Schmidt elevation prob

Hankcrm

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2021
Florida
I’ve just picked up a used SB PM ll 3-20-50. It has the double turn turret and it’s on a 30 MOA rail. It seems no matter what I do I’m only get 12 MILS of elevation. I replaced a Athlon Midas tac with this and it was getting around 17 MILs. Any help appreciated.

I can zero. I’m just limited to 12MIL on elevation. No matter where my zero is I only have the 12. It’s like there’s a rev limiter. Going to try and contact someone during the week but it’s going to drive me crazy before then

Put the turret on zero, loosen the 2 set screws in the turret and rotate the turret up 4 or 5 mils and retighten the 2 screws. You will still feel all the clicks while the screws are loose but that's how you do it. You should now have 4-5 mils of down travel.

If this is how you are doing it and it's not adjusting something is off.

Put the rifle in a vice or a rest that allows you to spin the turrets without disturbing the point of aim.

Loosen the set screws in the turret to release the elevation adjustment screw.

Spin the elevation turret. Does the reticle move? If it does, that means the set screws are not releasing the elevation adjustment screw. So even though you zeroed the point of impact, the instant you went to reset the turret you changed the elevation adjustment all over again.

I think this was a problem with some of these scopes a few years ago and S&B did some sort of a modification to them. I would send it in for repair.

I haven’t put it in a vice but had it bagged up solid and tried it. When the screws were backed out it didn’t move when I cranked on it. On most of my center fire rifles it will do everything I need. Was just hoping for more on my 22

This wouldn't happen on a Quigley Ford

Lock the elevation turret,loosen the two setscrews on the outside diameter in line with the “LOCKED” indicator using an Allen key (see Illustr. 7). Unlock the turret by pulling up the outer flange and turn the turret until the engraved “0” is indicated by the triangle on the saddle. Lock the elevation turret by pushing down the outer flange with the engraving and tighten the two setscrews with an Allen key. To zero the windage turret, removed the turret cap and loosen the two setscrews turn the turret to zero. Then retighten the screw and screw the turret cap back onto the turret

.The turrets are secured by an additional third slotted screw which should only be removed when completely replacing the turret due to damage.

The turret clicks can still be felt and heard when the screws are unlocked. This has no impact on the processof zeroing as the thread piece does not move while the setscrews are loose

Done it. I have the scope zeroed. I’ve zeroed it and then have 12MILS elevation available. Then I’ve added 12 mils on top of that and zeroed again. Then I’ve got 11 MILs of elevation left. That tells me I should have a total of 23 Mils from my original zero?

Oh boy.

Call Jerry at the Schmidt and Bender USA facility tomorrow and tell him what's going on. He will either walk you through it, or have you send it in for inspection. They're pretty quick at getting them back out if the latter happens

Yep time to call Jerry..

Last thing I would try is run the elevation all the way up as far as it will go. Loosen the set screws and. Turn it until you are up in the 2nd rev and on the last mil.

Tighten the set screws and see if you can come down the full travel now

Reactions: Krob95