• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

What kind of price would you guys expect a Gen 1 RPR (243 win) to go for? its got 800 rounds down the tube so id expect whoever would buy it would be looking to re-barrel in the next 500 rounds. My hopes are not too high at this point.

The barrel life is an unknown in every used rifle. It always depends on the owner and how the rifle was used. The 243 has always been known as being hard on barrels for various reasons, one or 2 of which is the shoulder angle and neck length. I can get 1200 to 1600 thru a button rifled barrel before the throat is shot out. Then there is what is acceptable accuracy for the buyer. I like rifles that shoot in the .1" others will be ok with 1.00. Accuracy like speed costs money how fast do you want to go. If you do buy the rifle have a rifle smith take a look at it with a borescope.

I initially bought it when the 6.5s were impossible to find so the plan was to burn the barrel out and drop a 6.5 in just for the sake of seeing what the 6mm is all about. But lately I havent touched it and I'm kinda digging the origin action. I did run the 243 at 3100fps so I'm expecting that 1200-1600 round count to be accurate. Thanks for the response guys, I do think it's a great platform but I'm entering a new phaze of life and I think that I may need a more modular rifle, I dont take any offence and really this ruger shoots great.

Reactions: Retvet2009
Need some pic's in here

32491621390_367c80b113_c.jpg

25797251634_0d406d8496_c.jpg

Chad
There's the 338, 6.5 and .22 ?
IMG_7246.JPG

Any input on Brownells 6.5 CM barrels? They have a good return policy so I won’t be losing anything other than ammo.
The barrel is backordered but will be $230 shipped. $255 (trade discount) minus 10% today (11-7-18). Tempted to buy one and swap out the factory 243.

11-8-18: placed the order for one last night so whenever it goes back in stock and ships off I’ll be sure to follow up for those curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcarpenter223
I emailed Griffin Armament asking if they plan to make a .338 brake with the Taper Mount system but threaded for the RPR .338's 3/4x24.
They said yes in the near future, so I am VERY stoked for that and cannot wait.

Still haven't seen any of the magnums up for sale anywhere yet. How soon do you more experienced guys expect to see them on the hide post exchange? I'm all for waiting a bit until the "new" wears off and buying one at a discount if it's not too long.

Just wait for them to be back in stock and save $500 instead of letting someone else wear the "new" and god knows what else off: https://grabagun.com/ruger-precision-338lap-26-5-1-mlok.html

Reactions: AMP!
I’ve always had great buys here on the Hide. Only thing I can think of that wasn’t as planned was an attachment not being included when it was pictured or said it would come with it. Still hoping to resolve that, but mostly everyone is honest.

Reactions: McCrazy
Anyone have a stainless RPR shroud? Does the finish match the bolt? I usually do t care a whole lot about appearance, but my aluminum LRI shroud is kind of starting to look like crap...

3587C25A-329A-445A-BE18-EB9581C9D45F.jpeg

Looks like it’s just oxidizing like all bare aluminum will do. Hit it with some Meguiars Hot Wheels polish and it’ll be good as new if not better. I use a power ball and a drill on large surfaces. Or a Dremel with a polishing wheel on small parts.

Just out of curiosity...
I’ve got 3400 rounds now on my gen 1 308 RPR. It still operates totally smooth. I clean both the action/chamber and bore every couple hundred rounds. My question is, about how often do some of you other guys disassemble the bolt, clean it all out, oil, and reassemble?

I’ve done it once about 250 rounds in. Mainly because I stripped the bolt when I began load development to find the lands. Haven’t completely disassembled it since and I’m at 1015 rounds now. I do wipe it down and get in any crevices as needed if I shoot in dirty conditions but haven’t gotten that detailed.

Reactions: Bmoore0062
This may have already been answered, but does anyone know the lightest handguard made for RPR?

Specific to the RPR.

I have been looking at the Paper City and the Lancer systems one.

Are these the two lightest? Thanks in advance.

I have a carbon fiber (loose basket weave style). I just couldn't stand the weight of the metal fore ends or the sound they would make whenever rubbed in the brush. I really like this carbon fiber fore end, the link is below.
https://brigandarms.com/

I have a carbon fiber (loose basket weave style). I just couldn't stand the weight of the metal fore ends or the sound they would make whenever rubbed in the brush. I really like this carbon fiber fore end, the link is below.
Did it make a noticeable difference on the rpr?

I'm thinking of getting one for my AR but wasn't sure if it will be a totally noticeable difference in weight

Did it make a noticeable difference on the rpr?

I'm thinking of getting one for my AR but wasn't sure if it will be a totally noticeable difference in weight

It did for feel but I didn't weigh the difference. Beside I've more than put the weight back on with a heavy stainless can from SEG, a Burris Eliminator III LRF scope and bi-pod. May swap the bi-pod for a wheel barrel tire. I shouldn't whine, the lack of recoil because of the rifle weight is a real plus. It shoots like a rimfire. When I first got it and before installation, I was concerned it wouldn't hold up to rough handling. I've had it more than a year and it has held up very well. I'd buy it again.

Just out of curiosity...
I’ve got 3400 rounds now on my gen 1 308 RPR. It still operates totally smooth. I clean both the action/chamber and bore every couple hundred rounds. My question is, about how often do some of you other guys disassemble the bolt, clean it all out, oil, and reassemble?
Have you noticed any signs of the barrel reaching the end of its life yet?
Ie: groups opening up etc?

^ Not at all. It shoots consistently half MOA out to 600 with a 190gr SMK. It opens up to more like 1-1.25 MOA at 1000 but I only shoot there like 5 times a year so I believe that’s more me than the rifle.

Could you send me a pic of your rpr with this handguard also?

Is there a significant gap between handguard and action or does it butt up fairly well? That’s my main concern is the gap

Took my bolt apart. Couldn’t be easier. I was amazed at how clean it actually stays inside. Looked at and cleaned the surfaces that rub together. My only problem was that my spring tension tool popped out. Just put it in my vice, used the bolt handle to compress the spring, and popped the tool back in. Only took a matter of seconds. Everything looks all good

New to the group. Waiting on delivery of my new RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor (18029) hopefully today! I have read through all 52 pages of this thread, lots of great info (definitely drove my decision to purchase the RPR). Glass, mount, bipod and ammo on order as well. Hoping to get it set-up and out shooting in the desert before the end of November.

Reactions: Xandrosi
P

Is there a significant gap between handguard and action or does it butt up fairly well? That’s my main concern is the gap

PVA sells a replacement barrel nut that allows the use of all standard AR15 handguard without the gap issue caused by the stock nut.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-nut-wrench-ruger-precision-rifle/

It would allow the use of just about any carbon fiber (or aluminum) handguard made for the AR.

New to the group. Waiting on delivery of my new RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor (18029) hopefully today! I have read through all 52 pages of this thread, lots of great info (definitely drove my decision to purchase the RPR). Glass, mount, bipod and ammo on order as well. Hoping to get it set-up and out shooting in the desert before the end of November.
Welcome, and enjoy the addiction!

Reactions: LongRangeLefty

I have some pictures posted in this thread, dated Sep 2, 2018. There not close ups but do show the handguard after I rattle canned and sponged on the camo.

Got a 24" Brownells 6 Creedmoor barrel in. For those curious, the barrel diameter at the muzzle end is about 0.751", middle 0.901", chamber end 1.00".
I need to borrow some go/no-go gauges and I'll be set. Hope I can develop a good load for it. If it blows, back it goes..

IMG_0504.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0508.jpg

Reactions: Mountainbum
Keep us updated. I’d be curious hot it performs.
Will do. I just rented some gauges online so I should be getting them in this week. I'm not set up to reload 6mm yet so I'll get a few boxes of factory loads to test.

Edited to add: I'm not the one to do any break-in stuff. Just gonna install, clean, and shoot.

Will do. I just rented some gauges online so I should be getting them in this week. I'm not set up to reload 6mm yet so I'll get a few boxes of factory loads to test.

Edited to add: I'm not the one to do any break-in stuff. Just gonna install, clean, and shoot.
HA! Same, just shoot the thing, it’ll break itself in.

There’s some good factory ammo out there between Hornady Match and Prime. What are you going to test with?