• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

School me on the Barrett M98B...

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    There's an M98B in .338 LM for sale locally; price is about the same as new Ruger or Savage which seems stupid low so I'm looking for some info/feedback on this model?

Has a 20" barrel...this has gotta be a killer for velocity, but to what extent? Is 1500 yards (or more) realistic with this barrel length?
    Re-barreling? Price point is such that I can buy a quality blank and re-barrel- but no knowledge of Barrett's system here. Anything out of the ordinary (as compared to rebarreling say, a 700 or clone)? Barrel is advertised as good (will borescope before purchase if it gets that far), but if I were to choose to rebarrel for added length (or if it doesn't scope satisfactorily)...

Additional comments on general accuracy, handling, upsides/downsides would be appreciated. Trying to determine if I should go check this out.
    Use is long range target for my son, his last "free" summer before he heads out with the USAF next year...

Rebarreling won't be cheap due to the way the barrel installs. If you search you should find a post where I put pictures on here. There is a barrel extension and then about a foot from the chamber is threads where a barrel nut attaches it to the rifle. I think I was quoted almost 1100 for a rebarrel so I sold the rifle.

While there are use cases for the short barreled .338LM and larger calibers. (Such as if you want to be able to deliver a large amount of impact energy on a harder target at very close ranges, much like the big bore close range hunting rifles).

In most cases I'd suggest that if you are actually needing to go to the .338LM or larger then you probably actually want it to be able to stretch it's legs and be useful at a distance, specifically if this is going to be for target shooting (which I'm guessing most of the people on here buying a .338LM or similar rifle will be doing). So while a 20" barrel will work, you will be giving up a lot of extended range capability over someone pushing a 27" or longer barrel.

If you are planning on target shooting at 1500 yards + and going to try to push it further (which is what it sounds like you are going to do), then you'd have an easier time of it with a standard 27 inch + barrels for the added velocity which makes a difference as you get past the 1500 range and into the mile + range.

Barrett has completely discontinued any support for the 98B series. I had one and wanted to rebarrel it. I could not find anyone that would volunteer to try to do it. Barrett would not sell a special tool needed for the job. I live an hour from Barrett. I called them and asked them if they would simply remove my factory barrel if I brought it to them and I would do the rest. They told me they would not and would not even be able to repair anything either. I sold mine.

If “ruger or savage” prices (brings to mind $1000 and under range), it is probably a good deal if the barrel is not worn. If you are OK with the barrel length and end up shooting the .338 as much as most who own them do, you’ll never burn it out.

Otherwise, the MRAD is the currently evolution of that product line and an excellent firearm that offers you significant improvements and modularity over the 98B.

I though long and hard before the recent purchase of my 98b. I knew that Barrett had stopped production and support and weighed it against the price I paid ($2100 brand new) and the likelihood I'd need to rebarell (low due to it being 308). If it had been in 6.5, 300 win, 338, etc., I would not have made the same purchase. The rifle I picked up serves a specific purposes and I'm not worried about burning the barrel out.

I still plan on picking up an AIAT in 6.5. Maybe down the roads I'll pick up a 300win/338 MRAD, but I'm less than thrilled on the quick and complete dumping of the 98b lineup and their unwillingness to help current owners. Unfortunately Barrett really could care less about its civilian buyers.... it's all about their mil contracts and sales.