Rifle setup & fundamentals coaching around N. IL?

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Basically, I'm looking for a coach/instructor to go over with me, butt to barrel, fitting a new rifle. Bipod height, scope mount height and location, comb adjustment, LOP. And then, the basics and foundations of building correct positions, especially in the prone and bench.

My past rifle shooting experience is all FUDD-style, scope super low to bore, head rolled over, etc, and is from 20 years ago. I'm just starting to shoot rifles again and want to start with a clean slate and do it right.

I've done a good bit of reading here and watching videos on YouTube to figure it out on my own but I'm sure I've made mistakes. I also have anterior & posterior c-spine fusions that maybe someone experienced would know better how to account for.

Anyway, I'm located in NW IL and could drive a couple or few hours.

Or just roll with what I've got until I can attend one of the posted classes, like the OH 2-day?

Andy at River City Rifle is excellent. Is a gunsmith and a PRS/NRL 22 competitor located in the Byron area. I have shot against him, and attended his training and can highly recommend his services. Here’s his web site:

Reactions: 748rpilot
Also, the Aurora Sportsman Club has monthly PRS and PRS/NRL 22 matches. The people at the matches are a wealth of information and would be happy to help with any of those type of questions you may have. In addition, Frank (owner of Snipers Hide) and Marc offer a class in Iowa every other year that I have attended. I cannot recommend this class enough.

Reactions: 748rpilot
Thanks for the recommendation on RiverCity, I'll definitely give him a call. He's only about 1hr20m away so that'd be nice and easy.

I'll give Aurora Sportsman a call and see if they can recommend anyone. I've been wanting to get a membership there as well, as the other range I shoot at only goes to 200 yards.

I'd really like to attend a Frank and Marc class, either IA or OH. But, I wanted to get up and shooting ahead of that. I enjoyed Frank's book, even though Amazon delivered 2 damaged copies and people here talk really highly of the quality of instruction.