• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shooting the 6mm ARC through a 5.56 can?

wyattgtx

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2024
Texas
Has anybody tried to run 6ARC through their 5.56 can? I’ve noticed the end cap and baffle diameter is large enough for the bullet to freely pass through, and the 6ARC fires with less pressure then the 5.56. So in theory, I feel like it is safe to run it in just to scared to be the first one to try, but I have a a feeling someone in here has done it at some point🤣

• Sad
Reactions: oldrifleman
Oh boy...
Not a good or bad idea, IF you do your diligence and research! Some cans MAY have the necessary clearance.

Honest suggestion... take the rifle and can to a good reputable builder and have them check it. If there's ANY doubt don't do it. Even if no doubt probably don't do it.

We all assume the risk for our decisions even with the input of others.

or just buy a can that is advertised as a 6mm can. I know there's a lot of DA hate but the new Lazarus 6 is rated to 6mm. Would be good for an ARC or MAX round if you wanted to go in that direction. Seems a few others are offering a 6mm can that would work fine in 5.56 and 6mm.

I suppose it’s possible with a 5.56mm SBR silencer - I think Surefire used to make them - but I personally wouldn’t dare.

Better to grab the 7.62x51mm silencer - none of them are really quiet, anyway…

Last edited:
They’re usually made with something like >40-70k clearance for a reason.

The Surefire .223 SBs are .330 @ the last baffle and something like .290 at the first. 6mm is still ill-advised, particularly for someone running it on a shorter barrel or shooting subs (guessing you’re doing neither w/ 6arc)

Has anybody tried to run 6ARC through their 5.56 can? I’ve noticed the end cap and baffle diameter is large enough for the bullet to freely pass through, and the 6ARC fires with less pressure then the 5.56. So in theory, I feel like it is safe to run it in just to scared to be the first one to try, but I have a a feeling someone in here has done it at some point🤣
You can shoot a 6 ARC through the Otter Creek Labs Polonium 5.56 suppressors... Because they were purposely made to be able to do so.

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 3.31.50 PM.png

Reactions: strikeeagle1
I have seen people do it...but these people are barrel making wizards, have FFLs and SOTs, and can fix most things they break themselves. @unclemoak might have some insight.

I would encourage your average user to call the manufacturer and do what they recommend.