Single Stage Press Opinions

B.A.C.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2011
IC
I am very new to this long range stuff and could use some advice on selecting a high quality single stage press. I will be picking up a .308 Reminton 700 5R on 12/10/11. I will eventually be working myself up to shoot out to 600 yards. The rifle is going to be used for long range hunting. My current choice is between the Rock Chucker Supreme press and the Forster Co-Ax.

Re: Single Stage Press Opinions

Either one will work quite well, as would a Redding Boss, Lyman Crusher, or Lee Classic Cast. I've been using a Rock Chucker since 1981 (I got a late start) with complete satisfaction. I have since supplemented it with additional presses for other uses, but the RC is stll going strong!

Get the Co-Ax, yes its more exspensive and yes its worth it, anybody who recommends another press is somebody who doesn't use a Co-Ax.

I use a rockchucker II and it works well. The only flaw that I see is the opening is not tall enough. If you are going to load longer cartridges 30-06 or some mags. it is not easy to just slid the bullet and case into the shell holder. I cannot wait to get a Redding Ultramag press because the throat is taller and it is wide open. They cost a bit more but they are great. MTCW

Forster Co-ax! the others just arent as good and dont have the features. No changing and buying shell holders, full floating guide rod system etc. Its just a better design than the ram style presses.

427cobra is right, only people that dont own a co-ax will recomend the others. Basically anyone that buys a Co-ax never goes back.

CJG

I'll throw my vote in for the forester as well. I like the fact that I don't have to buy shell holders. Just one less thing to have to store. I really like the Forester locking rings...I wish I would have has the fore site to buy extra sets when I purchased my Redding Dies.

Operation of the machine is smooth as silk.

It was the first press I purchased and I don't regret it at all.

Rockchucker with a strong mount has my vote.
001-5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockchucker with a strong mount has my vote.
001-5.jpg
</div></div>

dscf0067j.jpg

Strong Mount works on the Co-Ax too.

I'd say whichever one you can find used cheap in your area. All of them should provide decades of service. Then you can brag 20 yrs from now "and I only paid 35 bucks for it!"

I upgraded from a Rock Chucker to a Co-Ax and the results have been better since. I suspect the RC I have is not perfectly in line (ram to die) which has caused run out. I use the RC now only for de-priming.

Once dies are set up in the Co-Ax its so easy to swap them out, the press really is a joy to use.

My Rockchucker has been easy to use and gives my loaded ammo with very little run out.

I moved up to the ultramag only because I needed the extra clearance to load for 338LM.

JeffVN

Personally, I like the Redding T7 turret press. I can set up my dies once (multiple cartridges) and then just rotate between them depending if I am sizing or seating without having to reestablish die height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am still using my Rockchucker 20+ years after I bought it. When that breaks I'll look in to the Forster
wink.gif
</div></div>

Might as well go ahead and buy the Forster if you want one. The Rockchucker probably won't ever wear out
smile.gif
. I've had mine for 15+ yrs, loaded many thousands of rounds on it. Still works perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockchucker with a strong mount has my vote.
001-5.jpg
</div></div>

dscf0067j.jpg

Strong Mount works on the Co-Ax too. </div></div>

Sorry to drift off topic, but what is the green powder charge apparatus in the bottom picture. I've never seen one, looks interesting.

Thanks!

I have a Rock Chucker that I never use, anymore. The one I use, I think it's called an Ammo Master, is more than adequate.

The above photo. Nice setup, but what bothers me is you can't get your knees under the bench, when using that co ax. I already have enough back problems. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remmy5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very new to this long range stuff and could use some advice on selecting a high quality single stage press. I will be picking up a .308 Reminton 700 5R on 12/10/11. I will eventually be working myself up to shoot out to 600 yards. The rifle is going to be used for long range hunting. My current choice is between the Rock Chucker Supreme press and the Forster Co-Ax.</div></div>

I have this same rifle. I like it and it's really accurate. A couple of upgrades to consider that will make it a bit nicer is detachable bottom magazine (badger or CDI precision are good) and a tactical bolt handle (see kampfeld customs, kmwlr, or short action customs). I also duracoated it b/c the stainless steel and green flecked stock didn't suit me.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...mp;l=459950b107

(don't have a picture of it with the new bolt knob...that was recent)

Just curious, why are you set on either of these two types of presses? Often, you can get presses as part of a kit at a discounted price. My hornady kit was ~ $150 off and I got ~ $150 in free bullets with a mail in rebate ... the cost of a press alone. Just something to consider if you haven't already spent the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Co-Ax, yes its more exspensive and yes its worth it, anybody who recommends another press is somebody who doesn't use a Co-Ax. </div></div>

+1

I own and use...RCBS rock chucker...3-RCBS Jr`s,pacific,herters,dillon 550b...and a co-ax.....
the co-ax is the easiest to work with and most accurate.it get used most often for that reason.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockchucker with a strong mount has my vote.
001-5.jpg
</div></div>

dscf0067j.jpg

Strong Mount works on the Co-Ax too. </div></div>

Sorry to drift off topic, but what is the green powder charge apparatus in the bottom picture. I've never seen one, looks interesting.

Thanks! </div></div>

That is my Gen 1.5 Prometheus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I own and use...RCBS rock chucker...3-RCBS Jr`s,pacific,herters,dillon 550b...and a co-ax.....
the co-ax is the easiest to work with and most accurate.it get used most often for that reason.
bill larson </div></div>

Roger that...You just can't beat it.

Don't forget a press lasts for a life time.
If your 60 you might need to do a cost benefit analysis. lol
smile.gif

If you are younger there is no question which press you should buy.

I agree with the Rockchucker crowd.

Reason: The CoAx die holder has play and so does the the shellholder.

Question: So how do you size anything within a repeatable .002 on a CoAx?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the Rockchucker crowd.

Question: So how do you size anything within a repeatable .002 on a CoAx? </div></div>

The Co-Ax is designed to have play in both the shell holder and die slot. This allows the brass to self centre in the die therefore giving perfect alignment (assuming you're using a good set of dies). In a fixed shell and die holder press like the RC any slight offset in the press will be transferred to your brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the Rockchucker crowd.

Question: So how do you size anything within a repeatable .002 on a CoAx? </div></div>

Things only float horizontally, not vertically on a CO-Ax, I get highly repeatable shoulder bumps, exact is more like it, same can be said of bullet seating. I shoot at a Club who has many past world champion shooters, one of the master BR guys turns the bases of his brass so the shells float in a RCBS shell holder on his modified Harrels Turret press, same as the Co-Ax.

Anybody notice the OP hasn't been back to chime in?

And it's still the Forster gang against the rest.

I just bought the Forster and the jury is still out on it. It is not user freindly for me, but I'm used to a T-7 and RC.
I mounted mine at a 59% angle to my bench just to get my hand around the link.

Loaded 10 rds and have runout on two that is ".005". Worst I've seen on my T-7 was ".003".

IMHO no beginning reloader needs to spend $250.00 on a Forster to start out.

RCBS has 2 Rockcucker's for $102.88 in their seconds and blemished for sale section. Buy one of these and enjoy for a lifetime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody notice the OP hasn't been back to chime in?

And it's still the Forster gang against the rest.

I just bought the Forster and the jury is still out on it. It is not user freindly for me, but I'm used to a T-7 and RC.
I mounted mine at a 59% angle to my bench just to get my hand around the link.

Loaded 10 rds and have runout on two that is ".005". Worst I've seen on my T-7 was ".003".

IMHO no beginning reloader needs to spend $250.00 on a Forster to start out.

RCBS has 2 Rockcucker's for $102.88 in their seconds and blemished for sale section. Buy one of these and enjoy for a lifetime. </div></div>

I don't understand why you'd mount it at a 59 degree angle (trying to get my head around exactly what you mean..). The Co-Ax is best used facing it square on and utilising both hands in my experience.

Producing accurate ammo is about using quality components and having a good technique. If you are not comfortable using your Co-Ax you're not going to get the best out of it.

By all means start with a RC but I don't see what's wrong getting a Co-Ax to start off with, the learning curve will be the same.

Here is a pic, hope you can get your head around it.
laugh.gif

I use two hands, and quality components, might have to master the lever pull I guess.

Jagged, not everybody starts out with an unlimited budget for this, they can upgrade like we did. Getting them started is the main thing, and maybe they will be teaching us some day.
Miles

SANY00752.jpg

Graham, do you own/have you owned a Coax? Do you have instrumented data to back up your claims that the Coax features result in inferior ammo to other press types?

The Coax is called a Coax because it allows the vertical forces to be coaxially aligned while the "work" is being held parallel between the die holding and shell holding surfaces.

The horizontal movement allowed by the slotted die holder and spring loaded shell holder jaws allow this alignment to take place, while the horizontal surfaces are held parallel during movement.

The upper part of the lock ring always received pressure from the same parallel flat surface. The case head always receives pressure from the same part of the base of the press. This is what determines the shoulder bump, bullet seating depth, etc. There is no float associated with the contact points for the die and the case on the vertical axis.

It works, and is a very convenient setup for one that loads several chamberings. With the die lock rings locked in place and no screwing of the die down into the press, the dies are the same EVERY TIME you engage them in the press. No opportunity for error.

The exact opposite of this would be any conventional C or O press and Lee dies with the o-ring rings that do not lock. This setup is ripe for inconsistency. Screw locking rings on the die with a conventional press has the ability to be repeatable if you use index marks on the die and press to make sure they have the same tension every time.

Interestingly I find when using a C press and screwing in the dies that being precise with their placement can vary with temperature. You can't just take them to the same tension every time. You have to manually index them and deal with sometimes this can be done by hand, sometimes it cannot, sometimes you can put them in by hand but must remove them with tools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic, hope you can get your head around it.
laugh.gif

I use two hands, and quality components, might have to master the lever pull I guess.

Jagged, not everybody starts out with an unlimited budget for this, they can upgrade like we did. Getting them started is the main thing, and maybe they will be teaching us some day.
Miles

SANY00752.jpg
</div></div>

Right I'm with you now!

Well listen I hope your co-ax works out for you, they really are fine pieces of engineering, however I acknowledge they're not going to be for everyone. If it doesn't work out I bet you'll sell it in a heartbeat in the for sale section.

I agree with you to a point, however if I knew now what I did when I first started out I wouldn't have bits of reloading kit I'm never going to use again cluttering up the place! The OP did after all express a wish to buy either the RC or the Co-Ax.

Two things. First, 59 degrees; registered with me as tilt, rather than orientation like 2 o' clock, or 3 o'clock. Second, it looks like milo is rather left handed? BB

edit: it's been said before but is worth repeating. It's hard to beat straight line seating dies and an arbor press. Case closed.

milo,

Been using a Co-Ax for a couple years and honestly can't say I've ever felt the need to mount it at a wonky angle like that. Generally I put the case on the shell plate, put the bullet in the case neck and let go, relying on the chamfer of the case mouth and the angle of the boat tail to keep things aligned enough until they enter the seating die. On the rare occasions that I use flat-base bullets it is a little more tedious having to hold everything together while raising the ram but its not that big of a deal.

Getting the shorty handle helps some - you can situate yourself a little further over to the right without getting clobbered by the handle while operating it, which makes accessing things with your left hand easier... but I still do 99% of operations with the right hand. Sounds like you're wanting to keep your right hand on the handle and pass things in solely with your left... as you've found, it doesn't really work that way with this press design. It took me a little while to adjust coming from a Redding M25 6-hole turret (predecessor to the T-7).

Another option that I've seen others do in the past (but for the life of me can't find by searching the web now...) is to manufacture new side links by taking some cold-rolled steel strap and fabricating new side links that are a right angle instead of being straight like the OEM ones - which opens up the side access somewhat. Never tried it, but it might be an option if you just can't stand not being able to reach in there with your left hand...

BB,
I'm extremely right orientated. Might see buddy Calvin this aft, he wants a NF scope I have.

That "wonky" angle happens to work for me so far. I'm waiting on some plate from Tomakuoro so I can drill and tap two sets of mounting holes. This angle for seating, swivel it to the right a little for sizing. It is actually infuckingenius.
I do use the short handle also.
When I sit on my stool, most of my weight rests on my left ass cheek. You guys think that is what's throwing me off?
wink.gif

MainReloadingBench.jpg

I owned a Forster Co-Ax, didn't care for the ergonomics of the press. Not saying it's not a good press, just not for me. My Rockchucker was sloppy, maybe I had a lemon, but it was not the press the Ultramag is. The pic shows the ones I kept. I actually have two of the Lee Classic Turret presses. All the classic stuff I've tried I really like it a lot.

"Question: So how do you size anything within a repeatable .002 on a CoAx?"

You'll get that much shoulder sizing variation in spring back in a single box of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham, do you own/have you owned a Coax? Do you have instrumented data to back up your claims that the Coax features result in inferior ammo to other press types? </div></div>Yes.
No.

I never said that the CoAx (or its features) produce inferior ammo. I asked a question. I like your answer, BTW, but please don't misquote me by adding your conclusion to what I posted.

I asked whether one can size to a repeatable .002 on a CoAx. If you can, tell me how. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, because I've tried and I can't do it.

Graham... Not sure what to tell you. Assuming you're talking about sizing the case for headspace w/i 0.002"... I really don't do anything different than I do on any other press. I've got a set of inserts that fit on my calipers (Hornady/SP, newer ones from Sinclair Int'l)... I lube the cases with die wax (used to be Imperial, then Redding, currently Hornady), use a Redding Type 'S' f/l bushing die with a carbide expander ball... I generally bump the shoulder back 0.001-0.002" for rifle cases, 0.003-0.004" for gas guns. Its certainly repeatable, and doesn't seem to have much (in my experience) to do with the press. You can fudge things a bit by leaning on the press handle (or not) even with it against the stop, but I've found that to be true of other presses I've had (M25 turret, Redding Big Boss, RCBS Partner, Dillon 550, etc.).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I asked whether one can size to a repeatable .002 on a CoAx. If you can, tell me how. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, because I've tried and I can't do it. </div></div>

I do get repeatable results, both in shoulder bumping and bullet seating. I can only tell you what I do / use:

Forster FL / Redding body dies
Imperial Wax
Anneal after every firing

I measure the shoulder dims with the RCBS Precision Mics and use the Hornady COAL kit for bullet seating.

I have used the same RCBS Rock Chucker since 1981, still going strong. If I ever wear this one out I would try a Forster Co Ax, but I will probably wear out first. I have loaded on a RC everything from 300 WBY to 204 without a problem, just keep it clean lube it every year or two
smile.gif
and it will work for you, A used one, in my opinion would still be as good as a new one or maybe better.