• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Savage 10FP Folding Choate build

Heath_h49008

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
Michigan
I'm getting all the components ready to start my first long range accurized rifle build. I'm going to list what I have, and what I'm trying to do, and hope you guys will tell me if I'm missing something, or about to make a huge mistake.

I have a Savage 10FP Folding Choate with the Accutrigger as my base.
My scope will be a Millet TRS-1 Mil/Mil 4-16x50.

The bi-pod will probably be just a Harris with swivel.

I'm uncertain about my rings and base, but from what I gather I should be looking at steel and probably flat instead of 20moa as my local ranges are limited to 300m and shorter.

I am hoping to add a can at some point, most likely a Form 1 build of my own as soon as our new AG get's sworn in for the State of Michigan. What should I do to get the barrel threaded? Anything I should avoid? Is a new threaded barrel a better way to go?

I plan to bed the action with JB Weld. Of all the options, this seems the easiest.

Duracoat or Cerakote the whole thing a functional base color and switch my camo with Krylon as the terrain suits. Will Cerakote stick to the Choate plastic? Will the Duracoat hold up to me cleaning the Krylon off with carb cleaner? Screw it and just Krylon it like I do my other guns?

I've been salivating over the ACME DBM from Sharp Shooter Supply, but I don't think I can justify $250 for a few more rnds. (I can always do it later.) Is there a cheaper option with the factory Detachable mag?

Is there anything I need to add to my list? Is there any tuning I should do to the action? I'm hearing about "bolt lift kits" but I'm not quite sure why I would need one...

Thanks ahead of time for any advice. I have been lurking for quite some time, and cannot wait to start putting rounds into the backstop with this monster. Without this place, I doubt I would be able to put together as functional a rifle to learn with.

Heath