• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Remove powder from Chargemaster after every use?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I have read that most people remove their powder from their dispenser at the end of their range session.

My question is- is this necessary? I have standardized to just using Varget, so there is no chance of mixing up powder. Also- a Chargemaster holds about 1 pound of powder. This represents about 1-2 weeks of shooting for me, so I don't think that there will be a humidity issue.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, hence this question.

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: Remove powder from Chargemaster after every use?

The usual problem with leaving powder in a measure for long terms is the powder chemicals will darken the clear plastic hopper.

I leave it in there but it's probably best to remove it and store it in the proper container. As anal as I am about my loading, it's kinda embarrassing to admit I leave my powder in the CM.

IIRC powder is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture. Not sure how long and how humid it needs to cause a difference, but I would rather minimize variables.

If it was just overnight I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't leave it for days or weeks.

I take it out. Who knows what might happen in life that makes you instantly forget about handloading... months later when things are back to normal, you will question if the varget in the hopper is still any good.

If anything, its good practice.

Store it safely and preferably in a fireproof safe. Over the top ? Perhaps but if you have a fire you will be glad you did, you won't feel like a plonker for leaving it out and and explaining that to the fireman as you are running out and expecting him to run in.

OK- here's another question then: is it sufficient to dump the powder back into the container via the drain, or get anal about getting every last bit out? It's easy enough to use the powder drain, but it is a bitch to get the last bit out of it.

Keeping in mind that I am going to be refilling it with the same powder, not switching powders.

One other thing- I load cases every 2-3 days. It doesn't sit much, which is why it made sense for me to keep it loaded.

Of course, it is preferred to keep your powder in the original containers, but seriously, does anyone have any data supporting powder degradation when left in the hopper of a reloading machine? I thought not.

I take mine out after loading, but I don't sweat getting every last kernel out. I only use two different powders in my Chargemaster and I highly doubt a tiny bit of crossover will hurt anything. Empty until nothing obvious is left and I call it good enough.

I've seen pictures of powder hoppers where the powder has etched into the plastic leaving the outlines of kernels and even some kernels stuck into the plastic. So yes I'd say the if the powder is reacting with the plastic it's degrading.

Lots of powder companies recommend storing powder it the original container,few recommend storing it in the hopper.The chemicals can react with the plastic in the hopper,and sunlight and humid air are not good for the powder..My CM came with a small artist paint brush that makes cleaning out the hopper pretty easy.The safe route may not be the easiest,but it is the best.Its just too easy to dump it back into the original container. Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Theodore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of powder companies recommend storing powder it the original container,few recommend storing it in the hopper.The chemicals can react with the plastic in the hopper,and sunlight and humid air are not good for the powder..</div></div>

Can you post up a manufacturer's recommendation (specifically regarding the plastic interaction, sunlight, humidity, etc.?). I leave my powder in my hopper all the time with no ill effects. I'd like to see some documentation from a manufacturer regarding this. Do you have any?

I empty the powder out every time unless I'm going to load again within a day or two.

One trick I did is put a mark on the powder tube to show where the tube is open and pointed straight down. That way, when I'm done, I hit trickle to rotate ti to where the mark is up to show the opening inside the hopper is down. I then hold the original powder can to the chute and drain all the powder. Lift up the front of the CM and a couple of light tsps on the tube will get any powder out of the tube. Then a quick brush inside to get any remaining kernels out and it's clean. The whole process takes under a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK- here's another question then: is it sufficient to dump the powder back into the container via the drain, or get anal about getting every last bit out? </div></div>

I get it all out and use the brush to knock any last kernels out.

I am just anal that way. Unless I am going to be loading the next morning, I like to have all my stuff put away. My loading bench doubles as my gun workbench/cleaning bench.

I clean my CM out completely every time. But, with my powder drop that I use for loading my 45's I leave powder in it almost all the time. It is used regularly and topped off but I dont clean it out. Never had a problem with that that I have seen.

A quick search of the more common powder companies reveals that they ALL caution against exposure to sunlight and moisture.I did fail to find any data showing performance difference after said exposure.
Its just to easy to store powder properly to take chances on questionable practices.When ask,I will always recommend the safe or approved way.Your method works for you,do as you wish. Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK- here's another question then: is it sufficient to dump the powder back into the container via the drain, or get anal about getting every last bit out? </div></div>

I get it all out and use the brush to knock any last kernels out.

I am just anal that way. Unless I am going to be loading the next morning, I like to have all my stuff put away. My loading bench doubles as my gun workbench/cleaning bench. </div></div>

Me too, every last kernel is removed. Probably overkill but I don't have anything better to do. The CM is one awesome piece of kit, love mine.

I clean out my Chargemaster after every reloading session. If you're using the McDonald's straw in the tube do the following:

1. Stop your current program and set next chg weight to 99gr.
2. put your powder container by the empty spout
3. hit enter/dispense on your CM and start the 99grain dispense cycle.
4. Open the empty port on the CM and watch the powder dump until it stops. Knock the one or two kernels off the lip into your canister.
5. Close spout.
6. Use the brush to knock any errant kernels down into the lower part of the hopper.
7. The 99gr charge should be ready in the pan. Dump it into your canister.
8. Replace pan.
9. Throw another 99 gr charge. Note: you shouldn't hear anymore powder hitting the bottom of the hopper from the tube.
10. Move canister to empty port. Open port and empty remaining hopper powder into canister.
11. You should not reach 99gr charge in the pan. But it will still be running.
12. Bend over look into the tube for any kernels. If none. Hit cancel/stop. Empty powder in the pan into canister. DONE.
13. If there are a few kernels travelling down the tube wait until they hit the pan, then go back to step12.

I remove the powder everytime. Powder is suppose to be stored in the container. Powder can obsorb mositure. I keep the powder stored in a controled enviroment. But I'am a little anal when it comes to reloading sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, never knew this was an issue. Mine stays in all the time, never any problems. Hopper looks new after almost two years. </div></div>

Same here.

I guess there are a lot of reasons to not keep the powder in the dispenser. Other than the couple of seconds it takes to dump it and put it back in, is there any reason not to take it out?

Rosie,I wanted to make a referance to your expierence but could not remember the date.Thanks for posting.Have always heard,read,and been told to remove the powder because of chemical reaction.Thanks again.Pete

I remove all the powder now, of course.

It literally takes 20 seconds. Just open the spout and drain, at the same time I push 9, 9, DISP and the Chargemaster dispenses whatever's left in the dispenser. Brush a little inside the hopper and it's all clear.

I take mine out all the time since I load with 2 different powders. While I do leave the powder container on the bench when I reloading that particular powder, you just never know if I decide to use a different powder and put that one on the bench too and get it confused.

About my biggest problem is forgetting to close that stupid drain door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About my biggest problem is forgetting to close that stupid drain door.</div></div>

+ 1 million

I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Nothing like hearing that sound of the powder rushing into the hopper. And then another rushing sound has it hits the deck!! I've done that more than I care to mention. I'm meticulous about closing that SOB now though.

That open drain has gotten me twice. hhaaha how mad I get especially when the powder goes onto carpet.

But I've been keeping powder in there now since I only use one type.

After reading this just to stay on the cautious side i'm going to start emptying it out. Sometimes it sits for weeks.

Has anyone ever put any of those silicone moisture absorber packets they put in shoes and such, say taped onto the inside cap of the powder container?

I think that would help a lot with any moisture that might find its way into the canister. Unless of course it reacts somehow..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That open drain has gotten me twice. hhaaha how mad I get especially when the powder goes onto carpet. </div></div>

Got me 3 times before I finally remembered to check it everytime. I normally leave the powder in the machine, but if yall in those northern states are worried I better start removing everytime.

I looked at how much I used yesterday, and I think I am going to keep it half full. I use half a Chargemaster reservoir every 3 days or so, so what's left at the bottom will get used in another 3 days. I don't think I'm at danger leaving it in there for 3 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at how much I used yesterday, and I think I am going to keep it half full. I use half a Chargemaster reservoir every 3 days or so, so what's left at the bottom will get used in another 3 days. I don't think I'm at danger leaving it in there for 3 days.
</div></div>

I've left it in the hopper for weeks and weeks before I've reloaded another batch. No ill effects with Varget. I don't plan to dump it everytime I reload. That's ridiculous.

I have N320 that sits in the hopper of my 550 for months at a time without any problems. I'm not worried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Theodore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its been said that leaving the drain open is like a rite of passage.I would like to say that I've never done that! Lightman </div></div>

hahah Just you wait till you hear the spattering sound and see that there's nothing coming out of the drop tube in the front.. it'll take you a couple seconds the first time...

Then you'll see the hourglass flow of powder pouring out hahaha.

I always leave my powder in the dispenser, sometimes for months. Never had an issue after 7 years of doing this. FWIW, I have a Lyman DPS, I don't use the tube (just the powder reservoir that I keep topped off), I keep the lid on the top of the reservoir and live in a dry climate.

All of my powder is stored away from the dispenser except for the bottle that is being used in it, that way there are no mix ups. Don't know about the Chargemaster, but the Lyman is a pain to empty after each session.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I clean out my Chargemaster after every reloading session. If you're using the McDonald's straw in the tube do the following:

1. Stop your current program and set next chg weight to 99gr.
2. put your powder container by the empty spout
3. Open the empty port on the CM and watch the powder dump until it stops.
4. hit enter/dispense on your CM and start the 99grain dispense cycle.
5. Use the brush to knock any errant kernels down into the lower part of the hopper. Knock the one or two kernels off the lip into your canister.
6. Close spout.
7. You should not reach 99gr charge in the pan. But it will still be running.
8. Bend over look into the tube for any kernels. If none. Hit cancel/stop. Empty powder in the pan into canister.
9. Replace the pan. Done
</div></div>

I edited your process to cut out the unnecessary steps and to show how I do it each time I use mine, this removes every kernel in less than a min's time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Theodore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its been said that leaving the drain open is like a rite of passage.I would like to say that I've never done that! Lightman </div></div>I've done it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC powder is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture. Not sure how long and how humid it needs to cause a difference, but I would rather minimize variables.

If it was just overnight I wouldn't worry, but I wouldn't leave it for days or weeks. </div></div>

Totally agree, moisture isnt a good thing. Keep your powder dry.

Yes, another one that removes the powder out of my Chargemaster after each loading session. In fact, I try to minimize open air contact with my powders as they are known to absorb moisture and will adjust the burn rate.

Given that most of my hand loading is for competition, I try to keep all of my powder loads as consistent as possible.