• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes S&B PM II 5-25 vs. NF ATACR 7-35

TipToeTango

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Statesville, NC
I've got a 7-35 Tremor3, but came into a S&B PMII h59 deal I couldn't pass up. I don't need both optics and can't figure out which way to go. The NF is still sealed in box. I can't figure out which way to go completing my 6.5 Creedmoor build. I'd love to hold onto both but doesn't make much sense keeping funds tied up when don't have another build plan for awhile. Thoughts?

I have S&B's with both the T3 and H59 and I like both. I have looked though NF and to me the glass is better on the S&B but it comes down to which scope fits your eye better. I think a 7x35 is over kill for a 6.5cm. I used a 5x25's on 6cm, 6.5cm and 300wm. I have a 3x27 for the .338. They will both do all you need so sounds like you may need to do 2 builds...LOL

LOL one custom build is all I could afford for now but you're definitely right! The S&B just fell in lap so trying to re-coop what I can to start another build down road. I can understand the overkill, that's definitely a factor I'm considering. Preciate the feedback

I’m going to have to just bust the seal on the NF and give it a look side by side. Down the road if I build larger caliber I can move it over. I will let them “speak” to me and then decide. I pick up my build next week, antsy to say the least

Reactions: Patriots1884
I would go with the NF 7-35x.

The Field of View on the Schmidt at 5x is basically the same as the NF on 7x. You are not gaining anything on the low end at all.

The ATACR glass is some very very good glass. My friend has a 5-25 Schmidt and a 4-16x ATACR, and the ATACR is a lot better at twilight when hunting; it's unreal.

I’d keep the 7-35. I have a s&b with an h59 and it’s my back up optic because I like the feature set on the NF better. It’s basically 7-35 vs 7-25. Why not pick the 7-35?

Reactions: Voyager1
NF 7-35 got destroyed in a recoil test on a big gun, side by side with SB 5-25 which survived without sweat. Disassembled the damaged NF shows lots of use of plastic parts. I would recommend SB. Yes it was very big gun. I cannot share photos or publicize the test for specific reasons, so consider my statement as a rumor if you wish.

NF 7-35 got destroyed in a recoil test on a big gun, side by side with SB 5-25 which survived without sweat. Disassembled the damaged NF shows lots of use of plastic parts. I would recommend SB. Yes it was very big gun. I cannot share photos or publicize the test for specific reasons, so consider my statement as a rumor if you wish.

You cant show photos because they dont exist and if you did show "use of lots of plastic parts", then that would be libel as its not true.

The BULLSHIT flag has just been thrown!

You can certainly show us photos of the damaged NF optic parts , the
optic is in the public domain so no issues there . No need to show us faces
of those involved , or pics of the ‘ very big gun ‘ ....... We are curious now .

EDIT : which particular parts are made of plastic ? We deserve to know ....

You can certainly show us photos of the damaged NF optic parts , the
optic is in the public domain so no issues there . No need to show us faces
of those involved , or pics of the ‘ very big gun ‘ ....... We are curious now .

EDIT : which particular parts are made of plastic ? We deserve to know ....
I'll see what I can do. As I agree with you that we deserve to know. One tip, the very big gun is using 12.7×108, hope you know where this is going and why it is difficult for me to post anything about it. I may not be able to post anything, so yes I can be totally BSing.

Reactions: Stoweit
I'll see what I can do. As I agree with you that we deserve to know. One tip, the very big gun is using 12.7×108, hope you know where this is going and why it is difficult for me to post anything about it. I may not be able to post anything, so yes I can be totally BSing.

Im not discounting that you or whomever you know or are affiliated with damaged the scope, although highly suspect, but the fact you state you found "alot of plastic parts" upon disassembly. That is false and a lie being used to discredit Nightforce. True definition....seditious libel.
I have direct contact via text with one of the NF engineers via my job and hit him up to see if your claim may be legit. His response...."absolute BS!....one plastic piece in the illumination control".

12.7x108 is a brutal machine and things can and do break. Your claim to that is highly plausible, but given your willingness to proliferate false info....I'm apprehensive being the owner of a 7-35 that saw two barrels worth of use on a 300NM and now lives on a 375CT with 1100 rounds through it and zero issues as well as several other NF's that continue to work as every govt. issued S&B scope I see continues to shit the bed. That is 110% fact!

I just saw where 00bullitt, a NF MIL guy was posting on the Hide again. I just PM'ed him this thread to see if he was willing to chime in.

Reactions: Bulletsmith
Man I'd love to see a comparison. Even at 100 yards, with a scope camera and one of the seeing eye charts and color wheel...

S&B makes a fine scope, optically. When you have the opportunity to put several of them on a line and compare, you will quickly see that for every one that is better than a NF, a NF will edge out a Scmidt. They are very tit for tat when you get to see a large sampling in like conditions.....and that IS using a multi colored 1951 USAF rez chart, so a more objective comparison versus a subjective feel.

I have direct contact via text with one of the NF engineers via my job and hit him up to see if your claim may be legit. His response...."absolute BS!....one plastic piece in the illumination control".

I just saw where 00bullitt, a NF MIL guy was posting on the Hide again. I just PM'ed him this thread to see if he was willing to chime in.

I can say with 100% confidence that the info you received from our engineer is absolutely correct.

Reactions: Precisiondada
Schmidt is the better scope
One thing I know in the almost 20 years of shooting is S&B has never had to meet other's standards, The PMII has been the golden standard for all others, including NF. After that it all becomes a personal choice.
well said. Every scope manufacture has the pm2 on a mantel looking at it building there scopes. You don't see a nightforce beast in there, it's still the pm2. I don't get how some people say they would pic an atacr over a pm2. Nightforce is very good and have great things going for them, but the pm2 is still the the #1 now that being said tangent theta may have a go at that title now but we'll see

Can you elaborate on this "shit he bed" what does that mean.

I don't think it's literally "every" but I know that it does happen. Another thing to think about is the Gov issued scopes probably see a lot more use and abuse than most. Even with good parts, after so many cycles of huge amounts of G-force, and from getting rode around in a Humvee, something will eventually give way.

Parallax issues, tracking issues, RTZ issues, fogging issues, locking turrets screw right off, parallax knobs come off. If you run in the Gov circles where they are issued you know. And its not from deployment use. Majority issues are out of the box as issued. Sad to see the once gold standard going down the tubes.
The only thing they have going for them are beautiful optics.
The issued NF's run strong; old and new.
I hate to sound brand biased as I'm not....I'm biased for what works reliably!
If NF starts to let me down, you will certainly hear about it.

Parallax issues, tracking issues, RTZ issues, fogging issues, locking turrets screw right off, parallax knobs come off. If you run in the Gov circles where they are issued you know. And its not from deployment use. Majority issues are out of the box as issued. Sad to see the once gold standard going down the tubes.
Is this guy serious? Bro walk into nightforce and there is a pm2 sitting on the engineers desk, like really the once gold standard??? I guess S&B beet out all other optics and got the contract because they are shit and washed up? Nightforce more reliable then a pm2 lol not even close

I'd be interested to see a source cited or a contact provided for someone or something that can back up this kind of info.

I'm not even remotely convinced that any of the big name manufacturers are "perfect," but to hear of a company like S&B basically sending out a scope that's literally falling apart in the box all by itself as new from the factory is something I'm simply not prepared to believe without a credible source or a report to back it up...

I'd be interested to see a source cited or a contact provided for someone or something that can back up this kind of info.

I'm not even remotely convinced that any of the big name manufacturers are "perfect," but to hear of a company like S&B basically sending out a scope that's literally falling apart in the box all by itself as new from the factory is something I'm simply not prepared to believe without a credible source or a report to back it up...
Amen brother ?

Is this guy serious? Bro walk into nightforce and there is a pm2 sitting on the engineers desk, like really the once gold standard??? I guess S&B beet out all other optics and got the contract because they are shit and washed up? Nightforce more reliable then a pm2 lol not even close

“Is this guy serious?” Lol I could ask you the same thing with your obvious bias toward S&B. I’m not saying that S&B isn’t good anymore or anything else, but to say that “not even close” is completely misinformed. I’ve got both a S&B and NF. I’ve had to send both back for warranty and my S&B needed the entire erector system replaced. Works fine now, but to say not even close is delusional. They both will break or need repairs if used hard enough. They are both top tier reliable. I even had to send 2 Tangent Thetas back, a 315M and 5252P so nothing at this level is substantially more reliable than the other. Otherwise it wouldn’t be considered a tier 1 optic.

Its pure fact brother. Like I said....if you know you know. No skin off my back. Believe what you want. Ask around, do your due dilligence. What I'm stating is fact, not some proliferated lie like Cageli posted.
The S&B contract has come and gone. What they once were aint what they are now. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

“Is this guy serious?” Lol I could ask you the same thing with your obvious bias toward S&B. I’m not saying that S&B isn’t good anymore or anything else, but to say that “not even close” is completely misinformed. I’ve got both a S&B and NF. I’ve had to send both back for warranty and my S&B needed the entire erector system replaced. Works fine now, but to say not even close is delusional. They both will break or need repairs if used hard enough. They are both top tier reliable. I even had to send 2 Tangent Thetas back, a 315M and 5252P so nothing at this level is substantially more reliable than the other. Otherwise it wouldn’t be considered a tier 1 optic.
Cool bro, I got 3 schmidts, a nightforce beast, and USO. So don't tell me I'm bias. I always find Schmidt and bender complainers liars who never had one and say they did. You got guys calling Schmidt junk and praising nightforce but as soon as someone defends Schmidt they are bias. ?

Reactions: Bigrederic
Cool bro, I got 3 schmidts, a nightforce beast, and USO. So don't tell me I'm bias. I always find Schmidt and bender complainers liars who never had one and say they did. You got guys calling Schmidt junk and praising nightforce but as soon as someone defends Schmidt they are bias. ?
And unlike the tools bashing Schmidt I actually complumeanted nightforce and admired they are top tier 1 scopes and have a lot of great things going. But it's funny it's like there is a select group of Schmidt haters who will bash it and bash it like I mentioned and say there optic is better but when someone defends Schmidt it's a bias opinion. LOL

Lol if you’re infurring I don’t have one just look at the thread where someone was asking for a scar 17 optic. I posted my scar with a 5-20 in there. You can look at my thread history and might be able to find my sale post of my other S&Bs as well as my TT’s. I clearly stated that S&B wasn’t junk. I’m just saying that they are close. And you said “not even close.” And that is a sadly misinformed statement.

Edit: I’ll save you the work

7B92EF18-A426-4B2D-9066-4086F8CA3F09.jpeg

Lol if you’re infurring I don’t have one just look at the thread where someone was asking for a scar 17 optic. I posted my scar with a 5-20 in there. You can look at my thread history and might be able to find my sale post of my other S&Bs as well as my TT’s. I clearly stated that S&B wasn’t junk. I’m just saying that they are close. And you said “not even close.” And that is a sadly misinformed statement.

Edit: I’ll save you the work

View attachment 6880746
No no no, I never said you didn't have one, and I did not say the Schmidt is better and it's not even close, I said more reliable. Ruggedness, battleproven, can have one for 15 years beat to hell and glass and tracking phenomenal. So no that is not misleading. Go get an atacr and 10 years from now after getting beat to hell let me know how the turrets feel and the tracking

No no no, I never said you didn't have one, and I did not say the Schmidt is better and it's not even close, I said more reliable. Ruggedness, battleproven, can have one for 15 years beat to hell and glass and tracking phenomenal. So no that is not misleading. Go get an atacr and 10 years from now after getting beat to hell let me know how the turrets feel and the tracking

I’ve been using my ATACR 7-35 for hunting starting about 5-6 months ago so I’ll definitely be using it in more than a bench setting. We’ll see how it holds up. No problems so far. I believe the ATACR and S&B pmii line of scopes to be equally reliable.

Reactions: Voyager1
I’ve been using my ATACR 7-35 for hunting starting about 5-6 months ago so I’ll definitely be using it in more than a bench setting. We’ll see how it holds up. No problems so far. I believe the ATACR and S&B pmii line of scopes to be equally reliable.
I dont discount the capability of what an atacr is (can be) but like you said 5-6 months. But there are 1000s of guys out there with pm2s that have been shot day in and out in the dirt and mud for 10-15 years... so I do not think my stemeant of not even close (ruggedness wise) is untrue until there are 100s let alone 1000s out there who have had them and beat them for the amount of time as the schmidts. Like I said nightforce is tier 1 stuff.