• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

SRS platform in 2 calibers vs. 2 custom 700 builds

DeathExpress

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Har Co, Maryland
I'm in the market for a custom rifle looking for 1/2 moa accuracy. I'm really debating buying a desert tactical SRSA1 since the new and improved version is coming out and in a group buy. It only takes a minute to change calibers and would save on optics. As opposed to 2 custom r700 builds using AICS stocks and bartlien barrels. . I was planning on building a .308 and 7WSM both of which I can get through desert tactical. Any input would be great.

Re: SRS platform in 2 calibers vs. 2 custom 700 builds

I sold one of my custom rifles and bought an srs in 338 lapua with a 260 conversion kit, elite iron Sierra suppressor, 40 moa dta mount, atlas bipod, tab sling, and put a Schmidt and bender 5-25x56 pmII P4F on it. That totals up to around 10,800 retail. Initially it is a bit more money, but I like using the exact same platform all the time, I also like being able to order a barrel online having it get to the house and on the rifle in a couple minutes instead of waiting in line at the smiths.

Re: SRS platform in 2 calibers vs. 2 custom 700 builds

DTA is the way to go for multiple calibers.

Consider a Premier Heritage for ease of re-zeroing.

There is also the consideration for the ease of getting a new barrel once shot out. For most non-DTA custom rifles, you have to send your rifle to your gunsmith, wait a long time, be without it for some time, remove you scope, re-zero once you get it back, etc...etc. But for a DTA, you just order a new barrel and do it yourself with their torque wrench.

However, DTA rifles are heavy, and if you want a light rig this probably is not what you want...going with a covert will help with this but you give up barrel length.

I'm in the market for a custom rifle looking for 1/2 moa accuracy. I'm really debating buying a desert tactical SRSA1 since the new and improved version is coming out and in a group buy. It only takes a minute to change calibers and would save on optics. As opposed to 2 custom r700 builds using AICS stocks and bartlien barrels. . I was planning on building a .308 and 7WSM both of which I can get through desert tactical. Any input would be great.

Do you have the link for the group buy?