• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope recommendations for PRS < $1000

adaptive

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

Can you please recommend the best PRS scope I can get < $1000. I have 500 yard training coming up Aug10 and I need to prepare. Please be specific with the model and brand. I am a noob here.

Thanks!

Reactions: NEC012
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Thanks @gr8fuldoug for the help, I forgot to mention, I am located in Canada 🇨🇦
We can discuss what would be best for you and then you can hook up with my buddy Robbie, or you can reach out to him and tell him I suggested it

Robbie Stewart​

Shooting Warehouse Sport Optics
mobilePhone
(1) 403-430-1166
emailAddress
[email protected]
website
www.shootingwarehouse.com

Take a look at a Athlon Ares ETR 4.5x30
Great glass, reticle and turrets for the money. They pop up on here used for 800ish. Used Bushnells are another options.

Reactions: adaptive
The difference in price between

ATHLON ARES ETR 4.5-30X56 and Vortex Viper HD 5-25x50mm in Canada is $70. Athlon being more expensive.​

Which of these is better?
Vortex… Better warranty, too. And unlike Athlon, the new Viper HD is built in the Philippines, with Japanese glass. People have been saying the glass in the Viper HD is on par with the older Razor Gen2 scopes. I have the same scope I linked you to, but have not looked through it outside yet. I also have a new Razor Gen3 6-36, that I can compare it directly to. If you want, I can try to setup and take some pics through them both, and see if it does the glass any justice?

Reactions: BCP and adaptive
The difference in price between

ATHLON ARES ETR 4.5-30X56 and Vortex Viper HD 5-25x50mm in Canada is $70. Athlon being more expensive.​

Which of these is better?
Both are fine, and both have their bonuses (as @FuhQ stated Vortex has a significantly better warranty).

I would add in here though, that the Ares is a 56 objective, compared to the Vortex with a 50, as well as the Ares is a 34mm tube. The larger the objective, the better your exit pupil will be. The better your exit pupil is, the better your eyebox will be. In match shooting, especially disciplines that require a lot of varying positional shooting, you'll find that the more forgiving eyebox is, the happier you will be, especially starting out.

Whatever you wind up with, make sure you get it in mils. Don't get an MOA scope. You can certainly make an MOA scope work, and I've competed with both just fine, but mils will certainly make remembering/recalling your dials significantly easier. Shooting out to something as simple as 600 yards, my MOA dial is 4 figures (or 3 if you are using shorthand) that I have to remember, vs 2 digits for an MRAD.

Last edited:
Vortex… Better warranty, too. And unlike Athlon, the new Viper HD is built in the Philippines, with Japanese glass. People have been saying the glass in the Viper HD is on par with the older Razor Gen2 scopes. I have the same scope I linked you to, but have not looked through it outside yet. I also have a new Razor Gen3 6-36, that I can compare it directly to. If you want, I can try to setup and take some pics through them both, and see if it does the glass any justice?
I would love to see that and I am sure other will do as well. Thanks!

Reactions: D0ntTr3@d0nM3
Both are fine, and both have their bonuses (as @FuhQ stated Vortex has a significantly better warranty).

I would add in here though, that the Ares is a 56 objective, compared to the Vortex with a 50, as well as the Ares is a 34mm tube. The larger the objective, the better your exit pupil will be. The better your exit pupil is, the better your eyebox will be. In match shooting, especially disciplines that require a lot of varying positional shooting, you'll find that the more forgiving eyebox is, the happier you will be, especially starting out.

Whatever you wind up with, make sure you get it in mils. Don't get an MOA scope. You can certainly make an MOA scope work, and I've competed with both just fine, but mils will certainly make remembering/recalling your dials significantly easier. Shooting out to something as simple as 600 yards, my MOA dial is 4 figures (or 3 if you are using shorthand) that I have to remember, vs 2 digits for an MRAD.
Thank you for your feedback. I didn’t know that a 34mm can give you this much of an advantage of 30mm. I will make sure to get Mil not MOA.

Thank you for your feedback. I didn’t know that a 34mm can give you this much of an advantage of 30mm. I will make sure to get Mil not MOA.
It doesn’t… I own lots of 30 and 34mm scopes, 50 & 56mm… Good glass and a well designed scope makes a much bigger difference than those 2 factors.

The main advantage to a 34mm over a 30mm is the amount of travel adjustment. Typically 34mm scopes have a little more adjustment over 30mm scopes, but this can also be offset by using higher MOA bases, allowing you to zero closer to the top of the adjustment range, giving you much more down travel, allowing you to retain as much adjustment as possible in a 30mm.

It doesn’t… I own lots of 30 and 34mm scopes, 50 & 56mm… Good glass and a well designed scope makes a much bigger difference than those 2 factors.

The main advantage to a 34mm over a 30mm is the amount of travel adjustment. Typically 34mm scopes have a little more adjustment over 30mm scopes, but this can also be offset by using higher MOA bases, allowing you to zero closer to the top of the adjustment range, giving you much more down travel, allowing you to retain as much adjustment as possible in a 30mm.

To solve for aperture, you take the the focal length and divide it by the lens diameter (or in the case of rifle optics vernacular, the "objective lens"). The bigger the objective, the lower the aperture number will be for a given focal length. The lower the aperture number is, the better photon transmission you will receive.

To put this in human lingo, at 25x, your light transmission will always be better with a larger objective than with a smaller objective. In reality, it's much more complex than that, but this is roughly as simple as it can get.

I've competed and done fine with all different types of tubes, but when it comes to spending my own money, I'm getting the larger objective 10 times out of 10.

I don't know what your used market is like up there in Canuckistan but here we can usually find Bushnell HDMR for well under 1k USD and they are very solid.
lol nice one. I can't wait for Mr. T to leave.

I did find one for sale, here are the details. He is asking about $1000USD for it.

1719606708016.png

Its $1,425 Canadian, which translates into $1000USD. But I noticed it is not even illuminated, so that is a no no.

Illum isn't as big of a deal as you might think. Illum comes in handy hunting at weird hours or odd lighting conditions, but I very rarely use it in a match. This entire season I've been using a non-illuminated MK5, and it's been fine. I would, however, absolutely agree with not spending four figures on a Bushnell.

A friend has the Vortex Strike Eagle. Nice scope.
I have the Bushnell MatchPro ED 5-30x56 but it's now $750
Also have the MatchPro 6-24x50 $400. I like this one.
I've seen the Arkens, they have two that will fit into your budget. I'm considering one of these for a new build.

I would love to see that and I am sure other will do as well. Thanks!
I would like to see this comparison as well.

Just to clarify, the bottom screws are 30in/lb and the top screws at 18in/lb?

You got it!

Follow the specs in the manual, each set of rings is slightly different, but all are the same in regards to - the bottom to the rifle are always more than the top to the scope.