Gunsmithing Removing Savage BAS?

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
I'm trying to remove the bolt assembly screw on my savage bolt so I can swap out the bolt handle but its stuck on there pretty tight.

I've tried some brute strength, some heat, and some kroil and nothing. I don't want to bend or break anything. Any one have any ideas on what I should do next? I've heard freezing it might work by contracting the metal and allowing for a little wiggle room.

Been thinking I might just need to call savage, but not sure if they'll do anything or not?

Copied from savage shooters.com

First off, as its been said here, the easiest way to remove a stubborn BAS is to insert the 1/4" allen wrench as shown below. Then on a carpeted surface or rug, apply pressure (as indicated by the orange arrow) downward with your foot. I recommend wearing shoes when you step down. Do not be surprised if you hear a "crack" sound when the BAS breaks loose, and in rare cases you my have to bounce or stomp on it to get it to break free.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/...al Pics/SavageBASScrewRemoval_zps6020078a.jpg (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bo...cs/SavageBASScrewRemoval_zps6020078a.jpg.html)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Copied from savage shooters.com

First off, as its been said here, the easiest way to remove a stubborn BAS is to insert the 1/4" allen wrench as shown below. Then on a carpeted surface or rug, apply pressure (as indicated by the orange arrow) downward with your foot. I recommend wearing shoes when you step down. Do not be surprised if you hear a "crack" sound when the BAS breaks loose, and in rare cases you my have to bounce or stomp on it to get it to break free.
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/...al Pics/SavageBASScrewRemoval_zps6020078a.jpg (Bolt 1 Photo by bootsmcguire | Photobucket)

Tried this without luck.

Try this again - it has always worked for the most stubborn assembly screws I've come across, though one time I had to actually put all my weight on the thing to break it loose.

Get yourself a quality set of Allen drivers for 3/8" drive and use a breaking bar. Clamp that bolt in vee blocks and go to town...

Might have to try these. Boiler, how much do you weigh? I might need a bigger person to help me. I'm only at 125 and I've pretty much jumped up and down on it with no luck.

Wow... That thing is on there!

It really is. Its been in heat multiple times, had some kroil applied to it and had a guy at about 275lbs cranking on it with an allen wrench and a rubber mallet.

question for all, would it be okay to just soak the bolt handle end of the bolt in kroil or something similar to try to get it apart?

Yep, soak it in kroil, no harm. I'm quite confident a 3/8" drive and a breaking bar with do the trick. If you do sack it, use a heavy bass hammer or carefully with a heavy steel ball peen. Rubber mallet just absorbs the breaking shock.

I'll try to soak it then. I'll then try the breaking bar. How would you recommend I hold it in a vise if I can't find someone with vee blocks?

Take a solid wood block, a hard wood and drill a hole slightly smaller than the bolt through it. Cut it in half and you have your vise blocks. If it spins a tad, line the blocks with an old inner tube.