• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Slide Stop Extension 1911

Re: Slide Stop Extension 1911

What is YOUR purpose for getting one?

Competition? Then. ehhh maybe. As one other said above, if you have thumbs stacked on left side of gun(assuming you're a righty) thumbs can get "in the way" and push down inadvertantly on the slide stop, thus not locking slide to the rear upon last round fired.

Home Defense? - then I'd say NO, do *NOT* get it.

My belief on slide stop is just as the name says, stops the slide. The more sure means of moving the slide is left palm on left side of slide, wrap over top with left finger-tips on right side of slide. A "fist" interupted by the slide. This technique is a gross motor skill more likely to remain in tact under stress than the fine motor skill of your thumb finding that tiny little platform on the slide stop.

Competition and Defense are two COMPLETELY different realms though.

Hope that helps!

-G45

As in...

No I don't have one. And no I don't recommend them. Even most the competition guns don't use them.

@ Glock .45
I don't agree with you. I've always found it faster and easier to use the slide stop to release the slide. Your technique suggestion works best for guns that don't really have enough meat to reliably release the slide with your thumb. And according Ayoob's column in the january/ february 1999 issue of American Handgunner, Ayoob feels the same way. I know its always been figured that chambering a round and malfunction clearance drills would thusly be performed the same way, but my experience doesn't support it. Now, on a Glock, it may be a different story, but I'm basing my conclusions on thousands of rounds through 1911s as well as shooting with a former Washington State Champion IDPA shooter (at the time he used a 1911 now uses a Glock). His experience and conclusions on this match mine. But it does simplify things for newbies.

I slingshot myself. If my gun goes empty in competition, I've already screwed up the stage anyway, so I don't care that it's slower.

nice firm grip on the top of the slide to release it when locked back. no need for extended pieces that make your weapon wider. a slide stop is not the way that I release the slide so I am no need for bigger controls in that area

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
@ Glock .45
I don't agree with you. I've always found it faster and easier to use the slide stop to release the slide. Your technique suggestion works best for guns that don't really have enough meat to reliably release the slide with your thumb. </div></div>

Sorry if I was unclear. You bring up a valid point though. ONLY REF COMPETITION shooting(in my humble opinion.)

I do agree that it's faster, *IF* you succeed in manipulating the slide stop the first attempt!! If you miss the lever, or don't exert enough force on it, you've lost precious time. Google "Travis Tomasie Reload" look for the video, and yes, you'll see how quick the slide-stop can be to execute a reload.

As to the other poster who made referece to running out of ammo on a stage, it's their fault. Sure, but things happen.
smile.gif
that's the fun of competition isn't it? Gunning a six-stage match, 5/6 are solid runs. Sixth one, drop a mag in the dirt, don't seat a magazine in securely, short-loaded a magazine by accident. DOH!!! God that always sucks!

In the end, how you train, and make the gun fit you. that's the beauty, we can swap, change, machine, fabricate to make it our own.

Have fun!

-G45

@ Glock.45

I've seen that video. My aforementioned friend knows Travis. And truthfully, I see the reload technique itself being far more likely to be f'd up than the the release of the slide. Lol. Somehow, I think a reload outtakes video would be hilarious.