• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shooting in front of my house...

Re: Shooting in front of my house...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tough talk in here is killing me. I'm not trying to put down anyones plans, plans are good, but it's easy to "talk" of killing someone, it's totally different to chamber that round knowing that you may end someones life. You can think about it, or even train for it (somehow, I haven't figured out how to yet), but everything goes out the door when it becomes real.</div></div>

I guess you don't really know what kind of experience many of us here have. Whole lot of active duty, former mil, contractors, and LEO. Not that one needs <span style="font-style: italic">any </span>kind of experience to drop a hammer on someone intent on doing one's family harm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The tough talk in here is killing me. I'm not trying to put down anyones plans, plans are good, but it's easy to "talk" of killing someone, it's totally different to chamber that round knowing that you may end someones life. You can think about it, or even train for it (somehow, I haven't figured out how to yet), but everything goes out the door when it becomes real. </div></div>

The world is full of a lot of sheep, a good many wolves and a few sheep dogs. There are all three in LE, military and civilian circles. I would say there are a good many sheep dogs on the Hide.

At night my Wilson CQB is within reach (also, wife has her Model 60 S&W close by).

We keep a short-barreled 12ga (with 00 buck) near.

Not in CA.

Not concerned with "over penetration" if SHTF.

My brother retired as a SEAL and taught CQB with and without weapons. They also gave training to family and friends. He told me a revolver would be a great choice: simple, totally reliable, intuitive to use and operate by anyone. I have a 357 revolver but put Speer 38 Special ammo in it for home defense.

I have read this whole thread and I feel like I can add one thing to this discussion.Someone said earlier that alot of members were talking tough and really would not be able to take a life if it came to it. While no human being should look forward to taking a human life,you would be surprised what someone is capable of when his family or everything he has worked for all his life is in danger.When Hurricane Katrina came ashore I lived in Slidell LA, (North side of Lake Ponchatrain) 30 miles from New Orleans. We lived right on the Rigolets,a body of water connecting Lake Ponchatrain and Lake Borgne.I sent my wife and daughter(one years old at the time) to stay with my parents in Mississippi(Much farther inland.)I stayed behind with a neighbor to hopefully keep our home,boats personal items, etc. from being looted after the storm.I had ridden out many storms in that house over the years and never had any more than light wind damage and water in the first story of our house. Needless to say Katrina was alot different. We had a 21 foot storm surge that gutted our three story home and the neighbor and I spent a horrifying 8 hours in the attic of our home praying that we survived.That was the beginning of all our problems.We were cut off from emergency services for over 3 days, yet the thugs,looters,and general trash arrived only hours after the storm passed.I watched pieces of shit in boats carry away neighbors belongings as they worked their way to what little was left of our home,boats,and other items. You would be surprised how easy it truly is to pull that trigger when people are trying to take the only things you have left in this world and you know they would slit your throat if you get in their way.

SIG P226 w/night sights with 15+1 and a spare 15 RD mag and my Surefire combat light in the holder with my spare mag. Speer 124 gr Gold Dot HP +P. I keep it on the nightstand and don't have kids. The rest of my stuff is in the safe.

Touchy subject regarding what is best...shotgun, rifle, pistol, caliber, etc.

What I believe is most important is train, train, train with whatever you are going to fight with and train like you fight!

This in my mind should include low light (read dark), off hand, and flashlight plus weapon training.

Glad to hear you and your family came out of it safely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Branden,
I'm in exactly the same boat.I can't even get my wife to go to the range to learn how to shoot. Also stubborn, she insists it's "not her thing". We live 1 town away from Cheshire Ct, where 2 men broke into a doctor's house and killed his wife and kids and then set the house on fire. I don't understand how you can hear a story like that and still not want to take some responsibility for your own safety.
It just bothers the shit out of me that with all the guns in our house, if someone broke in when I wasn't home, she would be unarmed. That's like having a state of the art alarm system and not learning how to set it.
If you figure out a way to get through to your wife, please let me know how you did it.</div></div>

The trick is to find the wife of one of your friends who shoots. Invite them over for dinner, prep her, and let her bring up the topic. If your wife is completely anti-gun, then you may want her to get to know your friend's wife better, before bringing up the topic. My wife was very anti-gun before, and changed her mind with this tactic by speaking with a prior-army wife (both her and her husband were in military).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The trick is to find the wife of one of your friends who shoots. Invite them over for dinner, prep her, and let her bring up the topic. If your wife is completely anti-gun, then you may want her to get to know your friend's wife better, before bringing up the topic. My wife was very anti-gun before, and changed her mind with this tactic by speaking with a prior-army wife (both her and her husband were in military). </div></div>

Well, my wife isn't anti-gun, she understands they have their place, and she's not completely terrified of them. I've received the go-ahead to buy a pistol, however she's not keen on going with me to check them out. I may drag her out on Saturday to handle some while I manage the girls. I really want her to work with the shotgun as i'd like to keep it handy as a secondary weapon to the pistol. Problem is that i'm having a hard time finding reduced recoil buckshot in this area. I don't want her firing full house loads and I think they'll make her fears worse.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The trick is to find the wife of one of your friends who shoots. Invite them over for dinner, prep her, and let her bring up the topic. If your wife is completely anti-gun, then you may want her to get to know your friend's wife better, before bringing up the topic. My wife was very anti-gun before, and changed her mind with this tactic by speaking with a prior-army wife (both her and her husband were in military). </div></div>

Well, my wife isn't anti-gun, she understands they have their place, and she's not completely terrified of them. I've received the go-ahead to buy a pistol, however she's not keen on going with me to check them out. I may drag her out on Saturday to handle some while I manage the girls. I really want her to work with the shotgun as i'd like to keep it handy as a secondary weapon to the pistol. Problem is that i'm having a hard time finding reduced recoil buckshot in this area. I don't want her firing full house loads and I think they'll make her fears worse.

Branden </div></div>

Your wife is a perfect candidate for a revolver. point and shoot. Get her a 38special and use the Speer ammo that the NYC cops use in their back-up revolver. Force her to go to the range once just to see how easy it is to shoot and you are done. Don't get a snub nose because they kick a lot more: you are trying to make it easy for her. Get at least a 4" barrel. My wife loves the 6" barrel because it lacks kick and is easy to aim.

She's already commented in the past of the "ugliness" of a revolver, and an auto is about all there is.

My wife's unfortunately smarter than I am, and i'm not exactly dumb. My first pistol was bought in a private sale by me (Ruger P90 .45), and I brought it home, and went to work. My wife came home from school, picked it up, played around with it for a few minutes to figure it out, and went to the range. She shot it before I did. She knows how to handle an auto, I had them around for years, and she knows how to load, and shoot, but it's not something that she does regularly anymore, at least not since we had our daughters. I myself like the simplicity of the revolver, but don't care for the limited capacity, and they are slow to reload (speed loaders are bulky).

I'm already talked to her about going to the store with me on Saturday, and she said ok, however in typical fashion that will possibly change at the last minute. Being i've been working a lot, we have to pack a lot of things into the one day that we are both together all day, and there is a 2-3hr window right in the middle of the day that we have to be home for the mid-day naptime. That's when I usually go to the range.

We'll see if I come home with something, she's been telling me all day to go and get something, doesn't seem that she cares what I get, she'll "just learn to shoot it".

Either way, maybe she'll let me get some pictures to document the occasion. With all this overtime that i'm getting, and a new incentive program that starts next week that ensures me a $2/hr raise minimum, I can get that hot pink cricket for my oldest daughter that she keeps eyeing at Wal-mart as well!

Branden

For those with wives/SOs that are not into guns you have to ask yourself if pushing them would really help. Would they really have it in them to take a life?

Certainly a good idea to go to the range and be more comfortable with having guns around, but not all people have the mind set to take a life even under extreme pressure.

I keep a cheap 'ol Mossberg shorty 12 ga for home protection, loaded with those Low Recoil/ Low Noise shells.

They don't kick very hard nor have a lot of penetration. I like them for two reasons...

1: I have a house full of kids, and don't want to worry about bullets flying through walls.

2: They don't intimidate my wife

I'm not looking to cut an intruder in half, merely stop his advancement in whatever goals he's trying to achieve in my home. I'm willing to bet, a hit from one of these will do the job.

I keep my G22 / 2 mags and a flash light bedside, other side of the night stand by the wall a 12ga. Mossy(20in. ext.mag.) w/ #4 turkey loads and 3 00 buck 2 slugs in side saddle, under the bed my Mini w/ 20rd. mag. Maybe overkill, but I don't think so. And the good thing too, is my wife can, has, and does shoot ALL of my weapons. And all w/ the ammo they are loaded with. She knows what to expect from all of them, and how they perform. No worries of leaving her at home if I have to respond during a Hurricane call out, or any other emergency situation.

I have a 1911 between the matress boxsprings and my wife has a Glock 27 in between on her side, also I have a Moss 500 beside the bed post ready to deploy depending on the situation... everyone no matter what language they speak understands when a shotgun chambers a round. We don't have kids yet so we are able to have firearms accessbile without safety concerns.
One issue to consider is the civil suits that may arise if you ever have to use your firearm, a tricked out AR15 might appear to a jury a little different then a more normal home defense weapon like a shotgun or handgun.

My girlfriend asked if we really needed an ar15 next to our bed.

I replied well you have your shotgun and your xd!

arbedside.jpg