Sniper Rifle Game

Re: Sniper Rifle Game

Curious...why would an AS 50 max out at 1500 and a Tac 50 max out at 2000?

You need to put in some research time or this game will suck and be a failer.

Go online and research, go to JBM ballistics and get data, go to ammo manufacturers and get muzzle velocities.

Stated max range is, quite simply, to easy and not really accurate. Are you accounting for altitude? How about different projectile weights? These all make a difference.

Sorry I did mean 375 not 275 and I cant do any research I do not have broadband yet. The game will take into account all environment attributes. Am solely working on stats and getting as much ingo as I can before worrying about altitude yet that will be worked out in code.

I don't want to sound negative here, but I'm a computer programmer and understand all that's going to have to go into the development of this game, and personally I think you need to focus on development practices before you get into the details of all the individual weapons AntBirch, or you're going to wind up stalling out with a project that isn't going anywhere. You're going about the design backwards, you start off with a rough proof of concept, implement and test your features one by one, and then, only in the final polishing stages of the game, when you're 90% finished, do you add in the diverse things such as multiple guns, and pretty graphics and pretty interfaces.

My constructive point is you need to get a very rough, literally point and shoot interface going, where you put the + on the target, at any distance, pull the trigger, and hit the target; like a laser. No weapon statistics, no dozens of weapons, just one rifle, using rough numbers, so that you can test each feature as you put it in one by one. Once you have a laser rifle, put in hang time, then bullet drop, then windage, then altitude, then humidity. Get each feature fully functioning with a test rifle, prototyping the entire time, before you start getting into the details of each individual rifle.

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck on getting this project going, it would be really cool to have a fun realistic shooter, but you do need to realize that modern games are done with teams of hundreds of professionals with hundreds of millions of dollars and take years to produce, even when they're using a standard engine like the quake, unreal, or velocity physics engines.

Hey,

I am a game designer and have a national diploma in Games Dev and am currently finishing my 3rd year at university doing Games Design. The reason I'm going about it this way is because I will not have time to start programming yet and want tou complete all stats and maths before. I understand some people would rather start game physics first but I do it this way as is a small project. I do not know much about rifles so this is where all your knowledge is needed. Current problem is that I'm not sure exactly what cartridges each rifle can take althought I have a rough list above. Also I can't find what the max capacity of each cartridge is. Finally muzzle velocity seems to be determined with which cartridge is used but then the guns capabilities change what the muzzle velocity is aswell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I hope this helps, and I wish you luck on getting this project going, it would be really cool to have a fun realistic shooter, but you do need to realize that modern games are done with teams of hundreds of professionals with hundreds of millions of dollars and take years to produce, even when they're using a standard engine like the quake, unreal, or velocity physics engines.
</div></div>

That is true for AAA blockbuster games, but the industry is changing (or growing, I should say.) There is a whole world of small indie developers producing all sort of games for mobile platforms or DLC and the like.