• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Should I Cerakote my scope?

KenLondregan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2018
Woodbridge NJ
I am getting my new hunting rifle cerakoted (baked) in a kryptek highlander pattern. I am considering getting the scope (Schmidt and Bender Polar) cerakoted (none bake) to match. What are your thoughts? Will it void the warranty? Will it significantly decrease the scopes value if I decide to resell it? Is getting the scope camo'ed overkill?

I would not do it, Kryptek is cool but not sure if its 10 years cool. If you want camo, then look at some "gun skins" at least you can rip them off if you dont like it.

EDIT:

Point im making is Kryptek is cool, however it may not be cool down the line. You can always swap stocks or paint over. If you blemish a stock its really no big deal, but if you blemish a scope body thats a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig
Thanks for the response. Now you have me second guessing my rifle camo choice. I was between the kryptek highlander and multicam. This will be going on a 300 win mag petra. It will be used as a hog hammer short term. Long term I have a bucket list bison hunt in mind.

I have heard alot of upside about the job kryptek does in breaking up lines, and blending better with your environment.

I like it over multicam (which I have always thought was very poor “camouflage”)...especially if you’re hiding in a snake pit. Get what you think looks kewl. Neither the hogs nor the buffs are likely to know or care. It’s unlikely success or failure will ever hinge on that.

I’ve had some scopes painted in the past but have gone with keeping them black or a factory fde now. I like the way it looks better and as I was working my way up to good gear I was killing my resale.

I like Kryptek though. Invested into some of their hunting gear this past year with the highlander pattern. Worked great.

I would just leave it as others state, and wrap it in some camo tape. 2 months from now you may be changing your mind and want it another color. I bought a few suppressors in FDE and within 2 months I wish I just went black. And I could have used a mirage cover in a camo color if I wanted to change it up.

I thought there was a company selling a scope already in kryptek highlander but it was only a Nikko Stirling 4-16x44mm Scope in a package deal with a Howa. Not a scope I would recommend to anybody, but I thought you could at least check out the look to see if that is what you are looking at. I would also recommend gunskins and save the resale value of the scope.

I greatly appreciate all the time, advice, and feedback. I have no intention in voiding the warranty of a $2,000 scope. I'll just go ahead with the camo tape suggestion. I just reached out to the guy who will be cerakoting my rifle and bipod, and told him he can go ahead without the scope and rings.

He's going to hopefully cerakote my rifle next week. I'm still liking the idea of going with the kryptek Highlander on the rifle. I've seen a few pictures of similar rifles done, and they look pretty good. I agree with a previous post that camo won't make or break you on a hunt, but it sure couldn't hurt either.

I would only do it on sub 1k scopes and I would use normal camo spray, S&B have Coyote/Sand or Dark Earth coloured scopes in their line up as it is. so you can buy a factory painted scope.

I emailed S&B, the polar scopes only come in black. Looks like I will be going with a gunskin, or tape wrap.
That's a shame aye, You would have thought that with their prices that they would of had a colour option, Not to worry,

When you get the skin thing sorted don't forget to let us see the pictures, (y)

good luck.

John.

camoflauging a rifle is for the hunter not the game. I have hunted geese and ducks which have sharper eyes than deer with blued and wood shotguns and never had a problem. I have killed many deer with a rifle that has a stainless barrel. Stay still and you are “camaflauged”. If you like the look go for it. The deer won’t mind either way. Painting or dipping the scope will hurt resale. Make sure you don’t plan on selling then paint away.