• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

savage spiral flute bolt

aussiegolf89

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Abiline, TX
does anybody know where i can get a savage bolt with the spiral flutes complete ready to go for a savage 10 .308? i could have mine sent off but i would rather have one ready to go so i can still shoot. thanks

Re: savage spiral flute bolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out www.sharpshooters.com. They specialize in savages.</div></div>

not only does sharpshooters supply not do spiral fluting, but you may order AND pay for something today and not get it for months..

pacific tool and gauge is you're betst bet for a replacement that is already flute(technically, spiral ground) for $100, but even w/ them it'll take a little while, but like you say, you'll be able to shoot until it arrives, then just swap the bolt bodies out.

damm! thanks for the quick responce guys! its nice to have a place like this to ask questions and get answers fast! i am unsure though about doing a bolt body. im not a gunsmith and dont or havent ever pulled a bolt apart, so idk if a bolt body is the way i should go. is it easy to change bolt bodies? if anybody has a vid or something i can go by step by step i could probably do it. i really dont know why i want the sprial fluting other than i think it looks cool. anyways thanks and keep the ideas comin!

A couple ways to finish a bolt body would be parkerize, duracoat. You can go to youtube and search and come up with some videos on how to. Duracoat is the easiest, basically clean it good and spraypaint it with duracoat. If you want to have it done you can have it cerakoted which is some what like duracoat except you cook it.

About taking the bolt apart, it is pretty simple. Again, do a youtube search and it will show you how to do it in like 2 min.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anybody know where i can get a savage bolt with the spiral flutes complete ready to go for a savage 10 .308? i could have mine sent off but i would rather have one ready to go so i can still shoot. thanks </div></div>

I spiral flute Savage but don't usually stock them as they run $30-40ish just for the body (before I flute it) which means money tied up just setting around.

If you're looking for something like this:
image-serv-fluted.jpg

shoot me an email [email protected] - I may have one on hand depending on what you are looking for. If not turnaround time is fairly quick depending on work load.

I also do matching spiral bolt knobs www.darkeaglecustom.com

product-5.jpg

And two-tone if you're looking for a little bling:

product-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anybody know where i can get a savage bolt with the spiral flutes complete ready to go for a savage 10 .308? i could have mine sent off but i would rather have one ready to go so i can still shoot. thanks </div></div>

I spiral flute Savage but don't usually stock them as they run $30-40ish just for the body which means money tied up just setting around.

If you're looking for something like this:
image-serv-fluted.jpg

shoot me an email [email protected] - I may have one on hand depending on what you are looking for. If not turnaround time is fairly quick depending on work load.

I also do matching spiral bolt knobs www.darkeaglecustom.com

product-5.jpg

And two-tone if you're looking for a little bling:

product-3.jpg
</div></div>

do these come in pink?

Deadeye's stuff looks sick! Hoping to be getting both the bolt body and bolt knob/handle soon for a savage .308 and .223. Would have never seen your stuff if it wasent for the forum! Glad i put out feelers here!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lencomatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang Deadeye, those are badass! Could I send you a bolt and have you flute it and do a knob in the 2-tone? </div></div>

Sure - just shoot me an email [email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking stuff Deadeye...don't own a Savage but am not 100% Remington biased. They do offer a lot of options.. </div></div>

I do Remington too..........

Do you have a guess on turnaround time? I'm in winter/school right now so I won't be shooting until may. Also what's the advantage of a fluted bolt? Looks and maybe cooling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve1212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a guess on turnaround time? I'm in winter/school right now so I won't be shooting until may. Also what's the advantage of a fluted bolt? Looks and maybe cooling?</div></div>
less metal contacting the inside of the receiver = less resistance and drag. also less likely for dirt to "jam" it up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">less metal contacting the inside of the receiver = less resistance and drag. also less likely for dirt to "jam" it up...</div></div>

Thanks that makes sense.

My buddy got one of these in at his shop... I did NOT like it at all, at least on the savage. Seemed to catch due to the sharp lines of the fluting. Not only that, whatever it was they coated the bolt in, was scratching where it was making contact. I was NOT impressed with Savage on this one....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy got one of these in at his shop... I did NOT like it at all, at least on the savage. Seemed to catch due to the sharp lines of the fluting. Not only that, whatever it was they coated the bolt in, was scratching where it was making contact. I was NOT impressed with Savage on this one....
</div></div>

This is a good point. What are they coating the bolts with in the first place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buddy got one of these in at his shop... I did NOT like it at all, at least on the savage. Seemed to catch due to the sharp lines of the fluting. Not only that, whatever it was they coated the bolt in, was scratching where it was making contact. I was NOT impressed with Savage on this one....
</div></div>

It wasn't one of mine.

I polish the entire bolt after fluting, then it gets preped and finished in GunKote. I have some that have been running now for years and still look good.