• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Solyndra 2, maybe 3.

WaltHer

Felipe Forevuh
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2009
hillbilluns, montucky
So this little gem of green energy goodness popped up in my feed today:

My favorite line:
"mistakes like this are part of the process of transitioning to renewable energy."

So I think to myself, when are they ever going to learn?"

Then fate reminds me that these fucks have no interest whatsoever in "learning."

• Haha
Reactions: clcustom1911
There are 3 or 4 of them out there. I actually thought they were running and at least mildly successful...

The technology behind it seem pretty ingenious, but I guess its not as efficient as they thought it would be.

Well, it sounds like investors in Berkshire Hathaway and Nevada tax payers are on the hook for this one. For all the crying about the environment, the BLM and soon-to-never-be-seen-again developers are sure quick to cover some pristine country in solar junk, sticking tax payers and investors with the residue.

Only the taxpayer experiences the failure, all the important players made plenty of money and will do so again.
It's very similar to how lots of the "small" oil companies operate. They use to be called wildcatters. They bring investors in and drill a few wells. These wells produce some hydrocarbons and new investors. A few more wells are drilled and shit is happening at breakneck speed. The CEO and his pals are making some serious bank as salary, investors are making some money, too but that salary is serious money. Then the land leases start too dry up so no new wells and they decide to sell it all off. Someone buys it and the CEO and his pals rake in more real serious cashish, the investors make a percentage, everyone is happy. But holy shit...that salary and sale bonus!! Then they find some new leases to rent and start it up again. And then again, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Franko
Where is the image being mirrored to?

Honest question

As was said the mirrors concentrate the light on a tower that collects the heat energy and transfers it into salt(which becomes molten). That heat is then transferred into water which turns steam turbines. Its hot enough that the salt stays molten all night and continues to turn the steam turbines.

I heard if a bird fly's through the beam of light close enough to the tower that it will get incinerated.

It's very similar to how lots of the "small" oil companies operate. They use to be called wildcatters. They bring investors in and drill a few wells. These wells produce some hydrocarbons and new investors. A few more wells are drilled and shit is happening at breakneck speed. The CEO and his pals are making some serious bank as salary, investors are making some money, too but that salary is serious money. Then the land leases start too dry up so no new wells and they decide to sell it all off. Someone buys it and the CEO and his pals rake in more real serious cashish, the investors make a percentage, everyone is happy. But holy shit...that salary and sale bonus!! Then they find some new leases to rent and start it up again. And then again, rinse, repeat.
So long as it's only private investors holding the bag if things go south. I'm all against the privatizing of gains but letting the losses be absorbed by the public. That probably makes me a sucker and a fool because that is how most everything now operates.

Reactions: clcustom1911
So long as it's only private investors holding the bag if things go south. I'm all against the privatizing of gains but letting the losses be absorbed by the public. That probably makes me a sucker and a fool because that is how most everything now operates.
Yeah...the point I was making is that the folks in charge are making HUGE salaries whether they are successful or not.

Titan Solar went tits up a little bit ago. One of the largest residential solar installation outfits. How do I know? I got a letter stating so because they did the solar on my roof. Now the remaining 23 of my 25 year warranty is gone, etc.

17246844154545123402510595656501.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: WaltHer