Rifle Scopes Scope choice for AR-15

skeeter355

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Currently have a 3x9 Mil-dot on my truck gun and considering a quicker close range optic with precision capability. Options I am looking at are an ACOG, EOTech with magnifier or a SS 1-4HD scope. Seeing if anyone is running with one of these setups and the pluses/minuses they see.

Re: Scope choice for AR-15

Take a look at the Trijicon TR24G. It does everything good. Like a ACOG, but has the true 1X for up close. The reticule has true daylight illumination and no batteries. My favorite AR scope by far.

I have both the EOTech w/ magnifier and the SS 1-4. I like the EOTech better for fast work such as 3 gun. The SS 1-4 can be fast on the 1x but adds weight and is not as fast as the EOTech, but it is a champ if you need to engage targets out to 300m.

I added a SS 1-4 "donut" reticle to my lineup and have to say it's the nicest optic I've used to date (period). I currently have it mounted in a Bobro mount but, if I were doing it again, the only change I would make would be to stick with LaRue because don't like that I need a short-necked allen wrench with the Bobro.

Right now, I'm also running an Aimpoint H1 and BN 6500 2.5-16 but, to me, the SS 1-4 is the perfect compliment to the 5.56 and, if I had to keep only one optic, I'd go with the 1-4 in a second. It's incredibly versatile, the glass is incredible and it's built like a tank to boot.

It's more $$ that the Vortex but it's worth every penny IME.....good luck!!
P1020603.jpg

I'm a fan of the Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4 also. Works great up close, and is plenty clear/accurate for the chances I get to shoot 300yds. I've shot it in a couple of 2day carbine classes, and a few comps, and have been very pleased with the outcomes. Once before a tactical comp, my little girl gave the sling a tug, and the rifle fell from 4ft to land on the top turret. It was checked prior to the match, and had held zero.

Cell phone pic of said rifle/optic
6066911373_88c68bc4d4_z.jpg

Interesting about the Trijicon. I eventually would like to add a PVS-14. Of all is the EOTech the only one that can work with a PVS-14 in front (between scope and shooter)?

I know this is not a choice that is listed but I would give serious thought to the US Optics SN4 1.5-6 with the C2 reticle. I used this scope at RM3G for my first 3gun match and used it doing holdovers only - this is not a normal thing for me I dial at all precision rifle matches. The 1.5 with both eyes open is very comfortable for me and the 6 power allowed me to hit the IPSC target at 500+, and during a break between one of the stages to hit a metal dear at 625. For someone that is used to MILs this scope is straight forward as it is broken down into full MILs just remember that each line is a MIL and the end of the cross hair is a MIL and you are ready to rock.

I'll second the SN-4. Easy to pick up target at 1.5. 6X and with EREK can take you out to 600. The build is typical USO. For me the JNG worked the best, illuminated reticle is very easy to pick up, even in relatively bright light. Latest model has press on/off button, slick. Cost is $1700. Are they worth it, you bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nebraska</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I added a SS 1-4 "donut" reticle to my lineup and have to say it's the nicest optic I've used to date (period).

It's more $$ that the Vortex but it's worth every penny</div></div>
For just $200 more you could step up to a (demo unit) Zeiss Victory Varipoint.

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-11-4x24-Varipoint-VMV-T-DEMO-B-P282.aspx

The Trijicon TR24 are great 1-4x scopes for the price and they are well made. They do not have an exposed turret but for a lot of AR shooters this is not a big issue. The Vortex PST are very nice an I really like the RET they have they are very fast on the low power even without a daytime bright dot.

Mike @ CST

I just put a Vortex PST 1-4 on a Noveske N4 and I am enjoying it. The goal was to go Recce style and it works well for that. For lots of up close shooting its not the best, but really starts to shine 50 yards and more back. It does add a fair bit of weight. Another favorite set up is the T1 with a 3x.

I'm gonna throw a weird wildcard out there. I put a Zeiss Conquest on mine. Great, clear optics and good for lowlight conditions. Pound for pound, a very good scope for the price.

Waiting on a Good 1-6 to put on mine., The swaro 1-6 seems like it would fit the bill, but I hear that a few companies are going to be submitting optics for a Squad Common Optic, contract for the military.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sample list has a Vortex Razor 1-4 up for $999</div></div>
If you ever want to look through a Razor and Victory Varipoint side-by-side, let me know! I haven't seen through the Razor yet but I have a 1.1-4x Varipoint on my 300BLK.

DSC_1820.JPG

^^ I have always loved Zeiss and hunted with a Conquest. The issue I have with the VariPoint is it is a dot only (or a crosshair with dot) and 2nd FP.

With the SS, Razor and the holy S&B Short Dot you still have either a Mil Scale or BDC reticule for longer shots at 4X and it acts like an Aimpoint on 1X.

But you are more than welcome to check out the Razor sometime. I'm in Grapevine.

For me it doesn't matter since this isn't a long range scope, or tactical for that matter. I do have to admit it's going to be moved to a larger caliber bolt action for large game hunting at some point. 300BLK isn't exactly a bear killer...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ACOG NSN model for me,has the center illum CH reticle which is good for accuracy,but still very fast on closer range targets.Very durable and compact,been on my truck/coyote gun for 6-7yrs with no problems ever. </div></div>

I have used NF NXS 1-4x24, ACOG TA31F, Aimpoint, EoTech on on various AR 15's I own and much prefer the NF 1-4X24 with the FC2 reticle with the ACOG 2nd.

If the ACOG works for you it sure is an excellent choice.
IF you are serious about the PVS-14, (it is a lot of money), Aimpoint/Eotech and 3X magnifier day, mono night (with without mil-spec 3X), works great and is passive.
With IR laser you can head mount and run any optic unless you need passive.
Hate having to relocate magnified optics to mount PVS-14, never secure feelings about zero even after working it all out. Dedicated NV optic or clip on is the only way to go, unless RDS primary on weapon, such as my 10.5" LMT MRP suppressed SBR.

So many choices. Many fine suggestions here.

One other option for less money.

A friend of my put a Leupold fixed 2.5 power with a HEAVY duplex reticle on his.

A simple and effective choice.

(I am running an Aimpoint H1)

BMT

I use an ACOG TA11 it is the slightly larger model with 3.5x zoom. The benefit is very flexible eyebox for different viewing angles and a ton of eye relief. Downside is the price.

A quicker close range optic with precision capability...

Well; the EOTech has the 1 minute dot in the center and it's definitely fast. Through a 3x mag behind it and you would have a little help beyond 100.

Leupold 1.5-5x20 with the SPR reticle is what I have, and I love it. Bought a Konus red-dot and put it on a 45 deg mount for close targets; the scope is for anything past 100.

I've been running an Eotech on my M4 for a while, but I wanted something with a little magnification, so I ordered an SS 1-4x24 a couple days ago.

The real decision I need to make is that i'll have an extra optic soon, and I could sell the Eotech to help pay for the new scope, or get another rifle to mount to the Eotech...!

I own a AGOG TA01-NSN that I enjoy shooting. I have shot it out to 450 yards but the compensator was a little off. Not enough to concern me though. It's calibrated for the M16A4 shooting a 62gr bullet at 2700fps. I haven't been able to push 69gr SMK's up to that speed out of my 16". That being said I haven't had problems out to 300 yards. I think it could be sighted in a little higher at 100 yards to fix the compensation issue but like I said, I'm not really that concerned. It's short and light(9.9oz) plus it has a post and peep for short range built onto the top of the scope and the tritium is automatic in lowlight situations. Mine came with the picatinny adapter with thumb screws but I can't find the weight spec. I would like to have a throw lever adapter.

I haven't used the SS 1-4 but if it's anything like their 3-9 or 5-20 it should be solid. It weighs 17.4oz plus the Brobo mount(7.5oz) so if weight is a concern and you don't mind not having variable power the ACOG may be the way to go.

I have owned an Eotech 552 and wish I hadn't sold it. It was great for it's intended purpose which in my opinion is 300 yards and less. I did not use it with the magnifier though. The 552 weighs 10.9oz plus the magnifier (11.9oz) so again if weight is a concern and not having variable power the ACOG might be the way to go.

I have mounted my ACOG with my PVS-14. It didn't work mounting it forward of the ACOG. The image came out fuzzy. I mounted it behind the ACOG(ACOG on forearm) and the worked but I haven't shot it that way though due to the fact I do not have a place to shoot in the dark (that is close). Supposedly the tritium does not glow in the light range that would harm the night vision. Due to this conversation I'm going to try mounting it forward of the AGOG but if I recall it would not focus correctly. It will be dark in an hour or two. I'll post my findings. The Eotech worked but it was like looking through a tunnel.

Update: PVS-14 focuses correctly forward of my ACOG. At least out to 50-75 yards. I must not have been using the front focus ring on the unit when I initially mounted the two together.