• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Spuhr is over rated. Prove me wrong

There's multiple threads on this.

And many mentions of it in other threads if you do a search.
Jesus Christ! First I have heard of that. Damn disappointing to say the least. I knew about the cracking but somehow (erroneously) thought that was earlier models.

Mile High should not be selling these pieces of shit. I certainly feel taken for a ride. I went from Seekins rings to Spuhr thinking there were a solid upgrade. Not that I was putting an overpriced turd on my rifle.

I have a dozen with no problems. I don’t use shit scopes.
I’ve had no problems with three either. No bending, twisting, or even marred finish on the scopes.

Reading the post earlier about scope twisting and having mounted many myself, I couldn’t help but wonder if the twisting problem is more an issue of following instruction and attention to detail.

Edit
Read the other thread. I would have never sandwiched that scope with the little mounting surface area it had into that mount with as wide as the rings are. Would have went with the NF or something else with narrower profile rings to provide some clearance. Still voting user induced error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holliday
D3941B16-3B77-491F-82F6-22EE5149FDDA.jpeg

I'd have sent it back before trying to install it. If the manufacturer is not capable of using the same type of screws what would give you the idea that it's of quality? Fanboys and the www pimping over priced equipment?

Reactions: lash and BurtG
I've have 3 in use with a 4th ar cantilever one that largely sits around. I broke the plate on one retorquing and got the new plate. It broke likely in the 30 in/lb range as i was headed to 45. I like the mounts , but will seek trying something new next time mostly due to price point. last one i got didnt have the 'lines' on the rear cap which bummed me out as ONE reason I would get these was for scope level and confirmation ease but im just as willing to use feeler gauge method or similar and verify on a plumb bob either way.

Has Spuhr ever offered any reason or excuse for these failures??

I know, I know getting the other side of the story is so pedestrian. But I’d like to hear it anyway……

I was told there was batch of side plates with a metaliturcal composition out of spec which led to the crack failures in some cases. I haven't cracked the new one but it's been tourqued twice. The original one broke second torquing.
I thought they updated with a newer version that has a 5 screw side plate.

I'm not buying the metallurgical BS. I've broken the 4 screw plate on 2 x different mounts (1 @ 3rd torque & 1 @ second torque), also broke the side clamp on one of their aesthetic mounts on second torque. All broke 5-10 inch pounds under max. Now carry a spare clamp for both.

Since been buying M-brace mounts & no issues with those.

I have a couple Spuhr mounts. Each have been mounted around 3 times.

I don’t think I’m an expert in any way with these things, but I have noticed that I have to sort of wiggle the mount to get the tension out of it as I screw it down on the rail.

For example, I’ll start tightening it down and wiggle it. Sometimes the mount pops loose a bit, like it’s binding somewhere. I tighten in pretty small increments.

Somebody on the Hide mentioned they actually oil the picatinny interfaces so the mount can “settle in” with less chance of cracking. These mounts seem more prone to binding than my Mbrace.

Anyway, all this only means my Spuhr will break while I’m on my pdog hunt. Which is right now. lol

Reactions: lash
Somebody on the Hide mentioned they actually oil the picatinny interfaces so the mount can “settle in” with less chance of cracking.
Yep, this is their recommendation if memory serves. Other manufacturers make mention that “rails” vary dimensionally from one manufacturer to another. I use a damp Q-tip of rem oil down each side.