• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SDN-6 vs Ranger 7 upgrade

Eric32

USAF
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Aug 14, 2011
    Tennessee
    So I am debating on sending my AAC SDN-6 it (already has a Q Plan B mount by ECCO and a JP silent capture spring the heaviest one they have) sits on my SPR16” rifle to AAC to convert it into a Ranger 7. The cost is 700$ so not bad but it’s a full rebuild and a threaded end cap so I might be able to get a suppressor brake for it later on maybe.

My reason for the upgrade is the following

1. Gas blowback on the SDN 6 is pretty bad. It’s pretty substantial and it cakes the ammo inside the magazine

2. Ranger 7 has less back pressure supposedly.

3. Threaded end cap for a possible anchor style brake in the future. To further reduce the blowback.

Option 2

Is adding an adjustable gas block the cheapest and best solution, if so which one works with the best as far as adjustments?

Thanks guy for not giving any decent advice in the semi-auto section, guy.
    Decent advice… Expect your brass to be dirty as fuck, regardless of the suppressor you use. “Clean brass” from suppressed use will still be dirty as fuck when compared to brass from an unsuppressed gun. If your 1.) concern is dirty brass, expect to be disappointed with your $700 investment. Spend the money on a bolt action rifle…

• Haha
    Reactions: Eric32
    I did the same upgrade. I also had the ECCO jailbreak. Maybe the SDN6 was a bit quieter, but it also weighed 22oz after the Jailbreak. The new Ranger 7 weighs 17 with a Rearden atlas. It went from a can I never used can to one that is shorter and lighter than I run on my 11.5. and also runs fine on my ar10.

If you have the extra cash, I would highly recommend it. How often do you get to upgrade an NFA item to the next-gen of a product?

Reactions: 91Eunozs and Eric32
    I have an Ecco converted SDN6 I’ve been considering sending in for a ranger 7 conversion. How’s the sound differ between the two after converting?

Reactions: Tex68w
    A couple threads here discussing this; consensus is yes…do it.

I did it on my SD, and very happy with the result. Haven’t seen the need to also convert my lighter SDN6 that’s already had the Ecco Machine conversion, but it’d be an upgrade for sure.

Really like the ‘tone’ of the Ranger 7 can vs the old AAC design too… Not necessarily quieter, but a much more pleasing sound. Very obvious when shooting them back-to-back with the same gun and ammo.

Reactions: Eric32 and Docsherm
    So they are super backed up right now with ordering baffles. So I am gonna toss in a VMOS BCG from JP to slow down some of the gasses and then when they are caught up get a Ranger 7

Reactions: Tex68w
    So they are super backed up right now with ordering baffles. So I am gonna toss in a VMOS BCG from JP to slow down some of the gasses and then when they are caught up get a Ranger 7

I recently added a JP FMOS BCG to my 18" and it slowed it down some but I didn't have any complaints with the SA BCG and carbine buffer I was running before that. I too have an Ecco converted SDN-6 that I am running on my 6ARC and I love it. I might send it off to AAC for the Ranger treatment in time, but I am in no rush.

Reactions: Eric32