Rifle Scopes Spuhr TRG/T3x Hunting Series Mounts for PRS?

adamjma

Cold hands, lukewarm heart
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Canada
Haven't found too much on the Spuhr TRG/T3x Hunting Series Mounts, so just wondering if anyone has experience with them and in particular how well they are suited to PRS style shooting.

It seems to me that reducing the number of interfaces between the scope and rifle from two (rings, base) to one (direct mount) would make for a more robust setup. And Spuhr products are pretty overbuilt, so it seems to me that the hunting series with the option to mount an RDS on the front ring is more than adequate for me and my poodle shooting Dasher setup.

Any actual experience with them on the Hide?

I run the tikka/trg direct mount on 2 rifles, both with Vortex AMG scopes. I don't know if you'd really be gaining or losing anything with the hunting setups over the standard Spuhr mounts. I suppose they'd be a bit lighter, and with less extra threaded holes. I weighed mine against a badger unimount and a nightforce unimount, and the spuhr was within a couples ounces of event he NF ultralight mount. I also don't think that the hunting mounts currently offered have any cant built in, so there's that. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd work just fine either way.

@86alaskan thanks for the input. I figured they were more than adequately built for the task but you’ve hit on the only issue so far - the lack of cant built in. Not ideal for PRS but would be fine for a normal hunting rig.

In all fairness, if you're running a fairly fast PRS caliber and aren't eating up a bunch of elevation to sight at 100, you probably don't need the cant anyway. In my 25 creedmoor, I only ever dial up about 6-7mil at any one time, and above that is rare. If you had 10mil remaining you'd be fairly close to optical center on most good scopes and still have enough elevation to reach past 1000. The cant that you'd have built in is only like 7mil anyway, so unless you're running out to a mile, it really isn't necessary.

@86alaskan very true. The PRS match closest to home (shout out to the Meaford Long Range Steel Challenge!!) usually has a 1400-1600 meter stage, but that has such a ridiculously low hit rate from the pros that the rest of us hacks are just launching bullets for shits and giggles. With a 20 MOA rail on my rig I still had to hold some severe elevation on that stage. Not a reason not to do something, but a consideration for sure.

According to the Spuhr webshop specs for the low mount are:

0 MIL/0 MOA
Height: 30 mm/1.18”
Clearance: 4.75 mm/.187" (from the bottom of the tube to the bridge of the mount body)
Length: 118 mm/4.65”
Weight: 153 g/5.4 oz