• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

So I got a borescope and WTF is this in my barrel?

Thing is I've shot 1/2" groups with Hornady American gunner and never suspected an issue so maybe it's not really affecting accuracy. It may cause premature fouling which could. Just surprised to see it there.

Here's a full vid from breech to muzzle. There are some other spots in there. Along with some reamer marks.

Overall, how does my barrel look? I have about 350rds on it.

I would shoot some David Tubbs final finish to clean it up a little. Also I would just take out the carbon and leave the copper in to fill in the gaps that are developing due to fire cracking. Have a second barrel ready to put on before this barrel dies

Does it shoot good?
The important question!
If it's shooting good I wouldn't touch it period.

Shoot it out then rebarrel it with a decent barrel
This!
Some of my Shilen prefits are pretty bad but they shoot.
my savage barrel is hideous but shot well.

my first cut rifled barrel done by someone highly recommend here was absolutely beautiful in the bore and chamber.
it also shoots awesome but cost a lot more.

Reactions: sinister and lash
If you didn’t have a borescope you wouldn’t know or care because it shoots so well. Only pull it back out when something fucky rears it’s head. I want a bore scope and will get one soon but I’m not going to worry too much about what I find if it’s shooting well.

7AA56DF2-90D6-4FC2-8168-EE82D4F7140F.jpeg

If it really bugs you and you see some loss in accuracy you can always run some BoreShine through it but otherwise I'd keep shooting it until it's time for a new one, and then get a PROOF Research, or a Bartlein.

You know what I use my bore scope for?....I mean besides post cleaning to see how well I did.....I will load up a dummy round and use the a borescope to see how centered the round is chambered...how far a VLD is from the lands when I have to jump due to magazine length....and I'll even use it to record how the firing pin is working.

I will use a bore scope to check a barrel of a gun I'm going to buy...and then down talk the price because of some micro inclusion that won't affect anything at all. :)

Reactions: Loner
You know what I use my bore scope for?....I mean besides post cleaning to see how well I did.....I will load up a dummy round and use the a borescope to see how centered the round is chambered...how far a VLD is from the lands when I have to jump due to magazine length....and I'll even use it to record how the firing pin is working.

I will use a bore scope to check a barrel of a gun I'm going to buy...and then down talk the price because of some micro inclusion that won't affect anything at all. :)

I get where you are going, but I’m pretty sure if you can decree that a round is not concentric to the bore visually through a camera there is something serious off!

I get where you are going, but I’m pretty sure if you can decree that a round is not concentric to the bore visually through a camera there is something serious off!

I'm thinking more of the nerdy aspect of reloading. When I chamber my 300PRC...with that tight chamber tolerance..that round is damn near perfectly centered....when I chamber my 8mm Mauser...the slop of the chamber is enough to see with your borescope and see that it is a little low of being centered. I'll jam the lands with these loads and get better accuracy...instead of jumping the hot dog down the hall way and getting some off axis torque going on a low BC bullet.

Reactions: AIAW
I'm thinking more of the nerdy aspect of reloading. When I chamber my 300PRC...with that tight chamber tolerance..that round is damn near perfectly centered....when I chamber my 8mm Mauser...the slop of the chamber is enough to see with your borescope and see that it is a little low of being centered. I'll jam the lands with these loads and get better accuracy...instead of jumping the hot dog down the hall way and getting some off axis torque going on a low BC bullet.

I’m just messing with you. I’ve too done things like that also, just for “educational purposes”.

I used it to clean my ears. It looked like a clogged sewer drain.

Back to the OP....I have two Remington 700's...but in different calibers..but that doesn't matter...they are both factory guns from the late 90's. One looks like some expensive top brand barrel maker with 'narry' a tool mark or inclusion...with hand loads and a chassis it shoots lights out....the other looks like a spazz beat a steel cleaning rod through it....and this was when it was off the retail shelf new....and with the right hand loads and a chassis system...and a Diamond Trigger...it shoots 1000yd steel like it's job....which it used to be...now it is a hunting rifle...but it still looks like crap...but shoots great.

I think for people like us with OCD...we need to focus that attention to something that warrants our time....like mic-ing primer pockets, flash hole deburing, trimming meplates and repointing...load work up with different primers at 1000yds...neck turning...and the other 1000 worth while OCD projects we can do...and still shoot like crap at our local match and then blame a loose screw on a scope mount on :)

So..if you have OCD.....DON'T BUY A BORESCOPE!!!!...heh

^^^^^^^^True enough, but I'm glad I waited until they became available at an affordable cost.

Having it, but having seen my barrels through one long ago has put me in the "don't have yourself a heart attack" category.

When something goes sideways with accuracy, I can use it to figure out if it's ammo or equipment.

I also have a small library providing exemplar pictures of the bore for identification purposes, should a need arise. They are printed and kept slipped between the pages of my rifle inventory book. There's also a copy of the image library on a memory card. With time, I'll be making additional images of the bores as they age/wear. This is all a part of my "know your rifle" mantra.

Greg

Reactions: Geno C. and AIAW
no regrets.

It was a gift, or a curse depending on who you ask. The wife saw it in the recently viewed items on Amazon and bought it.

I mostly wanted it out of curiosity. Always wondered what all my rifle barrels looked like. Plus I could keep an eye out for carbon rings and overall dirtyness trying out different powders.

Still planning on shooting this barrel out.

The last time I drank alcohol was 10 years ago. I keep buying "a year's" worth of powder; I think I have 150 years worth. One of these days I'll buy a bore scope but I suspect it'll be like meeting your heros.
They’re actually nice for looking at lugs and other stuff up close and not easily seen.

I finally got the woman drunk enough for her to submit to a “close” inspection.

• Haha
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
That ring goes all the way around the barrel, so uniform, and the copper fouling was just as bad before it as after. The tear or ding in the one rifling @ 1.02 would have alarmed myself, but there seems to be no more copper in that groove compared to the rest, unless it is fanning the circumference of the barrel with copper dust.
Like said, owning a borescope can steer you towards the looney bin. I've owned a Hawkeye for 6 yrs, and use it a lot, from start to finish on barrels. When I bought, I envisioned solving non existent problems, today, it tells me when to clean, where to clean and how well, and if an area can be smoothed out with an abrasive to avoid cleaning.
I'd skip the final finish bullets, they are not programmed to fix spots, they work the length of the barrel, shoot this out and get a new custom barrel.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶