• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rimfire Upper Question

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
I'm sure this one gets beat to death every few months, but who makes the best rimfire upper? I'mm looking for well built and good accuracy. I shoot High Power and want to shoot a rimfire for practice. I'm thinking 20 inch barrel, free float guard and 1/4 minute sights. Am I over thinking it? Any thoughts on Model 1 Sales?

Re: Rimfire Upper Question

Ordered a Model one upper 6 months ago and was told it would ship in a couple weeks by the order taker on the phone. After no upper for 4 months and several calls they still had not shipped. I called and told them to keep it. I will not purchase from Model 1

Re: Rimfire Upper Question

Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?

The major choices for a Service Rifle upper include Ballistic Advantage, which uses Spike's Tactical's Atchisson bolt and Ciener compatible mags from Ciener, Black Dog Machine, or CMMG.

BA does several types of retro uppers, too. Barrels are about $250 if you're doing your own build.

M1S barrels may be available separately. If you are somewhere they're doing a gunshow, sometimes they'll bring stuff at request, but their builds are 8-12 weeks behind per recent e-mail and personal communication at the Fort Worth gun show last week. I have no idea how their 20" SR barrel shoots.They had bull and CAR uppers on the table. My 16"HB CAR shoots about 5/8" @ 50yd.

Compass Lake Engineering does Service Rifle and Space Gun upper (20")with premium Douglas barrels. Complete uppers are $1100, free float and all, use the M-261 bolt, and include 3 mag inserts and a single loading tool(M-261 can lock open on a USGI mag). Barrels $300+ $240 bolt and mag inserts. Extra charge for custom lengths like my 18"SPR. So far groups 3/8-9/16"@ 50yd. Wants to shoot one hole, but I carefully restrain such exuberance. Frank White's match uppers have flats milled on the barrel for setscrews instead of taper pins for the FSB so you can time the front sight to get the rear sight in the middle of its range. About 8 weeks, great folks to deal with.

Accuracy Speaks does barrels and uppers in match configuration on whatever .22 bolt you want to use, about $1100. Hey, you WILL save on ammo.