Secret Service “JAR” rifle

I don't get why so many different magnum calibers in 30cal... 300WM, 300 Norma and 300PRC? Pretty much all do the same thing.

I can see to some extent a multi caliber gun... 308win, 6.5CM and pick one magnum round.

If deploying in two man teams... why not have a guy with a dedicated say short/mid range rifle in 308win or a 6.5CM and the other guy with a dedicated long range gun a 300 mag?

What I see offhand... the main gun builder/armorer is retiring anytime now. So they want a plug and play system is what I'm reading into. By a modular rifle and just get a replacement barrel from the gun manufacturer.

So what happens when there is an issue with the rifle? You have to send it back to the manufacturer to diagnose it? Look what's happening to the USMC Scout Snipers... the 12's (gunsmiths) are basically done and it sounds like will drop back to being just a basic armorer. I think we are losing a lot of skill sets that if needed down the road sometime in the future will not get replaced/back up and running in a short time period.

I'd say no to a 6mm caliber gun. Sorry but in my opinion just to light of a caliber for anti people round (but it's a better choice than a 5.56 caliber gun) and if the wind is blowing to some extent... the 6.5 will give you an edge over the 6mm.

Just my random thoughts.

Later, Frank
The 6mm failed in our tests for exactly as you say. It's a good performer for range and accuracy, but it didn't manage to dump it's energy on target very convincingly. The problem in our (amateur) test with the ballistic gel is that the 6mm carts had too high of a sectional density and had a proclivity to just clean punch through the gel.

Range and accuracy almost directly mimicked 140gr bullets in the same class, but the 6.5s had more destructive effects on the gel.

We didn't gob off too much about it as drive for the 6mm ARC class of carts in the comp world as well as, it looks, for the military meant that everyone is in love with 6mm, but 6.5 Creedmoor is just better in all respects for the application of force onto a threat.

Also, an observation.... seeing as we are going down this path.... but 147gr ELD-M. Applied Ballistics hates them. We expected poor performance but the 147s were not only consistent (OAL, Dimensions etc etc, not BC as we don't have the means to measure), but performed super well. Like, super super well. Our 16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor with the 147s is up there with the rest of carts in capability.

Here's some of our data for the different guns we tested. Man, 147s are good to go.
1721773132679.png

Last edited:
The 6mm failed in our tests for exactly as you say. It's a good performer for range and accuracy, but it didn't manage to dump it's energy on target very convincingly. The problem in our (amateur) test with the ballistic gel is that the 6mm carts had too high of a sectional density and had a proclivity to just clean punch through the gel.

Range and accuracy almost directly mimicked 140gr bullets in the same class, but the 6.5s had more destructive effects on the gel.

We didn't gob off too much about it as drive for the 6mm ARC class of carts in the comp world as well as, it looks, for the military meant that everyone is in love with 6mm, but 6.5 Creedmoor is just better in all respects for the application of force onto a threat.

Also, an observation.... seeing as we are going down this path.... but 147gr ELD-M. Applied Ballistics hates them. We expected poor performance but the 147s were not only consistent (OAL, Dimensions etc etc, not BC as we don't have the means to measure), but performed super well. Like, super super well. Our 16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor with the 147s is up there with the rest of carts in capability.

Here's some of our data for the different guns we tested. Man, 147s are good to go.View attachment 8464946
Were on the same page!

The Gov't test on the 6.5's I mentioned... the 140 and 147 Hornadys shot just as good as anything else. Nothing in that test ran away from anything else.

Reactions: Zigjib