• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Spuhr is over rated. Prove me wrong

I’m sure that it’s just me, but while I never saw the huge attraction to Spuhr mounts in the first place, at one point they were almost the only player in that field. Now, with a good number of companies offering great options that compete directly with Spuhr, often times for $200-300 less, I really don’t get it. Especially since I’ve not heard of any issues with the competition’s mounts.

Reactions: BurtG
I’m sure that it’s just me, but while I never saw the huge attraction to Spuhr mounts in the first place, at one point they were almost the only player in that field. Now, with a good number of companies offering great options that compete directly with Spuhr, often times for $200-300 less, I really don’t get it. Especially since I’ve not heard of any issues with the competition’s mounts.
for me it was the level and ease of mounting scope.

I always have second thoughts if the scope was “straight”. Even if it’s not straight but in think it is and can check it lol.

And i have had levels that spun in transit going on planes /hunts. etc

So it was a easy button

Get off the plane, confirm zero and confirm scope with little triangle.

Years later using custom actions and AI type rifles there aren’t any actions that the rail isn’t parallel or screwed up on install.

So putting a level on the rail is no issue

Plus I like the look of one piece mounts personally

Reactions: lash

Pros that kept me buying Spuhr mounts.

The accessory attachment points and options are the best on the market. If you need a diving board there's a lot of sizes available. Send It electronic level and HH data card both have mounts. Mount any RDS at multiple locations. Mount pic rails for mini radar chronos. And all the other stuff that can bolt on to the Spuhr mounts.

Built in level is nice, not always easily usable but it's there and out of the way.

The leveling wedge is nice for installing scopes.

Slim profile is nice, it's easy to always see turrets.

The accessories are the best pro for a Spuhr, the others are nice-to-haves. But now that I've experienced first hand that they can random crack when installed to spec I'm done buying Spuhr mounts. I don't move around scopes, above all I want a reliable mount that I can install and forget about.

Reactions: BurtG and lash
thoughts if the scope was “straight”
0BAB44E8-47BB-401F-925D-129682452495.png

Never saw that before

Thanks.

Buy the one from spuhr instead, so it has an opportunity to crack too. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_20240116-090613.jpg

That leveling tool is the only thing from spuhr that I still own. I also have the arisaka kit for taller scope rings that the spuhr won't work on. Don't use either of them all that often, but sometimes they're handy.

Never saw that before

Thanks.
Be aware, if you stick with other one-piece mounts, you probably won't have enough room between the bottom of the turret and the mount to slide that underneath. They should work OK on a standard rail/rings set up, but I doubt there's many one-piece mounts that have enough clearance for it. I absolutely do love that feature on the Spuhr, but it works because they machine the slot into the base itself, so it doesn't need clearance for a separate part with the slot in it.

Reactions: brianf
Be aware, if you stick with other one-piece mounts, you probably won't have enough room between the bottom of the turret and the mount to slide that underneath. They should work OK on a standard rail/rings set up, but I doubt there's many one-piece mounts that have enough clearance for it. I absolutely do love that feature on the Spuhr, but it works because they machine the slot into the base itself, so it doesn't need clearance for a separate part with the slot in it.
Was thinking the same

I noticed there are 2 sizes.

I’ll measure a few tonight

bought 2 gen 3 razors a little while ago with arc one piece mounts

I have some new stuff showing up soon, and some I know I won’t use very often so I’ll put those on them

If I like the set up I’ll buy a few more.

Never tried either brand so I’ll see what fits

Those leveling wedges are nearly pointless IMO. You need to true your reticle to gravity, there's no sense leveling off the bottom of the scope.
Im always OCD that something that is off between the rifle and scope.

Yes it makes zero sense to any logical person, but when “ think” I have confidence in my gear I shoot better.

Like when I raced if I used someone else’s car etc, in the back of my head I was waiting for a screw to come loose

Yup..just bat shit crazy since birth lol

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
Im always OCD that something that is off between the rifle and scope.

Yes it makes zero sense to any logical person, but when “ think” I have confidence in my gear I shoot better.

Like when I raced if I used someone else’s car etc, in the back of my head I was waiting for a screw to come loose

Yup..just bat shit crazy since birth lol
There is a higher chance that it's off using one of those wedges than if you hung a plumb bob and trued it to that.

That being said I leveled a friends scope using a plumb bob then trued up his level and when he looked through it he said it's crooked. I said well it's not gravity doesn't lie. He proceeded to move it to where it looked straight. oh well can't help the ignorant

There is a higher chance that it's off using one of those wedges than if you hung a plumb bob and trued it to that.

That being said I leveled a friends scope using a plumb bob then trued up his level and when he looked through it he said it's crooked. I said well it's not gravity doesn't lie. He proceeded to move it to where it looked straight. oh well can't help the ignorant
Whether it is level or not depends on if the plumb bob is MIL, MRAD, TMOA, MOA, SMOA, or IPHY.

Jk

Last edited:

Whenever I have my rifle/scope level it always look slightly canted to the left. Dunno why…don’t really care.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Spuhr is for poors.

Near Mfg with customized spacing for the win.
Near is also an excellent company with excellent rings/mounts. I never noticed they were stupid spendy. I just know that the ones I got were damn good!

Sorry for the necro reply... but someone dusted off this post so here I am!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Those leveling wedges are nearly pointless IMO. You need to true your reticle to gravity, there's no sense leveling off the bottom of the scope.
There are two choices when leveling a scope.
One is the mechanical level where all of the scope's internal adjustments will be true.
The other is the reticle level where the vertical element of the reticle is plumb/vertical.

They are not the same an amazing number of times.
If I were going to primarily do reticle holds on any shooting distance past my zero, I would level the reticle with plumb line or alternate method.
If I were going to primarily dial dope on any shooting distance past my zero, I would level the bottom of the turret housing.

One is the mechanical level where all of the scope's internal adjustments will be true.
The other is the reticle level where the vertical element of the reticle is plumb/vertical.

If I were going to primarily do reticle holds on any shooting distance past my zero, I would level the reticle with plumb line or alternate method.
If I were going to primarily dial dope on any shooting distance past my zero, I would level the bottom of the turret housing.

Personally I've never seen a shift of greater than .1 when doing a tall target test after leveling using the reticle when dialing 20 mils.
Granted that is only a handful of scopes, maybe I'm just lucky.

I always level with a plumb Bob! The only true way.

Reactions: Holliday and Sigma
Near is also an excellent company with excellent rings/mounts. I never noticed they were stupid spendy. I just know that the ones I got were damn good!

Sorry for the necro reply... but someone dusted off this post so here I am!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Damn Skippy. Richard is one cool guy, fighting the shitty system up North. I'll buy another Alphamount in a heartbeat. Cat won't fuck around and catch another whisker in it.

Attachments

• 20221207_161601.jpg
    20221207_161601.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: lash
This is a spurious claim...

Has Spuhr released some statement on the breakages? If so, I missed it. I’d think they’d have to be having lower sales numbers. Plus now their mounts are stupid expensive.

View attachment 8472055

I know it’s in FDE, but wtf?

$557 is crazy for a scope mount. But hey, it's 2024 and everything is getting stupid expensive.

I never really understood the appeal to the Spuhr mounts. The number of fasteners alone just seems incredibly annoying to deal with.

Reactions: camocorvette
I just received an order from ARC to my door in Canukistan. $800 Cdn all in for an M-Brace 34MM/38mm tall30MOA with included level, LRF mount, and 3 1” pic rail sections. The LRF mount has space to mount the pic rail sections too. I am very happy with the design and small details, along with the price. An MDT 0MOA mount alone was $700 to my door. I see no reason to even try a Sphur.

Are clamp breakages something new with units produced in the last few years or are there failures going all the way back to day one? Spuhr has been making this design or similar for some time.
They made a thicker clamp Bar. Pretty sure it cracks to
Add in binding scopes parallax etc. And cracking ring tops.

But hey you can put a pile of red dots and Raptars and magnifiers and levels all over it

But hey you can put a pile of red dots and Raptars and magnifiers and levels all over it

I dropped a 13 lbs rifle on the scope from 4' mounted in a older spuhr. Scope objective cut a crescent in the floor with zero damage to the optic or mount. Pretty robust experience with spuhr thus far.

Sure there are more options now that are also solid. And if the specimens I have crack tomorrow maybe I will sing a different tune, but I am not sure a campaign insinuating that all spur mounts are trash and are going to break is warranted.

Edit: Or maybe it is, what does Mile High Shooting have to say about it all?

Binding parallax?? Are you saying the machining that off or people are over-tightening things?

If it’s the former, that is insane.

So one anecdote of this?

There's multiple threads on this.

And many mentions of it in other threads if you do a search.

@koshkin also noted that (I think) the screw-to-top ring interface was different that most scopes. I think Spuhr uses conical screws, which can create tension on the tube as the screws force the ring cap into a certain location. This creates a sort of lateral tension if everything stacks up wrong.

This vs. a screw with a flat bottom of the head. As you torque down, the ring cap is allowed to float to the spot that is “natural”.

I’m not using the most elegant lingo here, but I hope you get the drift.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and BurtG