• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage MkII

_Shay_

thing 2
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
USA
Well, i am looking for a more accurate 22. I know they arent the best, but they seem pretty good. I cant afford Auchnuts, so I decided on this. Should I get a bull barrel model, or a normal barrel. Synthetic or wood stock? Thanks Hide.

Re: Savage MkII

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, i am looking for a more accurate 22. I know they arent the best, but they seem pretty good. I cant afford Auchnuts, so I decided on this. Should I get a bull barrel model, or a normal barrel. Synthetic or wood stock? Thanks Hide.</div></div>

Get the bull barrel, it will shoot atleast as well as you do, maybe better. Feed it with good ammo, mine likes Wolf Match Target.

If it's a target rifle or you don't mind the extra weight in a hunting rig, I would go bull barrel and synthetic stock.

I got one the the special runs it's the "Mako" it's a Savage MKII in a special lam. wood stock. I got it at (link) it was 300.00 and it is a great shooter. You would have to order it thru a FFL holder but this should be a problem. I would think they are sold out of this run but they may have something that catches your eye. They buy overruns or overstock and sell them at a reduced price. I would find the going price then check them out or better if you see something they have check and see what gunbroker has them for. I saved about 200 on the Mako over gunbroker.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Not as good as some of the aftermarket stocks you can get for it. The laminated wood stocks would be nice. I have to say I tend to lean a little to the synthetic/laminated stocks over soild wood. But on 22lr it shouldn't flex any, and if you don't get it into high humidity areas the wood should be ok.

What ever you get the MKII in you will be happy with how it shoots. Give the cheap Remington Sub-sonic's a try mine really likes them and there cheap.

Do a search on here on the savage MKII and you will find alot out about this rifle. Just set your date back some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, i am looking for a more accurate 22. I know they arent the best, but they seem pretty good. I cant afford Auchnuts, so I decided on this. Should I get a bull barrel model, or a normal barrel. Synthetic or wood stock? Thanks Hide.</div></div>

if your looking for some more advice, get a rifle basix trigger in it if it doesn't have an accutrigger, make sure the barrel is freefloating, put a sloped scope base on it (egw or rimfire technologies), and decent glass
some ammo thru a mkii info here:
22 ammo threads

22 rifle accessories

I couldn't be happier with my savage MKII. I opted for the BTV, blue bull barrel with the laminate thumbhole stock. I payed about $360 OTD but I've seen them offered at cabelas and dicks for $299. Ive got a buddie that had a tricked out 10/22 once he saw some of my targets he traded it a few days later for the BTVS (stainless thumbhole) and says he'll never turn back. I've read about plenty of people being happy with any and all of the MKII line it's just about what you want from it and what your willing to spend. Give the Rimfirecental.com savage forum a look theirs plenty of range reports to flip thru.

heres one of my 5shot 50yrd groups, and Im not a very good shot so the rifle is probably capable of more in better hands.
dime-1.jpg

Shay,

Like said above look at EGW get one of there 20moa bases for it. The two piece bases mine came with was out of spec or something they flexed the scope in my rings. Made it not what to power right and you could see the reticle trying to twist in the scope as you turned the power ring. After my EGW base cam in I replaced the mount and everything worked as should. I went with a Tasco varmit 6X24X44mm from midway like 70$ and not a bad scope for a 22LR. It got target knob and mil-dots. But a Nikon scope is what I want for it just couldn't come up with the coin at the time. I also got a set of Weaver Tactical rings they are plenty strong for a 22 and built like the 100$+ rings just made out of alum. in lieu of steel.

My MkII shoots great. Find some ammo it likes and it will shoot with any other .22LR.

The laminated stocks are rock solid and their added weight is a plus especially when duplicating a centerfire rig. I would recommend the hunter style heavy barrel. The thumb-hole stocks are comfortable for some and just don't fit others at all (me). At least throw the different styles to your shoulder in a gun shop before settling on one online. The hunter style stocks will also allow weak hand shooting. Enjoy.

Mine's secondhand, old, and very heavily used. Blued sporter weight barrel, black basic plastic stock, Tasco rings and an $80 Tasco 6-24x42 Mildot scope. It's my goto rifle for Bolt Gun training.

It owes me nada.

Greg

Savage MKII can be deadly accurate, just got to find the ammo it likes (like any .22LR). Mine isn't so good with Wolf Match (although that works for most everyone else). It loves Fiocchi Super Match though.

As a low cost trainer, can't beat it. I sometimes think it's more fun than the centerfire rifles...but then I come around again pretty quickly.

5 round group at 50 yds.

Fiocchi22LR.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine all tarted up:
DSC01147.jpg

10rnds 200yds Wolf ME:
DSC01145.jpg
</div></div>
Nice !!! What stock is this? Thanks. </div></div>

Sharp Shooters Supply JVT

100_0400.jpg

L - R ... 5x6, 4x5, & 3.5x3.75 inch - 200 yard gongs - Shot with .22LR (Savage MKII FVT w/Tasco Mil-Dot 6-24x42 Scope) - Aguila .22LR Golden Eagle Match (1100 fps) - Shot from bench off Bi-Pod and Sling - Rifle tucked into shoulder with "NO" rear sandbag or locking in divices. Shot Sunday July 19, 2009...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What 1 piece base can I get that is 20 moa?
</div></div>

Go to EGW site and order the one piece 20MOA picatinny rail. Works great and is only around 40.00

Alan

EGW 20 MOA base MKII

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one question. What model is one with a bull barrel and black stock, and what is the usual price. (for the 22lr)</div></div>

The one I got was the MKII FV bull barrel and black plastic stock. The stock sucked, but the gun shot well enough with it. The major problems I had with the stock was the flexy forend and the comb was way to low for the big scope I am using. Think I payed $270ish for it.

keep your eye open for one in the gun shops I picked up a Model 93R17-GLV for like 150 lightly use. If you are willing to wait I know you can find one like that, I have seen several around where I live that are cheap like that.

Shay,

Check around the prices list on there site are much more than the street price. Look over at gunbroker and search for the Savage MKII models you like and you'll get a better idea of going price. Alot of the sellers are gun shops.

Ken

Shay,

Get the bull barreled gun with the cheaper stock if you can't get the wood stocked one. You can upgrade stocks later and easier than the barrel. The bull barrel will shoot better groups than the light barrel. The light barrel will heat up to quick and cuase the groups to open up.

+1 on looking around for a used one at the local shops. You may also check and see how much a ffl will cost you if you bought one from someone else and had it shipped over.

210$ for the bull barreled I'd grab one. If the stock gives you problems upgrade it later on. I havn't picked up any of my other 22's scine I got my Mako Savage MKII it just out shots them all.

I am still not sure. I think I was wrong on the price. maybe? WAIT I FOUND ONe!! Buds gun shop, $181 dollars! WOO! I hope they are that price in town

Don't forget if you find a good deal you can buy it and have it transfered to your local ffl. It will cost you the shipping and transfer fee at your ffl mine charges 25$ but some are 50$ just ask at the different shop around you find the cheapest. Get a copy of there ffl you'll have to send it with your money order to whoever your buying it from.

The one in towns fee is 45 dollars, but I dont know what the other is. I still dont know what the prices in town are though. Maybe if I show them a deal they will match it or lower the price a little.

Maybe they would if they had it in stock but if they have to order it in they may out be able to bet the price. Most of the time they ordered it for x and want to make y on it.

You should be able to find a deal on one though.

Bud's is a fairly large gun shop you can find stuff from them on gunbroker. Sometimes they have pic's of there store looks like they buy in numbers.

I have done a Remington 1100 with Kylon OD Green. The gun was used and the finish look bad like the blue was gone or it was not blued and finished some other way. The shotgun had black plastic stock and forearm so I just clean it and sprayed at. It turned out looking ok. There are some other bake on type finishes but I don't know anything about them. I have only done the one shotgun it's hard for me to paint something new I just spent money on. I do keep the kylon paints (camo type) in the shop just in case I need to blend in to the AO in case of SHTF.