• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Shout out to Berger Bullets!

Grog11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
Anthem, Arizona
Just wanted to give a positive shout out to Berger Bullets! I found a cert for a free box of bullets in my safe that was expired by at least a couple of years, so I sent it in and basically forgot about it. Lo and behold, a few months later, they actually sent me a box of bullets!

Glad I use Berger for bullets. A stand-up company (not to mention awesome bullets)!

I have used Berger my entire shooting life but their quality control recently forces me to measure and weigh and that is not expected with costly custom bullets. 338 300 and 6.5 140's for those shooting real long are showing differences even before you start to measure. I notice others selling large lots that I presume have found the same thing.

Reactions: shoot4fun
I waited for the 6.5 140 Extreme Hunter bullets to go back into production for almost a year to get more which I have not loaded yet... please tell me the move did not ruin the QC for that bullet! Are the QC issues measured by bullet weight, OAL, base to ogive, or something else?

I have used Berger my entire shooting life but their quality control recently forces me to measure and weigh and that is not expected with costly custom bullets. 338 300 and 6.5 140's for those shooting real long are showing differences even before you start to measure. I notice others selling large lots that I presume have found the same thing.

They are making custom bullets for you?

So....as they get further and further from the original design, they sell for less money? Problem is with all the lot numbers, if you find a good one, you probably can't buy 5k of that lot. So what happens is you see large numbers being sold when the purchaser finds out how poor they are compared to the original criteria.

I'll be honest I just recently switched to Hornady bullets after some sketchy lots of Berger's.. So far im getting all the performance at almost half the cost.

I'll be honest I just recently switched to Hornady bullets after some sketchy lots of Berger's.. So far im getting all the performance at almost half the cost.
I have been shooting smk 175 in my 308 . I do pretty good out to 600 which is as for as my local range goes . I got a box of 175 VLD I loaded 24 of them at 6 different seating depths per the Berger book which I purchased . They would not group at 100 yards to suit me . I was so upset I got my 175 smk back out put a 3 shot group at 100 yards touching. For the cost of experimenting with the Vld , I will stick with the smk .

Reactions: RTH1800
So....as they get further and further from the original design, they sell for less money? Problem is with all the lot numbers, if you find a good one, you probably can't buy 5k of that lot. So what happens is you see large numbers being sold when the purchaser finds out how poor they are compared to the original criteria.
I don’t have a problem getting a barrels worth of the same lot of just about any Berger bullet

Reactions: Nik H