Subsonic 338 lapua magnum

What would the reload recipe be for subsonic 338lm? Can't say I have ever heard of or thought about subsonic 338lm rounds. Seems like that might be a less than ideal round choice for subsonic. Heck Im always up to learn something new!

I get that it's a magnum and it's a lot of space to fill, but corbon does make them it can be done . I also understand few people are trying to take a 300 grain 30 cal round that travels 2700 ft/sec +, and make it subsonic. With that being said, I thought someone would have come up with a handload that worked well by now.

300BO subs work best with AA1680, Lil’ Gun, IMR4227, and other powders designed to work in magnum pistol and intermediate rifle cases along with smaller shotgun shells.

Don’t think any of those would scale well for this.

I standby the idea of filling the case to just below the base of the bullet with Trailboss. TB doesn’t like to be compressed, but it gives excellent case fill and low pressure.

There's talk of a 338 creedmoor... I think trail boss would be the best option for a338 lapua. I saw lehigh has subsonic rounds for a 338. I am interested to see what a338 lehigh could/would do.

Could be interesting, but the round is too expensive to hobble it in such a way, in my opinion. I can't help with the OP's question, I've never considered it. Most 338LM also have long ass barrels so will be tough finding something that keeps it subsonic but still manages to push it out the barrel without getting stuck. Also case volume is huge so will need to either get a really fluffy powder or stuff the airgap with some form of fill to ensure even ignition.
I'm sure there's an application for this but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
I would name the round "338 FALLOUT"

Reactions: Snuby642
So you're out sniping with your trusty 338LM. An insurgent pops up at 50 yards and you want to take him out with a head shot without alerting his buddies a mile away. Time to rack a subsonic! Lots of other cases would be a better choice but how many rifles can you carry while you're out sniping? (or calling coyotes, whatever) I've never worked up a sub load in a magnum but have in "standard" rounds like 223 and 308. Trail Boss is your friend there. Make sure you use a short enough bullet to stabilize at subsonic velocities. Start with a moderate velocity and work down to avoid sticking a bullet.