to look for a chassis, which is basically a frame for a barreled action to be dropped in and a magazine system in place, there are affordable offerings by XLR, the Element, and KRG, the X-Ray, which many shooters on this forum like.

You'll find the consensus among experienced shooters is that you try to get down behind as many stock and chassis before making a purchase.

The A3-5 is a nice stock, a little narrower & shallower in the forearm than an A5 and around 1/2 to 3/4 pounds lighter. Otherwise, the ergonomics are identical to an A5. It won't cost you $1500 however, even a fully custom adjustable would be around $800, less without the adjustable options. I think the reason the A5 "family" is so popular is because it seems to fit a large range of people well. You could do a lot worse choosing a stock. I'd still recommend you give the A5 type a try first. Some people like the butthook, some prefer it without. Little differences like that make a difference. I've tried out every high end stock I have (and some that I dont) in advance & I'm glad I did because some of them I changed my mind on after trying them on for "fit".

The last two custom McMillan stocks I ordered took about 3-4 months. No experience with AICS, but very happy with the three McMillans I have.

My first purchased for my Remington build was the McMillan A2, and ended up trying a lot of other brand stocks, and eventually made the full circle back to the McMillan. Take your time selecting a stock, try to sample them at the range when you see them, most shooter will let you get behind the rifle to see how the stock feels. I spent a lot of money buying stocks, now I have a cabinet full of stocks that I will never recoup what I spent on them, take you time and make your selection.