• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Show Ur 'Ole School ' precision sticks

cattle buyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2008
NE Decatur Co, SW GA
I have a few but this 59' mod 70 varminter in 220 swift is in my top 10, I will post some 5 shot targets best to date is a 1 1/16 " at 300. Conditions were cool and calm an I was on.
P1010129-3.jpg

Re: Show Ur 'Ole School ' precision sticks

old photos , tuning up the swift ( more likely tuning me !) Fed rem 53 gr SMK's. at a 100. I feel the factory ammo has gotten better, this gun shot Norma fodder a bit better than Win yellow box super X, old 90's hornady 55 gr custom better than Norma and Fed fodder even better.
P1010131-3.jpg

smile.gif

Here is a '56, mod 52C That I have the most fun with, cheap to shoot, great teacher vis trigger and the wind will humble ur ass at a 100. Using old fed UM1 that I'm out of, I have out shot my center-fire rigs at 100
P1010136-4.jpg

Guys if U run across any of this .22 ammo grab it for me, Fed gold metal ultra match, UM1, it is killer 100 yd ammo in my ole 52,why Fed quit making and got rid of the machines they made it on is beyond me. Lotta old codgers have this ammo rat holed. thanks in advance if u can locate, it was made for 90's Olympics
I think
P1010142.jpg

Not a good pic at all but its a 1903A3 in .22-250, was my grandfathers was built before the 250 was standardized.

gun024.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little something I put together last year...
DSC_5375.jpg

Winchester 70 pre war action in .30-06 factory target barrel.</div></div>
I wish my 06's were pre war. geeze I love em.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Guys if U run across any of this .22 ammo grab it for me, Fed gold metal ultra match, UM1, it is killer 100 yd ammo in my ole 52,why Fed quit making and got rid of the machines they made it on is beyond me. Lotta old codgers have this ammo rat holed. thanks in advance if u can locate, it was made for 90's Olympics
I think
</div></div>

My 40X loves it too. I got 1050rds of it (UM1B) from a buddy a while back. There were also a few hundred rounds of the Federal Gold Medal Match (900B). I held on to it for a while and then started using it for a safari silhouette match in the 40X. The problem is the stuff rocks and I've yet to see anymore.

As a side note, I thought they quit making it due to the manufacturing costs involved with the cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little something I put together last year...
DSC_5375.jpg

Winchester 70 pre war action in .30-06 factory target barrel. </div></div>
i think ive seen you post this somewhere else and i commented on it there as well, but ill say it again.

i think this is one of the finest rifles ive seen on this website. /jealous
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wonder what glass he used, that was hi tech,futuristic when ur grandpa built her. Ill bet its still a shooter less he cooked it on hot load, hot dog shoot. A+111 </div></div>

All I ever remember being on it is a old Leupold fixed 4x scope with the german #4 style reticle, very similar to the El Paso made Weaver K4's. The rifle still shoots great I've shot several .2" 5 shot groups with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Guys if U run across any of this .22 ammo grab it for me, Fed gold metal ultra match, UM1, it is killer 100 yd ammo in my ole 52,why Fed quit making and got rid of the machines they made it on is beyond me. Lotta old codgers have this ammo rat holed. thanks in advance if u can locate, it was made for 90's Olympics
I think
P1010142.jpg

</div></div>

You may want to look at this:

Federal Ultramatch

Here's some of my grandpa's old guns I inherited.
DSC_0233.jpg

Not sure if it's a pre or post model 70, but its old.(looked it up its a 1967. 1 of 17,834 made that year.)
It has hinged bases.
DSC_0235.jpg

.25 Stevens rimfire.
DSC_0228.jpg

[have a few boxes of ammo that I've heard are worth a lot!]
DSC_0231.jpg

Pump .22
DSC_0236.jpg

The remington 511p is at the gunsmith now.
Also have a Colt Police special [.38 special]
And a H&R Top Break .38
I have pictures but this post has enough already.

I've got an old 1903A3 that my uncle gave me. Don't know where he picked it up but it was in the process of being sporterized by someone (before he got it that is). I plan on doing some work with it just haven't had the time. Still a good shooting gun at 100yds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1903A1 with Lyman 48 and Unertl
03USMC10x.jpg

03usmcrtrr75.jpg

03usmcfrtbase_2.jpg
</div></div>

Thats awesome.

Here is my old swede. 1902, Pramm sights. Metal rams at 500 yards have lots to worry about. This rifle has a lot oh history to it. Norma Precision factory rebuild, with a Norma Precision barrle sometime in the 50's. Rifle was factory drilled and tapped for these Pramm sites (wich cost me more than the rifle did) for Swedish FSR shooting.

smallPicture026.jpg

smallPicture27.jpg

smallPicture024.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my old swede. 1902, Pramm sights. Metal rams at 500 yards have lots to worry about. This rifle has a lot oh history to it. Norma Precision factory rebuild, with a Norma Precision barrle sometime in the 50's. Rifle was factory drilled and tapped for these Pramm sites (wich cost me more than the rifle did) for Swedish FSR shooting.

smallPicture026.jpg

smallPicture27.jpg

smallPicture024.jpg

</div></div>

Wow that's a very cool rifle, very interesting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Has Gun what cal. 7x57? cool ,bottom left group rocks with iron sights. I love to shoot irons on my 52 & 70 targets but my 57 yr eyes play tricks even with glasses.</div></div>

It is a 6.5x55 Swede. Love this gun, she shoots very tight with the Pramm sights. I would like to see someone shoot it who is great with peep sights, and see what its capable of. I have not spent a lot of time behind them to get real good, but it shoots good enough!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Has Gun what cal. 7x57? cool ,bottom left group rocks with iron sights. I love to shoot irons on my 52 & 70 targets but my 57 yr eyes play tricks even with glasses.</div></div>

It is a 6.5x55 Swede. Love this gun, she shoots very tight with the Pramm sights. I would like to see someone shoot it who is great with peep sights, and see what its capable of. I have not spent a lot of time behind them to get real good, but it shoots good enough! </div></div>

I've been running aperture sights in NRA fullbore and smallbore shooting for years and I would LOVE to wring that bad larry out on a proper target made for irons.

How far are you from Dayton, Ohio?
grin.gif

I appreciate all of these fine rifles you guys have posted. I have always loved vintage rifles and for that matter vintage target rifles. Really like the old Model 70's. Kudos to those of you that posted targets...I would however like to see more range reports from some of these bad boys. I have a rebuilt M-40, but I have posted it more than once on here so I'll spare you guys...I will post a link.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...969#Post2375969

My dad's Bofors SAKO .308, purchased in 1964. This pic was taken earlier this year...gun shoots lights out. I get all giddy when he lets me shoot it
laugh.gif

Gary_Boar_112210_3.jpg

Some nice guns int his thread, but that Swede takes the cake! My goodness is that a nice looking gun. I've wanted a 6.5 for a long time and have a pre letter prefix 700 LA just waiting for funds to make it happen. Thanks for the shot in the arm.

Here's my first year production Rem 700 in .222 Rem., topped by a vintage J.W. Fecker scope (+/- 1927?)

DSC_0429.jpg

And my custom built .257 Roberts on a 1909 Argentino. The wood is actually a little darker, but the flash lightened it up for the pic. Topped with a modern Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50:

DSC_0151.jpg

Here is another 1903 I rescued from sporterized hell....
DSC_5763.jpg

DSC_5765.jpg

What it was like when I found it.....
DSC_5402.jpg

Rifle is a 1926 that was sold by DCM in 1936, It has a star gage barrel and was likely a Special Target 1903. I was fortunate in that all of the steel parts were original and unmodified, save for the D/T holes in the receiver for the Lyman rear sight. Bore is nearly perfect!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is another 1903 I rescued from sporterized hell....
DSC_5763.jpg

DSC_5765.jpg

What it was like when I found it.....
DSC_5402.jpg

Rifle is a 1926 that was sold by DCM in 1936, It has a star gage barrel and was likely a Special Target 1903. I was fortunate in that all of the steel parts were original and unmodified, save for the D/T holes in the receiver for the Lyman rear sight. Bore is nearly perfect!</div></div>

Nice job. Just as a curious thought, which do you like better, 1903's or 1917's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
k982.jpg
</div></div>

Is this the so-called "Mauser sniper Safety"?</div></div>

It existed as a sniper safety. It isn't the "definitive" Mauser sniper safety. In Robert W.D. Ball's book, <span style="text-decoration: underline">MAUSER: Military Rifles of the World, 4th Edition</span> He shows several sniper variants, only one of which has that safety. (p. 199, 3rd ex.). The rest don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Mo @ Master Class Sports in CT. 203-775-1013. He has quite a bit of older 22 match ammo. </div></div> thanks for skinny.
U guys keep the photos coming great sticks!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a long range rig but "Old School" none the less.

Remington Model 37 with 20X Unertyl

IMG_3565-1.jpg
</div></div>
Im a winchester guy but the ole timers tell me the rem 37 was built to kill wins 52 glory and can shoot with the best 52 all day. Ive never had a chance to shoot one and they seem to be hard to come by. thanks