• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Removing muzzle brake from DPMS SASS**??????????

Bullseyelr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
VA
Removing muzzle brake from DPMS SASS**?????????? Are the muzzle brakes stuck on ther with red loctite or what? How in the hell can you get it off to run a CAN. I REALLY dont want to have to get it machined off,....hopefully just have to heat it up and break it loose. ANYONE KNOW????ANYONE GOT THEIRS OFF????
Thanks

Re: Removing muzzle brake from DPMS SASS**??????????

The ones I have seen were not installed with loc-tite, but they can be a real PITA to remove!

If you put the barrel in a barrel vice block/vice jaws and use the proper size wrench that fits the flats on the muzzle brake, it'll come off with some elbow grease.

Easier said than done! I am going to call DPMS tommorrow and ask how they put them on and how to take one off. I was just hoping someone else had already done it to save us all the trouble. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to run a CAN on their SASS.....Anyone else got any info?

put the upper in a block. then into a vise. use a small Coleman torch. Get it pretty hot and use a wrench to spin it off. Use a long handled wrench the extra leverage will help you out.

Did you do this on yours or is that advise on the "standard" way to get them off. I have done this before and the torch heats up the loctite so it loosens up, but I dont know what DPMS uses....loctite or what? So this is why I am wondering if this was done to yours or just general "muzzle brake removal know-how.
Thanks

Was your gun originally purchased in Virginia for the Virginia market? The reason I ask is if it was purchased from someone in New York State, threaded muzzle devices are permanently attached, usually through pinning and welding.

A bit of heat helps too.

Be careful not to heat too much tho....might ruin the temper.
About 250-300 degrees is as much as it should ever require. It has to be directed onto the brake and not the barrel.
A wet rag wrapped around the barrel and a heat gun on the brake works wonders.

KYSHOOTER338 is right. I called DPMS and the guy said they DO NOT use loctite and to heat it up alittle until it is "warm" and use a wrench to take it off. Might need alittle elbow grease. Thnaks guys for all the input.

I was gonna say the same thing..I just bought a DPMS mini-SASS, and a LR-308 AP4, and removed the flash hiders on both, and neither had loctite, neither did my previous LR308. They just take some ass to break loose, i didn't even use heat, just a long enough wrench, and a nice initial WHACK to break them loose, i think they have gorilla's torqueing the damn things on at the factory.

If they are on that tight, it can't be helping the accuracy. 20-30% of the torque is COMPRESSING the muzzle ID.

Remove it, then use locktite and they just need to be a little over hand tight.

I ordered my LR308 with a Miculek brake. I told DPMS that I wanted to be able to remove the brake with I ordered the rifle, but it was still difficult to remove. The first time required heat, and lots of torque to remove it. The person who said that DPMS must have a gorilla installing these parts was correct..and a damned strong gorilla at that. But it did come off..

Ok, did it today. EASY!!!!!!....use alittle heat from a MAP gas torch for about 30 seconds to "warm" it up so the metal expands....(only heat the muzzle brake)....use a 3/4" long wrench and a large rubber mallet and while it is "warm"....just bump the wrench with the rubber mallet and break it loose....came right off. Thanks to all of you who added info.

I have a similar question. I have a stainless 16 inch barrel, with a muzzle device on it. The problem I have is the muzzle device is perfectly round with no "square" notches in it. I have placed the upper in a vice block and can't get it to budge off. I have tried a towel with vice grips, lightly apply heat, I have tried brass rods through the middle and tried to twist, still nothing. Please help.

I have a similar question. I have a stainless 16 inch barrel, with a muzzle device on it. The problem I have is the muzzle device is perfectly round with no "square" notches in it. I have placed the upper in a vice block and can't get it to budge off. I have tried a towel with vice grips, lightly apply heat, I have tried brass rods through the middle and tried to twist, still nothing. Please help.
I use 2 vises with barrel blocks, one for the barrel and a smaller unmounted machine vise for the muzzle device. I've seen DIY action wrenches that also work. Also, if you're securing the upper and not clamping the barrel, you run the risk of damage or failure to the upper and/or barrel extension when removing a stubborn MD.