• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes SS 5-20 HD ????? Thoughts

TRAAV

Minuteman
Apr 15, 2010
Santa Claus IN
OK Ive searched and cant really find a thread discussing what the people that have received there scope have thought about them after being able to spend some time behind them in the field. The only thing I can find is what people have posted on the group buy thread when they take them out of the box and turn the knobs, look through the glass, turn on the illumination, etc. I thought the same thing at first. I'm not here to bash the new scope at all or insinuate its not good or worth the money because its probably worth every bit of $1000.00. There are some things I love about the scope but there are a few things I less than satisfied with and I'm not sure why I'm not seeing these being talked about. I don't know if its me or maybe if my scope is different than all the others. My problem is with the eye box. I have a hard time keeping a sight picture and it seems as if the parallax adjustment doesn't do a lot until it gets up around 1500. The ocular adjustment doesn't seem to do a lot either. I also dont care for the magnification dial at all. First off its very hard to turn and second it blends in to well with the eye piece. Im sure that part I will get use to or just throw a cat tail on it. I didn't know if anyone else has experienced this with theres. Again I'm not trying to bash this scope. If i weren't happy with it you would see it for sale in the classifieds.

Re: SS 5-20 HD ????? Thoughts

+1 with the paragraphs. I'm not a english major or anything but reading posts like this is difficult.

Secondly, if you have any questions about the scope I'd definitely call SWFA. I'm sure that they will be able to determine if there is something wrong and if so replace the scope. So far in my expierences thier CS is top notch. From what you've described though it does sound like something may be amiss. IIRC, Lowlight was very complimentary of the SS's eye box in his review.

Give them a call and let us know what happens.

I love both of mine and am pleased with my purchase. The only thing I don't like is the illumination, but seeing as I don't care about illuminated reticles anyway, it's a moot point.

I also don't like how hard the power ring is to turn without turning the diopter, but they've addressed that problem.

So far, for a $1000 scope, I expect to be able to hit targets with it well.

I Really like my SS5-20 HD as well. I have had no issues with the eyebox. The parallax adjustment is very precise on my scope. I can see what you mean on the ocular adjustment. I also am not wild about the magnification dial. But, an excellent scope for the money!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love both of mine and am pleased with my purchase. The only thing I don't like is the illumination, but seeing as I don't care about illuminated ratifies anyway, it's a moot point.

I also don't like how hard the power ring is to turn without turning the diopter, but they've addressed that problem. </div></div>

+1 the mag ring is difficult to turn when mounted, not a big deal it's being addressed!

Everything about this scope appears to be top notch and tough, but I cringe everytime I turn on the illumination and see all the partially lit parts of the reticle that aren't suppose to be.

Not a personal deal breaker for me by any means, but I could see where someone looking for a total package optic including top notch illumination system would eliminate this scope from the running.

I'm unfurmiliar with partially lit reticles is this "bleeding" common?
I'm curious if it would had been easier to illuminate the entire reticle?

Well, I got a chance to take it to the range today. I agree about the ocular adjustment not doing much but that's ok.

I contacted Chris and SWFA to see if they can help me out though. I think I read somewhere else on here that someone else had a problem with the turret markings not lining up for them after trying to reset it to zero. It slides into 0.1 Left or 0.1 Right of zero, but it won't get into zero...

the other thing I had with it was tracking related. Seems like at 100 yards, a click (0.1 Mil) would put the bullet consistently left or right by 2 inches. I don't think this is correct, so hopefully they can help me out.

This isn't a bash, I think I just have a random bad one. Hopefully Chris can help me out by sending me a replacement. I do have their SS10HD version and I will say the features on this, plus the reticle, I like the 5-20 more. The eye relief IMO is very good at 20X so I have no complaints. And to be clear, I did not experience these problems on the SS10XHD though, hence why I think I just had bad luck. Definitely buy this scope if you get a chance.

I received mine yesterday, got it mounted today, and I've been trying to decide how I feel about it as well. I'm very new to precision shooting so I really wish someone more experience could evaluate my scope as I don't really have a very good point of reference.

My first thought was: well, I've read what's been written about the great eyebox by people who have forgotten more about precision/long-range shooting than I'll ever know but this scope isn't nearly as easy for me to get behind as my Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44. Perhaps I just need a little more time with it.

Second thought: the ocular adjustment <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> doesn't do much at all...I've been struggling to determine if I can notice any difference as I adjust it.

Third: I'm not having the same issue as others with the illumination bleeding into the rest of the reticle, I can barely make out the illumination at all even on the highest setting. I'm going to pick up a new battery to see if that is the issue. BTW: I'm checking the illumination in a semi-dark basement, not outdoors in sunlight.

I'm looking forward to hearing what other more experienced shooters have to say as more of these get out there. I'm genuinely wondering if its me, the scope or a little of both.

Stupid Newb question here: how is the extra battery cap supposed to work? I can't seem to figure out where the extra battery is supposed to go. Not that I'm planning to carry one that way, just curious.

plong, my illumination works fine. check your battery. SWFA has said some of the batteries might have been weak. Try a new one and I bet that'll fix it.

As for the extra battery cap, I think they did away with that. Mine doesn't have it. I checked the SWFA 5-20X pic thread and compared it to the pics where they had the extra battery compartment. They are different. I prefer the way it is now so I'm happy with SWFA's decision.

The Ocular adjustment only focuses the reticle, and you can't look at it while you focus it. It either is in focus or it is not.

Fine adjustment Oculars require bold moves, small adjustments will not do anything, full turns will.

Unless you guys with Ocular adjustment issues need glasses, I would suspect there is a bit of a misunderstanding on how and why this works.

The reason you think a scope with a max magnification of 12X has a better eye box is, more magnification generally reduces the eye relief. Put the SSHD on 12X and see what it looks like...while it is mounted, don't free hand it. I can tell you, the SSHD has a very generous eye box, eye relief for a scope of this mag range, beyond scopes costing 2x as much. It can be a personal thing, but trust me, if you don't like this I would suspect there are lot of scopes out there you won't like at all.

I agree. Once it's mounted up, the eye relief has a pretty good range. Definitely can notice this more when it's mounted versus just holding it in your hand and looking through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My first thought was: well, I've read what's been written about the great eyebox by people who have forgotten more about precision/long-range shooting than I'll ever know but this scope isn't nearly as easy for me to get behind as my Bushnell Elite 4200 <span style="color: #FF0000">3-12x44</span>. Perhaps I just need a little more time with it.

</div></div>
This caught my eye, I have a Nightforce 5.5-22 NSX scope and if I'm letting a new person try my rifle I always power down the scope to around 14. Most people who aren't familiar with a scoped rifle will hunt around looking for a good sight picture, so I just make it easier on them.
High power scopes take a little time to get used to.
SScott

Thanks Frank, Scott, and others! That's why I love the 'Hide! I don't post much but I read here at least once every day (usually more...) Most of what I've learned about the sport has come here.

I actually did think to try the comparison 12x to 12x and at this point I still find the Bushnell a little easier to get behind but as I said perhaps I just need a little more time with the SS. As for the ocular adjustment I do understand what it is for but I wasn’t aware of how much adjustment was required to make a difference (and I may need new glasses as well…
smirk.gif
)!

As for the illumination I’ll report back once I try the new battery.

Thanks for the quick feedback; I’ll look forward to hearing more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the other thing I had with it was tracking related. Seems like at 100 yards, a click (0.1 Mil) would put the bullet consistently left or right by 2 inches. I don't think this is correct, so hopefully they can help me out.
</div></div>

Is it possible your erector is canted? I'm no expert but .1 mil could cause an inch horizontal displacement if your erector is canted about 5 degrees.

If your crosshairs are level it is possible that your erector is canted. I leveled my scope using the feeler gauge method and my crosshairs look pretty level. I have only put 30 rounds through my new gun/SS 5-20 so I cannot really say if I have noticed any canting issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Is it possible your erector is canted? I'm no expert but .1 mil could cause an inch horizontal displacement if your erector is canted about 5 degrees.

If your crosshairs are level it is possible that your erector is canted. I leveled my scope using the feeler gauge method and my crosshairs look pretty level. I have only put 30 rounds through my new gun/SS 5-20 so I cannot really say if I have noticed any canting issues. </div></div>

Everything seems pretty level. I used Lowlight's feeler gauge method and it came out level when double checked with bubble levels placed on the rail in multiple spots as well as the top of the elevation turret. But yes, the feeler gauge method was pretty spot-on to use.

Most people don't seem to realize that the manufacturing process produces inconsistent products. It is just a matter of how inconsistent.

Over the years I have had to return two pairs of high end binoculars (Leica and Swarovski) because of alignment issues. When you look through a pair of glasses and instantly feel a "pull" or strain on your eyes it is because of misaligned tubes. In both cases the replacement pair was perfect. I did not give up on them and in the end I have a collection of optics that are arguably the best on the market today.

The thing is that a lot of people wouldn't have known the difference and would have either used them as is (completely unaware and satisfied) or would have noticed and blamed the brand for being subpar.

I bought a 5-20x50 SS and had to return two of them before I "settled" and kept the 3rd one that SWFA sent me. The question is would the next guy have noticed anything they didn't like?

The issues that I had were canted reticles, loose side focus knob, reticles shifted to the left (easily seen in a front focal scope), turrets that had "slop" in them, and inability to focus at high powers.

Every scope had a different feel to the turrets and had one or more of the problems mentioned above. The biggest problem for me is a canted reticle and I can't live with that. I really wonder if most guys check their scopes for that issue. In the end the third scope has a reticle with almost no cant and is close to being centered left and right in the scope so I kept it. It does however have slop in the turrets but It does not bother me too much. I did not have any issues with the things that were mentioned in the original post.

I have a few other SS scopes and the reticles have always been perfect. Also they have never let me down mechanically. One problem that all of my scopes have is that the turrets do not line up with the indicator mark (one of my pet peeves). I do not want this post to be considered a dig at SWFA since they have always provided me with good CS. I must be either an unlucky guy or maybe a bit harder to please than the next.

I was shooting the other day with a few other guys and they were impressed with my 5-20x50. As far as optics are concerned it blew away the Leupold scopes that they were using and compared really well with a Nighforce 5.5-22x56. They did notice the different feel and slop in the windage and elevation turrets however.

While not perfect in my mind (very few things are). This scope has the features that I want for a price that was unbelievable good. I do give SWFA a lot of credit for producing a solid scope with the features we want for a good price.

Thanks for the review above. I know mine is about to ship, and now I will make a check of these issues on mine when it arrives. I agree with you on the cant, cant is a deal breaker.

I am kind of picky about the indicator markings lining up too, but I rarely find a scope that they are perfect on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">al22300 - The issues that I had were canted reticles, loose side focus knob, reticles shifted to the left (easily seen in a front focal scope), turrets that had "slop" in them, and inability to focus at high powers.</div></div>

When you say the inability to focus at high powers, is the object close or far... or it doesn't matter? I'm curious because, aside from the parallax being around 1500 - infinity at full power at an object about 300yds away the scope is good. I think a few others have this too. Or was it designed that way??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">al22300 - The issues that I had were canted reticles, loose side focus knob, reticles shifted to the left (easily seen in a front focal scope), turrets that had "slop" in them, and inability to focus at high powers.</div></div>

When you say the inability to focus at high powers, is the object close or far... or it doesn't matter? I'm curious because, aside from the parallax being around 1500 - infinity at full power at an object about 300yds away the scope is good. I think a few others have this too. Or was it designed that way?? </div></div>

On the one scope that had focusing issues it was anything over 14 power or so. I had trouble getting a clear picture no matter what adjustments I made. That happened on my first scope so I was amazed that it got high marks for optical quality. On the other two I had no issues with focus at all and could see why it got good reviews. The glass is really quite good!

All of the scopes needed to be adjusted close to infinity at longer yardages (over 600 yards). Another thing I noticed with mine is that the paralax and the focus is a little off. In other words when I adjust the sidefocus and get a good clear picture it does not mean that the paralax is at the optimum setting. Not a big deal though.

Got mine out to the range for the first time today.

The most annoying thing I've found with the scope is that it can only be zeroed on every other tenth of a mil. I noticed this after I zeroed it for 100 yards and tried to reset the caps and they wouldn't slide back into place on the zero mark. I could slide them back on if i rotated them to the next tenth either way but not on my specific zero. It was the same for both elevation and windage.

To be fair .1 mil from a dead nuts zero isn't too big a deal all things considered but to a perfectionist like me it's a stone in my shoe.

I've already stated in my innitial impressions the illumination was implemented poorly but I almost never use it so it's not a deal breaker.

The clicks remain way ahead of my old 10x super sniper and falcon menace but after re-zeroing they didn't fall as perfectly as before (a bit of play between clicks but not so much as to be confusing what marking I'm on).

Bottom line evaluation after its first range trip is that this is still a great scope, especially for the group buy price, but there's still room for improvement.

(The Ocular adjustment only focuses the reticle, and you can't look at it while you focus it. It either is in focus or it is not.

Fine adjustment Oculars require bold moves, small adjustments will not do anything, full turns will.

Unless you guys with Ocular adjustment issues need glasses, I would suspect there is a bit of a misunderstanding on how and why this works. Lowlight quote)

I use reading glasses to read, I adj. the ocular to focuses the reticle, just like the reading glasses as the eye box lenght changes, it changes the ocular focuses of the reticle.

You do not readj. the ocular for sight picture it's for reticle sharpness only. If adj. while shooting it will change your POA & POI!

I have shot mine several times now, I do agree I can't line up my zero point wih the "0" line either, it's about 1/2 a click off. The focus knob is a little hard to get to, it should be outside of the illumination knob. I have no problem with the eye box, I have seen a lot worse on more expensive scopes. The cross hairs are a little thick, I would like at least the center to be a little thinner. Other than that I like it, might buy another!

I did some shooting with the OPs scope today.

Eyebox/Eye relief
His concerns about the eyebox are valid. Above 15x it is somewhat narrow. Much more so than my 5.5-22 NXSs. My upgraded ocular Razor was on hand today. The SSs eyebox @ 20x is pretty much in the middle of an new ocular Razor and an old ocular Razor. At 15x and below its a non issue. No complaints about eye relief.

Glass.
IMO, and all the fellows shooting today, thought the SS was better that that of the Razor. We had a resolution chart on hand @ 100yrds. At 15x I was able to resolve the -2 column / line 5 with it. It had a bright, clear picture that was pleasing to the eye.

Reticle.
Awesome. Love it.

Turrets and click feel.
Decent. Not great, but not bad. Ill admit, the more I use 10mil + per rev turrets the less I like them. Ill trade all that ele in one rev for the positive click feel and space of the 5mil turrets.

Tracking/repeatability.
I did not do a tracking test, but the OP did. It passed without a problem.

Egros.
The power ring sucks. The parralax adjustment sucks, and the ill ret adjustment sucks. Not that they dont work, but the way it is set up.

Overall, I liked the scope and wouldnt mind having one. With that said, if they get the eyebox issues and egro issues squared away, Id plop my money down in a heartbeat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did some shooting with the OPs scope today.

Eyebox/Eye relief
His concerns about the eyebox are valid. Above 15x it is somewhat narrow. Much more so than my 5.5-22 NXSs. My upgraded ocular Razor was on hand today. The SSs eyebox @ 20x is pretty much in the middle of an new ocular Razor and an old ocular Razor. At 15x and below its a non issue. No complaints about eye relief.

Glass.
IMO, and all the fellows shooting today, thought the SS was better that that of the Razor. We had a resolution chart on hand @ 100yrds. At 15x I was able to resolve the -2 column / line 5 with it. It had a bright, clear picture that was pleasing to the eye.

Reticle.
Awesome. Love it.

Turrets and click feel.
Decent. Not great, but not bad. Ill admit, the more I use 10mil + per rev turrets the less I like them. Ill trade all that ele in one rev for the positive click feel and space of the 5mil turrets.

Tracking/repeatability.
I did not do a tracking test, but the OP did. It passed without a problem.

Egros.
The power ring sucks. The parralax adjustment sucks, and the ill ret adjustment sucks. Not that they dont work, but the way it is set up.

Overall, I liked the scope and wouldnt mind having one. With that said, if they get the eyebox issues and egro issues squared away, Id plop my money down in a heartbeat. </div></div>

I was one of "the guys" at the range today with the OP and it was a REALLY great day with alot of nice toys on hand to evaluate. Be watching for 7mmRM to post the results as ALOT of feelings will probably get hurt.......

Now for my thoughts on the SS 5-20HD Fit and finish looked great. Turret clicks was firm but close. I did notice that they was not dead nuts on the 0 marks but I undersatnd its splined and it wont allow for exact alignhment but one good thing is it has no set screw to loosen and get off your 0 mark.

Glass was excellant. It easily out performed the Vortex Razor. In fact, it looked better than the old generation NXS. The focus felt firm and worked great for my eyes.

The layout of the rectical was nice but my BIGGEST gripe with the scope is the thickness of the center of the crosshairs. I still have pretty good eyes and I would like to see a smaller center section.

The layout of the parallax did'nt cause an issue but it is different. I suppose some time in the field will help getting used to.

The illumination was not messed by me as it was daytime but I do like the off position between each power setting. I coyote hunt alot at night and this is a nice feature to have, trust me on this!

I have two on order and I am ready to run my own through there paces. After I left the range this morning with the OP and 7mmRM, I went to another range where one of the guys had another SS 5-20 and my impression was the exact same so the one this morning was not a fluke!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering if it's going to be available in moa/moa. </div></div>

Not sure but at least it matches!!!! I just spent 180 bucks to retro a luppy to match a TMR!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering if it's going to be available in moa/moa. </div></div>

Not sure but at least it matches!!!! I just spent 180 bucks to retro a luppy to match a TMR! </div></div>

As in, you had mil turrets installed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wondering if it's going to be available in moa/moa. </div></div>

Not sure but at least it matches!!!! I just spent 180 bucks to retro a luppy to match a TMR! </div></div>

As in, you had mil turrets installed? </div></div>

Yes. Right now the ONLY second focal plane luppy retro they have is for the 3.5x10 MK4 which is exactly the power range and focal plane I wanted for my application.

They are in the process for a retro on the rest of the second focal plane scope as well. Gonna be sending a few more in later as well when they get those retros.......

Like several of y'all mentioned already my turrets don't line up exactly on zero either after zeroing, neither does my buddies SS 5-20, and those are the only two I've seen....both off.
It's annoying that you can't zero on zero, my 100y zero has .1 elevation and .1R windage showing, its the closest I can get. Seems like something they should have noticed. Hopefully they'll come out with a fix for it, maybe new turret caps they can send to us guys with ones that are off. For $1000 bucks and especially for the $1500 they'll be charging from now on, thats something I'm sure they'll want to get right.

As mentioned above, I think a lot of the eyebox complaints have to be from people comparing it to a lower powered scope. At 20X mine are better then the Nightforce I compared it to by far. At dusk the SS is also noticeably brighter than the Nightforces were that I compared.

Mine are a hair off at zero for the turrets, but really it's not a big deal to me, my Hensoldt's did the same thing. So if your zero is 0.05 and you dial 1.2 mil you dial to 1.25, it's not rocket science. I think a lot of complaints stem from people pointing out the kinks they find while looking at their guns in the living room and not on the range. I've never missed a target because my turret didn't line up exactly right, I miss because I pulled a shot, got in a hurry, etc. Would it be nice if they were lined right up, sure....but it's not the end all for such a great value in a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As mentioned above, I think a lot of the eyebox complaints have to be from people comparing it to a lower powered scope. At 20X mine are better then the Nightforce I compared it to by far. At dusk the SS is also noticeably brighter than the Nightforces were that I compared.
</div></div>

I agree completely with the differences between the SWFA and the NF. While I absolutely loved my NF, I was never totally impressed by the glass. However, the repeatability of the NF always set my mind at ease when running the turrents. From everything that I have done with the SWFA scope, everything that I have seen on multiple targets, has been exceptional repeatability.

The SWFA scope to me is worth alot more than what I paid for it!!

DK

I had my first "real" day with the 5-20HD shooting ground squirrels all day. While I had previously taken both my 5-20's to the range to zero them it wasn't that much time spent behind them. At the end of the afternoon today I was still extremely happy with it. The glass clarity was good enough to pick out a squirrel from similarly colored rock & brush in the mirage at 348 yards (longest kill of the day) and the reticle wasn't too thick as to completely cover the critter.

Even with extended periods of time behind the scope my eye never fatigued and I never had problems getting behind it on varied magnification levels. It is a very easy scope to get behind and stay behind for prolonged periods of time IMO. My friend who was out shooting with me had a NF 5.5-22 on his rig; we traded guns for a while and while both scopes were excellent we both felt the SS had the brighter and clearer image and an easier eyebox. He regrets passing on the group buy after I told him about it but is going to purchase a 5-20 at full price for another one of his rifles.

I didn't have any issues using the parallax knob or accidentally adjusting the illumination knob simultaneously. If you typically rotate your parallax knob by grabbing it between the sides of your thumb and index finger you'll probably have issues but it doesn't take long to retrain yourself to use only your fingertips and reach to the inside near the body of the scope. There weren't any focus/parallax issues as someone else mentioned-- if I adjusted the parallax until the target was in-focus and then shifted my head around there was no apparent reticle shift.

The power ring requires a conscious effort to grab & rotate so I will probably be picking up the throw levers. It's not difficult to find but the shallow scallop cutouts don't offer much in the way of "bite" for your fingers. The throw lever will take care of that... I just wish they were $30-40 instead of $60.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turrets and click feel.
Decent. Not great, but not bad. Ill admit, the more I use 10mil + per rev turrets the less I like them. Ill trade all that ele in one rev for the positive click feel and space of the 5mil turrets. </div></div>

This is my only area of concern during use as well. While the detents feel pretty good on my two scopes having 10 mils per revolution on a ~1" diameter knob really runs the hash marks tightly together. Combine the closely spaced hash marks with a very slight amount of slop/backlash at each detent position and it's sometimes hard to see exactly how much you have dialed in. On my two scopes if you dial in one direction (up) the hash marks always line up but if you dial down then the hash marks end up about half way with the alignment mark on the scope body. For backlash reasons I always dial down past the target elevation and then dial back up to the desired elevation so it's not much of an issue but it's still worth pointing out. This is where I strongly prefer the "giant" elevation knob on my IORs-- even though they are the same 10 mils/rev as the 5-20 the IOR detents are extremely solid with zero backlash and the 0.1 mil marks on the elevation knob still have plenty of space between them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al22300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every scope had a different feel to the turrets and had one or more of the problems mentioned above. The biggest problem for me is a canted reticle and I can't live with that. I really wonder if most guys check their scopes for that issue. In the end the third scope has a reticle with almost no cant and is close to being centered left and right in the scope so I kept it. It does however have slop in the turrets but It does not bother me too much. I did not have any issues with the things that were mentioned in the original post.

I have a few other SS scopes and the reticles have always been perfect. Also they have never let me down mechanically. One problem that all of my scopes have is that the turrets do not line up with the indicator mark (one of my pet peeves). I do not want this post to be considered a dig at SWFA since they have always provided me with good CS. I must be either an unlucky guy or maybe a bit harder to please than the next.
</div></div>

I checked both of my 5-20's with a plumb line to verify reticle cant & elevation erector travel and they were good; if I squared the reticle to the plumb line and then cranked the elevation knob through the full travel the center of the reticle tracked the plumb line. Sounds like you had some bad luck for sure. I didn't notice the reticles being off center in the sight picture enough that it jumped out at me. I'm pretty picky too and that is something I probably would have noticed almost immediately.

Also, I agree with you on feel consistency. While the turret feel is very similar between both scopes I currently have one scope has a stiffer parallax knob and the has a stiffer magnification ring. Typical manufacturing tolerances I suppose. I have 3 3-18 x 42 IOR's and each of them have a slightly different feel to the parallax, turrets, and mag ring. Same goes for the pair of Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFPs, they each feel a little different. I'm not particularly concerned about the feel as long as they all function & track properly.

Even with my gripe about the "tight" hash mark spacing on the 10 mil knobs I think SWFA did a darn good job. If I was to redesign or modify the scope my first priority would be to keep the elevation knob 10 mils/turn but make it at least 0.5-0.75" larger in diameter to space out the hash marks more, leave the windage knob as-is in diameter but change it to 5 or 6 mils/rev to space out the hash marks more, and I would add an integral short cat-tail to the mag ring. Basically, I'd add all the features & ergonomics I prefer from my 3.5-18 x 50 IOR. Tool-less zero adjust turrets would be nice too but that would probably be a big cost adder.

Are the 5-20s perfect? No, and for the price I didn't expect them to be perfect. Cramming 10 mils/rev onto that size of turrets is the weak spot of the scope's ergonomics IMO. Are they a good value for the money and do they perform at the level that should be expected at the price point? I think yes and in some areas they outperform the price point IMO-- namely elevation travel and glass clarity/brightness.

I've had mine for over a month and I'm happy with it. Other than the turrents not setting exactly on zero and a slight parallax discrepency, it is perfect for me.

My zero is about at about -.05. I set it this way so if I look at the turrents slightly from the left, they line up correctly. This way I can always tell where I'm at exactly. I was testing some loads at 300yds yesterday and the parallax knob had to be set on 150 for the clearest picture. These are the only minor faults for me.

I will say the scope has given me more confidence and it shows at the range. I love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As mentioned above, I think a lot of the eyebox complaints have to be from people comparing it to a lower powered scope. At 20X mine are better then the Nightforce I compared it to by far. At dusk the SS is also noticeably brighter than the Nightforces were that I compared.

</div></div>

I compared the OPs scope to both an upgraded ocular 5-20 Razor and 5.5-22 NXSs. Both were better in the eyebox dept.

How thin is thin enough.

I see guys posting the reticle is to thick on the 5-20 yet I can easliy see and shoot at single 30cal holes at 100. Anything 1/4 moa can be seen...

I was shooting steel yesterday from 500-1250 yds. I could just barely quarter a painted 3" orange dot at 500 yds. By 750 we had to paint 6" dots to see them clearly behind the reticle. This is actually one of my biggest issues with the trend in FFP scopes right now. For what I'm using this rifle for, I'll probably end up with a NF NPR1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How thin is thin enough. </div></div>

Personally, I'd like to be able to easily quarter a clay pigeon at 1000 yds.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

John </div></div>

That's SFP reticle territory. A FFP reticle that thin would be invisible at lower magnifications.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

John </div></div>

That's SFP reticle territory. A FFP reticle that thin would be invisible at lower magnifications. </div></div>

Yes and no. You're not going to use an FFP reticle at 5x to shoot an egg at 1000 yards. You're only concerned with center mass fire.

The PR GenII XR reticle is about perfect for my tastes:

25x.JPG

5x.JPG

But I'm not going to spend $3K for a FFP scope with a reticle I like. Not sure why someone hasn't added a thin crosshair inside the 1/2 mil mark to one of these fat reticles to make everybody happy.

I'll use SFP on this rifle, until someone decides that fat reticles in FFP are not necessary.

John

My only issue with mine is the stiffness of the side focus, illum. dial and the magnification ring. Very stiff, and the illum. dial and side focus are very sharp on the edges...no finsh work at all...just right off the machine and to anno. They need to be tumble-deburred or something to break the sharp edges.
Other than that, so far so good.