• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

F T/R Competition Stock choice

stubbicatt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
Westminster, CO
Guys. In looking forward to building a rifle for long range, I am considering both shooting conventional, slung, iron sights, and also F class open.

I am thinking a standard "Palma" type slung stock with a rail in the fore end. I can insert a device with a flat bottom, 3" wide or so, into the bottom rail, maybe 12 or 15 inches long to ride the bags, in the event that I wish to shoot F class rather than supported/slung. I can remove the rear sight and install an appropriate target scope.

I figure this approach might be better than a straight F class stock, and this would be more versatile. Or I could simply put a bipod on the standard long range rifle stock and shoot F class that way.

The match itself really sounds like a lot of fun, and I look forward to participating occasionally.

Anybody else take a similar approach?

Ray Bowman, hunh? OK. I'll check that out and thank you for your suggestion. After some thinking I believe this will be a dedicated BR or F Class rifle. McMillan make an "F Class" stock that looks pretty slick. Any strong feelings one way or the other about this stock? Thanks so much for your willingness to share your collective experience.

Regards,
Stubb

Another +1 for Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle &Tool. I have one of his low-boy f/tr stocks for a dedicated 308 f/tr rifle. Just remember there is a weight limit for ftr and f-open, consider all your components, weight sneaks up real fast.

Are you planning to shoot 308s in TR or is this going to be an Open gun? When you say bench rest are you planning to shoot competitions? Long range or medium? There are some potential "conflicts" in your plan, at least if you plan to compete, when you start getting into calibers and weights for F class and BR. If you are looking for an F TR stock I really like the PR&T stock. I'm sure that there are lots of laminate stocks out there that will do the job but I like the aesthetics of Ray's design.

You won't find a better gun builder and shooter to get you on the right path than Ray Bowman. I suggest you call him and not email because he's in his shop all day. I'm already working on my next F-T/R rifle and he's the man I want to build it.

+1 to the above. It's true aswell from what I see here in West Aussie. Many fibreglass stocks being used in F-Class down here. I think that often laminate stocks are cheaper as you can finish yourself so they may be more common at club level. I have a laminate stock on my rig but I prefer fibreglass all the way.