• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Savage or Remi?

Re: Savage or Remi?

I was thinking Savage until the Rem 5R caught my eye. I saw a Savage Model 10 FCP McMillan with 24" barrel at a local shop, but then I found a great deal on the 5R and the rest is history. This is my second Rem 700.
I followed the recommendation here to go with the SuperSniper 10x42 for $299 as the best scope for the money to put on my 5R until I can afford a top end scope. I'll be happywhen it arrives; they are on backorder right now.

I've been touting a particular inexpensive scope for a long time, and I still do. My reasoning is that if a mderately high priced scope meets your needs and means, it's the better choice.

But I also think that allowing an inability to procure such a scope should never hold one up from wading into the process.

Get a capable rifle, not necessarily a premium one, and if an inexpensive scope can get you running sooner, I like the Tasco VAR624X42M.

You can always upgrade later, and it makes a good scope for a .22LR trainer, which is a key facet to marksmanship development program.

And while it's on the .22LR, it also serves nicely as a proven hot spare should your main rifle need a replacement scope on short notice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Staghead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well now that iv got it..the next question the proper scope..ill be shooting out to 550yds and I kinda don't wanna spend more than like 300$..any decent recomendations? </div></div>

If it was only for target work, I would buy a SWFA 10x.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Staghead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well now that iv got it..the next question the proper scope..ill be shooting out to 550yds and I kinda don't wanna spend more than like 300$..any decent recomendations? </div></div>

If it was only for target work, I would buy a SWFA 10x.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

-Steve </div></div>

+1

cool.gif
Good Morning:

I was just reading your post regarding the Savage Model 10 FCP, Desert Tan Stock. We must shop at the same large sporting goods chain in different state. The Model 10 FCP you saw is not listed in any of the Savage literature I looked at. The rifle on display caught my eye, but I am looking for the Model 10 FLCP-K, .308, Left Hand. The left hand Savage SKU is the SAG10610. You can find additional information at: http://www.savagearms.com.

The right hand Model 10 FCP. SKU is SAG10608 for 2010. The rifle is listed in the Savage Law Enforcement firearms area. It is available in .223 and .308. The information at the Savage Web site lists the stock as a black synthetic. The rifles we recently saw (I saw the rifle two weeks ago and again 0n 8/29/2010) may not be current 2010 Models.

The 2010 Savage Arms Web site lists the rifles with the Acoustic, Accutrigger, Muzzle Break, 24" Barrel, and Black Synthetic Stock. The Savage Model 10 FCP and FLCP-K are the equivalent to the Remington Model 700P LTR, SKU 25739, and Remington Model 700P LTR, LH, SKU 86457. The Savage has a Detachable Magazine, and the Remington may have a Hinged Floor Plate.

The 2010 Savage is approximately $200 - $300.00 less that the Remington Model 700P. Both Savage and Remington offer these models with either McMillan or HS Precision Stocks at a premium from the factory. The detail for the Remington Model 700P is available at: http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

That large sporting goods chain is calling the distributor to see if the Model 10 FLCP-K, left hand is available. You could but the Savage Model 10 FCP at the store for the price they had listed. That would give you about $200.00 to $300.00 under the price of the Remington Model 700P to apply to that .308 ammo or a new long range scope.

You may also want to view a post at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=289565

The pictures of the Savage Model 10 FCP-K show the rifle as listed at the Savage Web site. I preder teh Desert Tan Stock, but the Black Stock can be replaced by the new owner. The Savage Model 10 is also supposed to be sub MOA out of the box.

###

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 2 cents would be if you plan to leave the rifle stock go savage.

if you plan on upgrading go remington</div></div>

+1

And go with the .308.

Just to mix it up a bit... here is a quote from another Remington shooter (who shall remain nameless) here on the Hide.

"I know them Savages can shoot as I've been beaten by them on several occasions."

Just sayin...

DK

And just to let you know... Savage has a 5R option out there with a fluted and threaded barrel from the factory. Just so you know.

No multiple weeks at the gunsmith, user/builder friendly, cheaper to get into and shoot... simple enough to me.

DK

Folks, time to smell the coffee.

The Savage 110 action is probably the rifle action with the greatest longevity on the modern market. It's neither a newcomer, nor a dud. People have antipathies, and in the case of the Savage 10 and 110, they are probably pretty much without basis.

Preferences and prejudices aside, it works, works well, the aftermarket industry has acknowledged this; and putting up with Remmy's iffy QC, and Winchester's iffy production status of late, is less justified than simply biting the bullet and admitting that the Savage is simply the better choice on a number of levels.

Wake up, folks!

Greg