sub 300$ non muff ear pro? is it all trash?

tacoman69

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2022
hawaii
I've used macks foam earplugs doubled with walkers razor slim muff but the walkers get in the way shooting sometimes with my facial structure. I dont rly care about electronic and hearing voices, just want protection/no sound. is there any earbud type non muff protection worth anything in that 2-300 range or do you need to spend a lot more to actually improve over foam earplugs. seems what i see on amazon has a lot of mixed reviews.

As a poors I would eyeball those custom earplugs they would make for you at the gunshows, where they mix this multicolored goo stuff it in your ear and let it set. well I finally broke down and paid the 50 bux a few years ago. You can't hear shit with those things in and they are comfy.

Reactions: tacoman69
These come up occasionally in the px.

I've bought a couple pairs and have been very happy. I'd say the only cons I have is 2.
1. After wearing them all day long at a match, your ears can get alittle sore. But not terrible.
2. If you just let them sit for about a month and a half they are normally dead, even of they were fully charged when put up.

Other then that, they seem all good. There my primary ear pro and I've been usin them for almost a year now.

Reactions: tacoman69
As a poors I would eyeball those custom earplugs they would make for you at the gunshows, where they mix this multicolored goo stuff it in your ear and let it set. well I finally broke down and paid the 50 bux a few years ago. You can't hear shit with those things in and they are comfy.
Thx. Anyone selling online?we don't have any fun shows nearby

There's an argument (for double ear-pro) that says you want over the ear to protect against concussion acting external to the ear canal.
Interesting as I never rly shot with a brake before until recently and definitely felt more concussion when the muffs came off. I assumed it was just the foam earplugs weren't in all the way or they didn't offer enough hearing protection

Last edited:
Interesting as I never rly shot with a brake before until recently and definitely felt more concussion when the muffs came off. I assumed it was just the foam earplugs weren't in all the way or they didn't offer enough hearing protection
Sound smacking your skull still transfers to the ear canal without going though the ear canal.
It’s why so many recommend doubling up.

These come up occasionally in the px.

I've bought a couple pairs and have been very happy. I'd say the only cons I have is 2.
1. After wearing them all day long at a match, your ears can get alittle sore. But not terrible.
2. If you just let them sit for about a month and a half they are normally dead, even of they were fully charged when put up.

Other then that, they seem all good. There my primary ear pro and I've been usin them for almost a year now.
This is the way…BUT replace the tips with Skull Screws for even greater hearing protection and comfort.

Reactions: johnnyvw
I've used macks foam earplugs doubled with walkers razor slim muff but the walkers get in the way shooting sometimes with my facial structure. I dont rly care about electronic and hearing voices, just want protection/no sound. is there any earbud type non muff protection worth anything in that 2-300 range or do you need to spend a lot more to actually improve over foam earplugs. seems what i see on amazon has a lot of mixed reviews.

I love using decibulz. Custom fit to your ear at home by boiling them like a football mouth guard. $25-30 at CVS.

I have had and use several different ones, still haven't bit the bullet on custom ones. The peltors are good if they hold up and the Otto are good too but I prefer the peltors.

The deal is, you can't wear them by themselves without shooting suppressed. I only shoot suppressed so they work great for me but I definitely wouldn't rely on any, including custom fit if I wasn't 100% suppressed. As spife said, there is no way to limit the sound like muffs do with in ear devices. I throw on muffs on top of them when I'm around others shooting without suppressors , and the electronic functions on the ear muffs work well with the in ear ones so you can still hear like the bionic man ect, even doubled up.

The highest rated (NRR) plugs are going to be some brands of foam. These from 3M are rated 33 db

Or these for a lot less

Amazon Mack's Ultra Soft

The absolute most...IME...you will get out of electronic or custom molded silicon plugs is about 27 db

If you really don't want to hear anything...good foam plugs are the way to go, IMO.