• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sitka pissed off Euro optic

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    What did Sitka do to piss off Euro optic? Seems like a bold move on Euro optic’s part.
    IMG_7249.png

Times are tough.......Seeing this a lot more often in the last year. When product doesn't move and you have invested.........Time to make it happen. On the other hand......No manufacture ever wants their product devalued. Not sure of the situation, but makes you think. I believe Sitka products have been on discount there for some time.

Their e-mail to customers
    Sitka Liquidation Sale. 30% Off Everything
    EuroOptic ownership believes that a person or company is only as good as their word.
    Our values will never be sacrificed regardless of the cost to us. We believe how business is conducted matters and we cannot do business with partners who don’t conduct themselves in the same way. Because of differences in core values, along with changing market conditions, we are eliminating Sitka from our retail portfolio.
    Today begins the liquidation of 89,975 articles of Sitka brand clothing at very significant discounts that will be necessary and unavoidable under the circumstances. EuroOptic has been the largest volume Sitka brand dealer in the world for some time and clearly holds the largest inventory. If you’ve been waiting to buy, now is the time. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.

Bet it's as simple as it's not selling and Sitka wouldn't allow sale prices to move inventory.

I've seen what store cost is on Sitka. I'd be surprised if they had $100 into making a $450 jacket.
    They leave a ton of that margin to the retailer to entice them into filling their store with 100-200%+ margins that move at a snails pace.

I've been using and happy with SKRE. It has worked great the few days a year I use it for a fraction of the price.

But I've still shot more things wearing a pair of Carhartt duck pants and a faded black hoodie than in camo.

But I've still shot more things wearing a pair of Carhartt duck pants and a faded black hoodie than in camo.

Not to mention old BDU’s and M40 jackets… and the same Johnson Wool Mills pants I’ve had for 30 years…

All that high end technical gear is outrageously priced for a label.

No idea why EuroOptic is parting ways… but I’ll stick with EuroOptic!

Sirhr

I noticed the wording in the email from europtic and it’s obviously more than just business or product moving slowly.

Bringing values into verbiage clearly takes it to a different level.

Would love to know if it’s politics or something else.

I’m 6’8” 215 and a Sitka large tall is the perfect fit for me. I’ve tried some of the other brands and can’t find anything that isn’t cut like a baggy tent. Kings Camo has been pretty good but it’s not as nice as Sitka.

When it’s 95 degrees out and humid during archery season the higher end technical gear makes a huge difference in lightweight, breathable clothes.

The cold weather gear is lighter, less bulky and warmer than my work clothing too.

I like having nice stuff and Sitka fits me the best. First Lite is a pretty good fit too.

Reactions: Jdowns0415
    "hunting" clothes are fucking gay

The most successful hunter I've known my whole life always wore jeans, a flannel button up, an orange vest, his work boots, and an orange trucker hat

You clearly do not go on backpack hunts in the mtns….

you likely will hunt 18F - 60F with a variety of weather patterns in a 6- 8 hr period.
    All miles from a vehicle

When it’s 95 degrees out and humid during archery season the higher end technical gear makes a huge difference in lightweight, breathable clothes.

The cold weather gear is lighter, less bulky and warmer than my work clothing too.

I like having nice stuff and Sitka fits me the best. First Lite is a pretty good fit too.
    We don't have temps like that during archery season up here

You clearly do not go on backpack hunts in the mtns….

you likely will hunt 18F - 60F with a variety of weather patterns in a 6- 8 hr period.
    All miles from a vehicle
    Nope. We don't have that here.

Still not changing my view on it lol. The pioneers didn't have fancy chinese hunting clothes.

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify. Where I'm from hunting isn't generally looked at like some adventure sport where you go up into the mountains and hike around for game. It's more of a "I need to put more meat into the freezer ASAP" thing. Or it used to be anyway. Vast majority of people I know that hunt don't have fancy gear and if they do it's just because they splurged. So I like to poke fun at the whole camo hunting turbo high speed crowd.

Reactions: JMo22 and Cody S
    Nope. We don't have that here.

Still not changing my view on it lol. The pioneers didn't have fancy chinese hunting clothes.

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify. Where I'm from hunting isn't generally looked at like some adventure sport where you go up into the mountains and hike around for game. It's more of a "I need to put more meat into the freezer ASAP" thing. Or it used to be anyway. Vast majority of people I know that hunt don't have fancy gear and if they do it's just because they splurged. So I like to poke fun at the whole camo hunting turbo high speed crowd.
    Yeah, you are definitely not Sitka's target market.

For those that hunt differently and value high performance gear, the high end clothing makes a huge difference in your ability to move quietly in warm clothes without feeling like you're wearing a pillow around your body when it's cold out.

When it's hot out, you can cover up without feeling like a kid wearing a trash bag at fat camp.

It seems like most guys on this site like nice stuff.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
    "When it's hot out...." it's not hunting season. :D If it's hot, it's late spring turkey season and I can sweat in cheap clothing. ;)

I need a new mid weight jacket and a new heavy jacket, so I scoured the sales several times. I tried and tried. Went back several times throughout the night. But no matter, I dug deep and it still kept coming down do basically it's not much more than a $225 hooded sweatshirt. (the words of people who owned them) Nah.

Watching review videos there was lots of "this one is light, not too warm. This one's okay, but in the middle. This one is warm but not warm enough by itself." Yes I understand the concept of layering, but it's also a great strategy... you need this one to wear under this one, and then wear this one over those two. Those three add up to $1200.00 Throw in a $175.00 shirt and some$150 thermals and bingo, you're snug as a bug in a rug! And broke.

Yeah, you are definitely not Sitka's target market.

For those that hunt differently and value high performance gear, the high end clothing makes a huge difference in your ability to move quietly in warm clothes without feeling like you're wearing a pillow around your body when it's cold out.

When it's hot out, you can cover up without feeling like a kid wearing a trash bag at fat camp.

It seems like most guys on this site like nice stuff.
    Sure. But I would argue the vast majority of actual hunters are not their target market. More like dentists with more money than sense.

Reactions: hkguns and Cody S
    I fully get the "Why sell three $200 jackets if we can sell one $600 jacket?" business model. If you can stay in business doing it, God bless.

I want my $600 jacket (or $200 jacket) to be worth it, value for product, not priced up for a brand's name, hype, fanboy fee, or paying for an expensive marketing campaign.

Reactions: Eostech and lash
    I hit the liquidation sales or buy stuff "gently used" on the Rokslide exchange.

I've pieced together enough kit over the years to be able to wear comfortable gear year round without breaking the bank for any of it.

I agree that none of the designer gear is worth MSRP. That said, it is a lot nicer, lighter and more comfortable to wear than work clothing or cheap camo gear.

Reactions: Hondo1 and adubeau
    "hunting" clothes are fucking gay

The most successful hunter I've known my whole life always wore jeans, a flannel button up, an orange vest, his work boots, and an orange trucker hat
    As others have said...I am all about gettin er done old school, but I would rather shit in my hands and clap than wear jeans hunting ever again. I did that shit when I was a kid and still have unpleasant dreams about the giant frozen jeansicles after out hunting. Or the stiff as a board woolies that you had to hike like a robot in when it was "real cold". There is zero doubt the newer style hunting clothes (Sitka, Kuiu, Kings, etc) are FAR SUPERIOR to their predecessors. I have a set of Kuiu pants I wore when I had my mountain goat tag and they were incredible. Waterproof, windproof, quiet, warm, AND easy to hike in.

Sitka was the original "performance" outdoor manufacturer and like most companies, grew and probably lost touch with their base after hiring a bunch of bean counters and fancy degree fuckwits. See it happen all the time.

I have been running Forloh gear as of late, I like it and it is Made In The USA. As per usual though, real expensive.

As a side note, the most successful "hunter" I know also did wear jeans, a flannel (probably not an orange vest though) and cowboy boots. He was a rancher and had a shitload of alfalfa that every critter in 100 sq miles would flock to. He killed a bunch of really big bulls and bucks, I am guessing not real far from his pickup, tractor, or 4 wheeler. Back in the good ol days he would shoot something gigantic and just drove around the rest of hunting season with the skull and horns in his flatbed just to sort of rub it in to all of us city folk aimlessly wandering around the public land hoping some really lost and stupid 2 year old deer or elk would cross our path.

Sounds like a lot of angry poor noises! 🤣

If you want elk in CO, you hunt with 300 other idiots on BLM blasting at a herd of running elk, pay huge trespass fees, or go hiking.

Hiking further from the F150 and ATV Stalk crowd increases odds significantly.

I spend a lot of time in the woods hunting.
    Archery season begins Sept 2
    I usually hunt a lot till mid Jan.

Then there is turkey and spring bear in other places.
    We live largely on game meat, and it is a great part of fitness and enjoying the outdoors for me.
    Of course, I could hunt or fish almost every day and be happy.